Winegard ORIGINAL Carryout & R22-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitch5252

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
I've used a Directv receiver for many years with my Carryout antenna in my travel trailer. The receiver I normally used has up and died on me (HR21-100).

I never before needed a b-band converter.

I took an R22-100 out to the little travel trailer and the set-up it telling me I need b-band converters.

Can this be correct? (I don't really even know what b-band converters do...)
Just in case, I ordered a b-band converter from eBay. Hope it works, but at this point, I'm just curious!

Thanks.

I've used a Directv receiver for many years with my Carryout antenna in my travel trailer. The receiver I normally used has up and died on me (HR21-100).

I took an R22-100 out to the little travel trailer and the set-up it telling me I need b-band converters.

Just in case, I ordered a b-band converter from eBay. Hope it works, but at this point, I'm just curious!

Thanks.
A B-Band Converter aka BBC ..
They are used to get your HD, before the SWM set ups came along.
Others can give you a better explanation.

If HD is not necessary, you can get away without it.

My Winegard Carryout Antenna only does SD for Directv. But when I do the set-up, it still tells me it's needed and the set-up fails. The "error message" is something like NO SATELLITE SIGNAL DETECTED. The antenna is in a wide open area and has a clear shot to the satellites (using SatTV app on the iPhone). I guess I should consider something is wrong with the antenna, but I don't know how to check that.

When you do the SAT setup -Pick 18" dish and that should clear the message - I think you just selected the wrong dish type - NOW if it booted up and did not allow you to select a Dish type - Then it's booting on it's last know Sat which may have been a SWM type -so that may be why it's asking for BBC's -but I doubt it.

It does ask me for dish type and I downloaded the Winegard manual. Manual said to pick 18" x 20" 3-lnb when setting up for Directv. This DVR was in the house on the new SWM installation and it keeps reverting to those settings out in the travel trailer. I don't know how to "clear" the SWM settings. (sure wish the weather wasn't about to go to hell tomorrow...I'd like to keep trying!)

Is there any chance the coax is bad? Or the Winegard has gone belly up? (either case would be sad...I'm just hoping it's operator error!)

Couple of things on this.
First, you have to get out of SWM mode. When you go to sat setup, select :multiswitch" as the multiswitch type. you will then see the dish selections. Post back and tell us what selections it offers you

When you do the SAT setup -Pick 18" dish and that should clear the message - I think you just selected the wrong dish type - NOW if it booted up and did not allow you to select a Dish type - Then it's booting on it's last know Sat which may have been a SWM type -so that may be why it's asking for BBC's -but I doubt it.
Actually, he made a good point, that dish has NEVER had HD as it only sees the 101 Sat, therefore, BBC's should not be needed at all.
That said, if he can get to the Menus to repeat the Sat set up he should be able to check it.

It does ask me for dish type and I downloaded the Winegard manual. Manual said to pick 18" x 20" 3-lnb when setting up for Directv. This DVR was in the house on the new SWM installation and it keeps reverting to those settings out in the travel trailer. I don't know how to "clear" the SWM settings. (sure wish the weather wasn't about to go to hell tomorrow...I'd like to keep trying!)

Is there any chance the coax is bad? Or the Winegard has gone belly up? (either case would be sad...I'm just hoping it's operator error!)
As Tex said .... the recvr is stuck in SWM mode .... fwiw, thats common, once its been on a SWM set up.
You'll need to play with it and get it to allow you to change it to the 18" set up ..
Multi Switch and 18", you no longer want it to be on SWM.

OP HERE. I walked over to my little trailer and tried it again. Here's what I saw. The receiver has now accepted non-SWM.

The Winegard antenna is in an open area, with a perfect position pointing southish (it has never NOT worked before). I have new thin coax cable, but it, too, worked the last time I used it on a camping trip...
26231378_10213148396938551_4835984247406618023_n.jpg

The only other choice (beside SWM) is the 18" round and I've tried it. Same result. I plan to try a different coax and then I'll be stumped.

some possible things:
1.Bad coax
2.Bad Lnb
3.Dish is not aimed correct (not hitting sat)
4. R22 is no good

1) Going to try new coax when the weather lets up! :(
2) Don't know about the LNB (it's inside the Winegard Carryout, right?)
3) Dish is spot on the satellites.
4) This DVR works fine in the house, which was just switched over to SWM.

SO frustrating!

I always thought you had to specify the 18in round dish for the carryouit.

I always thought you had to specify the 18in round dish for the carryouit.
The one I have been using is a newer version but it does the Sat Finding Automatically once its plugged in, it usually take between 2-5 minutes and its locked in.
I believe mine is the Direct Quest but it works the same way.

The LNB is not adjustable as it's a self contained unit.

Reactions: vazhog
OP HERE. We're in the midst of a blizzard (go figure in NW TN!), so no walking over to the trailer! FedEX is supposed to deliver a new receiver today to replace the one that went belly up (the one that worked just fine with the Winegard!)

Last edited:

Thanks.
Oh, and for the record ...

A "B-Band Converter" (or "BBC") is just that. A device to allow receivers operating in legacy mode to receive the Ka "B" or "lo" band, which is used by various DIRECTV satellites at 99 and 103W for both local and national programming. That originally downlinks between 18.3-18.8 GHz from those two satellite positions.

Legacy Ka/Ku/(and now)RB LNBs down-convert the received Ka B-band signals to between 250-750 MHz on the coax, however all tuners used by DIRECTV HD receivers, except the H/HR-23 models, can only receive between 950-2150 MHz in both legacy and SWiM modes.

So whenever the receiver needs to tune programs on the B-band, it activates the BBC (via a special DiSEqC command) to block out the actual 1650-2150 MHz "A" or "hi" band range signals on the coax. And then up-converts the 250-750 MHz range to 1650-2150 MHz as a replacement.

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts