Wireless Joey install requires Tech visit

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I am looking to upgrade my two Hoppers to HWS and also considering switching the Joeys to wireless. I was told the HWS they can just ship to me and swap out. If I go wireless with the Joeys it requires a tech to install?

Why? No new wiring has to be done.

IF you do upgrades through DISH they require installation by their company . IF you buy your receivers , you can install them your self.

A great place I suggest is dishdepot.com. Little more expensive for the WAP and WJs but if you wanna do the self install, it's currently the only way to do it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
A great place I suggest is dishdepot.com. Little more expensive for the WAP and WJs but if you wanna do the self install, it's currently the only way to do it.
Yes, Mark at www.dishdepot.com is the best . He does trade-ins for credit towards a new receiver if you own your receiver. NO tax if you live outside of the state of Florida and he pays shipping back and forth too. I've done all my receivers through him since 2003. I own all my receivers on all 3 of my DISH accounts.

I am looking to upgrade my two Hoppers to HWS and also considering switching the Joeys to wireless. I was told the HWS they can just ship to me and swap out. If I go wireless with the Joeys it requires a tech to install?

Well they are doing this so you won't try to set up the wireless joeys and then have issues calling back raising hell at them after the fact. There are settings and such you have to go thru for the wireless Joey and then there are things you have to do at the node if you take the cables out of the equation based on specs. Things like closing off the client ports to avoid signal drop or leakage which is bs and I've never seen a problem with it but by spec they want them on it or they feel it doesn't work properly or will have issues. Dish has some ignorant requirements for things to be done a certain way when not every home is picture perfect or the same as their testing facility.

What I find odd is when the Wireless Joeys first came out they had a training video that said they would ship the equipment out to the customer and they could self install it.

To make your Joey wireless get a Netgear WNDA3100 V2 (V1 doesn't work) wireless USB dongle. Dish uses these branded with the Dish logo on them. Disconnect the Joey wire and plug the dongle in the back, go to the Joey menu and set it up (assuming you know how to set up a wireless connection to your router). This will run on the 5 GHz band. My only complaint is that wireless is a lot slower than wired when you press the remote.

You can do that, just remember, it is unsupported by dish as a wireless method, and you will receive extremely limited support from dish if installed this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts