Wingard Trav'ler 1000 compatable with Hopper w/sling?

Instrument Tech

Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Washougal, WA
Hello all. I am thinking about upgrading my VIP612 dvr in my RV, and have been looking at the Hopper w/Sling as a replacement.

I would like to know if the Hopper w/Sling is a direct replacement (hookup with a single RG6 coax) to my Winegard Trav'ler 1000 antenna on the roof. If not, can someone suggest the proper connection for a single Hopper w/Sling and a single TV (no joeys) to the Winegard Trav'ler antenna.

I also have a VIP211z in the RV bedroom connected to the LNB on the Trav'ler antenna that would remain un-changed.
Thanks in advance for your help.....

Since the Hopper w/Sling is a triple tuner DVR, it needs two coax cables. You could put the SOLO Node on the roof near the Trav'ler and run a single coax to the Hopper w/Sling.

Reactions: NYDutch
Thank you for your response, Brussam

So.....
1.) Move the existing VIP211z coax from connection #2 over to connection #3 on the LNB.
2.) Connect #1 and #2 on the LNB to the inputs on the SOLO node and SOLO node HOST connection to the existing coaxial feed to the new HOPPER w/Sling. Add 75 ohm terminating resister to client connection on SOLO node.
Have I got it correct?

In my last phone conversation with a DISH CSR, they said they would not allow an older receiver like the VIP211z and newer style receiver like the HOPPER w/Sling activated on the same account. Do you know if that is true?

Is there any advantage to changing my perfectly good VIP211z which I own, to a Joey. Are there features on the Joey that the VIP211z lacks?

I have been thinking about upgrading the VIP211z in the bedroom to a wired Joey when I do the Hopper w/Sling upgrade. Does the Joey have its own tuner or does it just access one of the tuners in the Hopper w/Sling?

I can visualize a scenario where I am recording on 2 different channels and watching a 3rd channel in the living room, and dear wife wants to watch her own (different than the other 3 channels already in use) show in the bedroom on the Joey. If I keep the VIP211z, she can do that.

If the Joey has to access one of the tuners in the Hopper w/Sling to get her show, we're going to have to have a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who gets to watch what.........

I have been thinking about upgrading the VIP211z in the bedroom to a wired Joey when I do the Hopper w/Sling upgrade. Does the Joey have its own tuner or does it just access one of the tuners in the Hopper w/Sling?

I can visualize a scenario where I am recording on 2 different channels and watching a 3rd channel in the living room, and dear wife wants to watch her own (different than the other 3 channels already in use) show in the bedroom on the Joey. If I keep the VIP211z, she can do that.

If the Joey has to access one of the tuners in the Hopper w/Sling to get her show, we're going to have to have a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who gets to watch what.........

Good morning! The standard Joey receivers do not come with their own tuners and would have to use the tuners that come included with the Hopper you have chosen for your set up. The Hopper with Sling comes with 3 tuners and you could always make your second room a Super Joey which would add 2 additional tuners.

To make sure you don't have to go to war with your family, you can always get set up with the Hopper 3 which comes with 16 tuners!

Here is a link to show you the different features each Hopper system has so you can pick the best one to fit your viewing needs: DISH Receivers | Products | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support -- Sam F

I have a hopper with sling which I take between 2 homes. Now we have a fifth wheel and I want to get an antenna to travel with us. I would also carry a Joey to watch on another tv

I have a hopper with sling which I take between 2 homes. Now we have a fifth wheel and I want to get an antenna to travel with us. I would also carry a Joey to watch on another tv
Yes, the Dish version Trav'ler can be used with a Hopper w/Sling and a Joey. The Trav'ler is basically a Dish 1000.2 western arc dish attached to an auto-aiming base.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)