Wireless Data Cards From nTelos.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Didn't see this mentioned in the first couple of pages so thought I'd post the setup info for what I use for broadband internet service and please note that I stated "broadband" and not high speed. Data cards only ping slightly better than a dialup connection but they do pass a BUNCH of data!

I'm not able to get either cable or DSL. I do have a cell phone with nTelos though and I can usually get at least 3 bars sig strength on that so two years ago I decided to look into a data card for internet service.

After looking at all the plans out at that time, I decided to go with nTelos as theirs was the only one offered that was unlimited. They did have a 1.2mb connect limit but there was no limit as to how much I could download. I got one of those and never looked back.

At that time I connected that USB datacard to a Windows XP desktop computer and then enabled ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) so other computers on my LAN could us it also. It worked really well so I went looking for a router that would use that data card and found a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 on fleabay for $140 buy it now. Bought that thing and man, that setup has been great! I can usually pull down a minimum of 125kbs and sometimes I've seen it as high as 300kbs. On average though it's usually in the 175 to 200kbs range.

So now nTelos doesn't offer the "unlimited" plan that I have but they do still have the best deal going. They offer a 5gb plan for $39.95 plus tax and if you want a larger piece of the pie, then they have a 10gb plan for like $49.95 a month plus tax. Please check this on their website though as it's been a few months since I looked.

So if you're in an area that has nTelos cell service and you can't get anything else as far as broadband goes I'd look into one of their data card plans. Oh, and if signal strength is too low you may be able to get a roof top antenna that will make it work at longer distances.

IT ROCKS!:up

Thanks for this info. I have been stuck with dial-up for years! This may be a good idea for us as I really don't want to go satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)