Wireless Bridge to Wireless Router

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
There is an internet cafe down the street from me offering totally free WiFi. I get the best signal on my 2nd floor, and a descent/still usable signal on my ground floor, but the signal in the basement is terrible. So here's the plan: if I install a "Wireless Bridge" (converts WiFi to ethernet cable) on the 2nd floor and have a cat-5 going from the wireless bridge to my own Wireless Router in the basement, thereby broadcasting the internet cafe's internet on my own signal from the basement, then theoretically I should get solid wireless and wired internet service in the basement, correct?

Let me know what you guys think!

Sounds like you stumped all of us. Theory is a great thing try it and see if it works if so let us know. I've been wondering something close to that. I have a router about 200 feet from here off a DSL line i have it wired all the way to where i live at if i put a wireless router on that will it work? I doubt it will if it were an etherfast switch over there it probably would. Due to the many replies to this post i don't think anyone else is sure.

i'd have to agree... give it a try. i know that i was able to connect two routers together by a straight cat 5 cable to get service to my bedroom, serving my PC & PS3 at one point like this:

DSL modem -> Wireless router ethernet port -> wired router internet port -> PC & PS3

if you haven't bought the bridge yet, try buying it at a place with a real good return policy. it sounds like it would work but you never know.

Issues i did have in this wired setup:
internet would drop out once and a while and i'd have to reset the wired router.
couldn't share files or printer with other computers that were outside the wired router.
Bittorent gave a sharing issue which needed certain ports. just too confusing for me.

but it'd be awesome to see some results!

That should work!

About 4 years ago I was staying at my Grandmas house while I was having some work done on my house and the neighbor across the street had an open Wifi connection. My laptop would not work in the living room, so I got a wireless bridge with an external directional antenna and put it outside the window and then ran a 100 foot eithernet cable to my laptop.

It worked great!

But seriously, If I where you I would just order DSL service and not waste my money on a wireless bridge and running a long eithernet cable. The only reason why I did it that way at my Grandmas house is because I didn't know how long I was going to be there and if I did order DSL she would have gotten all worried that her phone would not work or something if she saw me setting it up.

Should work fine. The Wifi probably is DHCP, assigns IP addresses dynamically, very similar to how cable internet works. If you set up the wireless router in "Dynamic IP" or "cable" mode or whatever it should work fine.

Another option is to get a Wireless Access Point or configure the router as a Wireless Access Point, and let the main router handle the routing.

Should work fine. The Wifi probably is DHCP, assigns IP addresses dynamically, very similar to how cable internet works. If you set up the wireless router in "Dynamic IP" or "cable" mode or whatever it should work fine.

Another option is to get a Wireless Access Point or configure the router as a Wireless Access Point, and let the main router handle the routing.

I'm assuming you provided answers to both of our questions? It looks that way Thank you.

I have a modem/wireless router with ATT DSL. I have a wireless bridge plugged into a router in my entertainment center to serve my blu ray player, satellite receiver, media center, etc. Works fine. Don't see why your situation would be any different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)