Winegard SquareShooter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I live about 30 miles from the Sacramento stations antennas and the square shooter the Directv installer put in works fine most of the time. The valley is flat but there are lots of tall trees which, I guess, could cause a problem but don't. Wasn't charged for the square shooter and you can't see it from the street. During the broiling Sacramento summers there is the side benefit of picking up the San Francisco stations from Mt Sutro which are about 80-90 miles away.

I installed an amplified Square Shooter on a rotator to pick up digital locals over a year ago. I feed directly into my Sony 50" plasma and bypass the Direc* tuner completely. I live just west of Lansing Michigan and I get great reception of all local digital signals without needing to rotate the antenna (ABC,NBC,CBS,PBS,FOX) When I rotate and aim at other cities I also get excellent digital reception from Grand Rapids, Flint, Saginaw, Kalamazoo. Fifty or Sixty miles. I'm now splitting the signal and also sending it through a Samsung 360 Direc* receiver and it works just as well that way. The only downer is the Direc* program guide on the Samsung does not support timer recording on the OTA signals. I rarely try analog signals because they are just not up to the digital quality, and all our locals transmit in digital as well as analog.

Installer tried birdwing version. Didn't pick up the NBC station. Came back with a squareshooter. Wasn't home the wife asked the installer what the cost would be. Said between 50-75 we would get a bill. Never did. Called company. They said don't worry, no charge. This was not Ironwood which, I think, does most installs. But sorry I don't remember the name of the company the guy worked for.

That funny. Some companies seem to bend over backwards to get it right while others (like mine) seem to saw "it is what it is".

I live about 10 miles from the antenna farm which hosts all seven TV stations that are Xmitting digitally here in Jax.

I installed the SS-1000 in my attic several months ago and was able to receive all stations that were xmitting in the UHF band w/o difficulty...all came in with a signal strength in the high 90's to 100! Two stations (ABC and NBC) have their digital signal in the VHF band and the antenna couldn't pull them in no matter what I did. (I have the feed split between the H-20 and the HDTV.)

Finally, yesterday, I put up the SS-2000 (powered) and everything came in beautifully...all signal strengths were in the high 80's to 100.

When I initally selected the SS-1000, I selected it because of the realtive short distance to the towers and flat terrane. I didn't take into account the fact that several stations were on the VHF band, the number of trees betwen me and the tower, and the influence the attic would have on the VHF signal.

The thing that I really like about the antenna, both SS-1000 and SS-2000, is that it is realitively compact, fits in a small space, and it gets the job done.

If you have any question regarding which to select...go with the SS-2000.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts