• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr2002

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
South Texas
With hurricane season knocking at our door and you could only afford one which would you choose?

My house is 50 ft. above sea level in NJ. I'm across the street from waterfront homes on the Manasquan River, but since we are high up, we should be fine, even if a Hurricane turned nearby Point Pleasant into Waterworld.

I'm shocked we haven't gotten hit by any in years. We get a few Noreasters but that is it lately. I remember a couple minor ones hitting us in the 70's and 80's but nothing since.

The thing with flood insurance is that if you're flooded, you probably lose things that can't be replaced. Flooded basement doesn't really mean your foundation is screwed, it means your baby pictures are gone...

I'd say wind insurance is more important because it can do a lot more damage. If you think you need flood insurance, save your money and just get everything to higher ground in the house or store it off-site. Many (if not all) of those U-Stor-It places have indoor storage...

Flood insurance if your 25ft or lower than sea level and within a few miles of the coast line, wind storm if your in broad open area's and live in a less than concret constructed home, both if you live in both, and move if you cant aford it.

The New york region is labeled as an area of considerable concern as are the carolina's and the florida keys.

my house is 13ft above sea level. I am approx 8 miles form the Ocean. I have both, no choice in the matter. If I had to choose then I would pick Wind in my area because the water control district is very good and I do sit about a foot higher than my neighbors do so all the runoff goes to their lots.

i had a minor flood here years ago completely from rain,it was the pits. i sit well above a valley the water leaked in the basement.

water doesnt have to flood in the normal sense to do flood damage

I'm 12 feet about sea level but only a mile from the gulf and I have to have both(no choice). We flooded here about 2 years ago from Hurricane Frances and the only stupid thing I did was I didn't have content coverage only structure. I though I would never flood since its been 10 years since it last flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)