Internet issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by Kaygirl, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Kaygirl

Kaygirl Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Family

Anyone else having this problem? Suddenly, we can’t connect our receivers to the internet because if we do, the TVs connected to Genie minis go blank. So I have to disconnect the Genie dvr and the other TVs come back on. I’ve talked to Direct and they r working on it, they say. But it’s been about a month!

Surely I’m not the only one having this trouble.

lottadot and bgothard72 like this.
  2. vazhog

vazhog SatelliteGuys Pro

Which Genie? HS-17?

3. Kaygirl

The dvr Genie is an HR-54 and the two clients are C 61s.

4. JoshC

JoshC SatelliteGuys Pro

Mine is the same receiver, it connects, but says my speed is too slow and can't do anything, even though I have speeds over 20mbps

5. JoshC

JoshC SatelliteGuys Pro

It worked fine when I first got it

6. vazhog

vazhog SatelliteGuys Pro

Have you Restarted the Hr54 Either by Pressing the red button on the side of the HR54 or using the remote press Menu -Settings -Reset - -Select Restart the receiver (ONLY) Follow the Screen instruction press (-) to accept - When your tv Picture returns - Then try to connect one of mini's -If it connects then do the other one.

NOTE: - Only select RESTART the receiver Selecting anything else will wipe out all your recordings and setting - and return to like is was day one of your install.

7. Kaygirl

Many, many times. The internet problem started after one of their updates and Direct acted like it affected a lot of people and that they’re trying to fix it. I thought someone here might have the same problem. Guess not. ☹️

8. ZombiePete

ZombiePete Member

Hi Kaygirl, I also am having issues with the internet and my receiver, but my issue is with my HR44-500. When I first got setup it worked fine for several days; long enough to get the On Demand and other features activated. Then I got a FW update to 0x0D80 and it has been garbage ever since. If I completely wipe and reset my internet settings, along with a reboot it will work again for a few hours at most, and then it will disconnect with the "Reconnect" error in the menu. A normal reconnect process does not work at all; I have to go into advanced IP settings and manually set my IP and then reload the box.

It's frustrating as hell; I just switched to DTV from Dish and it has been a lot of pain. I've tried talking to reps and they just have me go through the reset process every time; they have never mentioned any known issues with an update. Sorry you're suffering from it too, but OTOH I'm glad to hear that I'm maybe not alone. :)

9. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

:welcome to Satelliteguys ZombiePete!

ZombiePete likes this.
  10. ZombiePete

ZombiePete Member

Thanks! Longtime lurker, first time poster. :)

raoul5788 likes this.
  11. Kaygirl

Misery loves company?

12. vazhog

vazhog SatelliteGuys Pro

Have you tried setting the IP address manual making it static?

Also -after you do that -since your new load is 0X0D80 -from the menu do a search "TYPE" CLEARMYBOX -the press search all -your box will reset -Making the ip address static will disable DCHP upon boot and it's one thing less the box will have to do upon a start up.

13. ZombiePete

ZombiePete Member

I have made the IP static; as usual it helped for a little while but then stopped working again after a day. I’ll try the box reset and see if that helps too.

14. vazhog

vazhog SatelliteGuys Pro

Doing the clearmybox- Flushes all the guide data and Vod information -so that will take 24 to 48 hrs to completely rebuild - Another thing to try have you Check your router for Any Software upgrades? sometimes resetting your router (restarting it) might also help

15. ZombiePete

ZombiePete Member

It’s not my router; I have a Nighthawk AC1900 running DD-WRT and I have done everything I can on it to resolve this, including plugging the HR44 in via Ethernet and disabling the SPI firewall. I’ve even tried connecting it directly to my Nighthawk M1 (which I use for my home broadband) to no avail.

I did change out my router after I had my DTV service installed, so maybe clearing the settings will help. It’s certainly worth a try. Thanks for the advice; I’ll report my findings back when I’m done.

EDIT: Before anyone asks yes, I did also try going back to my old router (an Apple Airport Extreme) to see if that resolved the issue, and it reverted back to not having a connection after a few hours so it’s not that either.

16. ZombiePete

ZombiePete Member

Well, I tried vazhog's recommendation, and it worked: receiver connected to the internet right away and started updating. Now, about four hours later, it's not connected to the internet anymore and I'm getting the Reconnect error. What a frustration.

17. Kaygirl

Yes, I got mine all reconnected and working again and it lasted for almost a week until it suddenly froze n the middle of a show. Yep, it had turned the clients off until I disconnected from the net again. I’m tired of direct telling me it is working on a fix.

18. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

Kaygirl posted that she is using clients, what about you ZombiePete? If you are both using clients, maybe going to receivers or dvrs will fix it. I have an HR44 and HR24 and never have this issue.

19. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master
    Supporting Founder

I got gigapower 1000 meg service connected to my HR54. Still have issues with streaming video.

If Netflix can do streaming on a roku streaming stick no less, why can’t Directv?

JoshC likes this.
  20. JoshC

JoshC SatelliteGuys Pro

Exactly, I have no issues expect with DTV reciever

Separate names with a comma.

More...