Wireless Ethernet Converter

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
With the ever going need to have network capabilities within the home entertainment center, I needed to find an option to hook up 4 devices without running a CAT5 cable. I found a wireless Ethernet converter by Buffalo Technology that also comes with a built in 4 port switch.

Buffalo Technology - Products - Wireless-G MIMO Performance* Ethernet Converter

This was a perfect solution for hooking up all my home entertainment devices with very little effort. It also allows me to still use my WPA2 encryption that is setup on my router. Many of the single port devices that I was looking into only supported WEP encryption.

The other nice part is that the price of this device is very competitive with many of the other game adapters on the market. I was able to pick this up locally at Circuit City on sale for $59 when the Linksys game adapter was on sale for $89. The Linksys device is just a single port device so for $30 less I received a device that supported 3 more devices.

I would highly recommend this device for people that are looking at wiring their home entertainment with Ethernet but did not want the hassle of running cable.

I looked into the D-Link Wireless Gaming Adapter but it lacked the extra Ethernet ports that I needed. It is a nice device but only had a single Ethernet port on it. I hate to say but the gigabit gaming router is a bit of an overkill if you are using it primarily for Internet usage.

The other devices they offer have added ports (if needed)

I use the single port devises to wirelessly connect my ReplyTVs (for uninterrupted video streaming)

I like the all D-Link setups to achieve their "turbo" 108 mbps speeds as opposed to the slower standard rates.

So the other devices you mention can act as a wireless bridge so you don't have to run a cat5 cable from your router to this device?

An as I mentioned the Turbo 108 is nice as well as gigabit but for your basic file and music sharing to your media devices 54 mbs is more than enough for the average person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)