Wireless Joey Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
After something like almost 7 years the wireless Joey suddenly doesn't want to connect (1303). I performed all the usual exercises like rebooting the HWS, unplugging the access point, unplugging the wireless Joey numerous times to no avail. No equipment ever was moved, it just stopped connecting to the access point. The access point has all the usual lights solidly on (Green, Amber, Blue).

The HWS functions normally, including the wired Joey 3.

Question, would it be correct to assume the wireless Joey is the culprit? To that end I'm having Dish send me a replacement wireless Joey so I'll know soon if that's the problem or not. Am I on the right track?

There is a way to factory reset the Access Point in the back, try that, let it re-download fromn the Hopper and then try to reconnect it from the Joey (Home Button til you get to the Diagnostics screen\2 - Networking\WA\Connect

Thanks HipKat for the suggestion, I have an update. This morning I decided to turn on the TV with the wireless Joey and it actually connected to the access point and I have a picture. I have no idea why it decided to work today.

Anyway, I called Dish with the intention of cancelling the shipment of the replacement Joey if I could but the Tech told me the connectivity was weak and I should try the new Joey anyway.

He told me they have the means to determine connectivity strength which I don’t, so I suppose this means when I replace the Joey assuming it works, I’ll have to call them back for them to check the connectivity strength. He also suggested I might do what you suggested, a factory reset of the access point. Do you know of any way I could check the connectivity strength without a call to Dish?

BTW, a few days ago I installed a smart thermostat in my house that has a Z wave hub in it. This couldn’t be causing any interference, could it? The tech didn’t think so.

Reactions: HipKat
Thanks HipKat for the suggestion, I have an update. This morning I decided to turn on the TV with the wireless Joey and it actually connected to the access point and I have a picture. I have no idea why it decided to work today.

Anyway, I called Dish with the intention of cancelling the shipment of the replacement Joey if I could but the Tech told me the connectivity was weak and I should try the new Joey anyway.

He told me they have the means to determine connectivity strength which I don’t, so I suppose this means when I replace the Joey assuming it works, I’ll have to call them back for them to check the connectivity strength. He also suggested I might do what you suggested, a factory reset of the access point. Do you know of any way I could check the connectivity strength without a call to Dish?

BTW, a few days ago I installed a smart thermostat in my house that has a Z wave hub in it. This couldn’t be causing any interference, could it? The tech didn’t think so.

Unlikely.

You do have the means to detect connectivity. Back on that same Diagnostics screen, I think if you go back to Networking\WAP, it shows the connection strength.. I know it's in there, somewhere. I just used it a few weeks ago to locate a WAP to the Joeys that were too far away. One thing, Dish started recommending the WAP be placed 5-15' from any Routers

You do have the means to detect connectivity. Back on that same Diagnostics screen, I think if you go back to Networking\WAP, it shows the connection strength.. I know it's in there, somewhere. I just used it a few weeks ago to locate a WAP to the Joeys that were too far away. One thing, Dish started recommending the WAP be placed 5-15' from any Routers
In the HWS diagnostics page in the Whole Home section, the Access Point indicates it's connected to the wireless Joey with a signal strength of 61. Is that good, bad, or marginal?
Thanks again for your input.

Update: I looked on the bottom of the wireless Joey for a mac address (there isn't any), then I put the Joey back probably about a mere 3 inches from where it previously was, and the signal strength increased to 65. Go figure.

Last edited:
In the HWS diagnostics page in the Whole Home section, the Access Point indicates it's connected to the wireless Joey with a signal strength of 61. Is that good, bad, or marginal?
Thanks again for your input.

Update: I looked on the bottom of the wireless Joey for a mac address (there isn't any), then I put the Joey back probably about a mere 3 inches from where it previously was, and the signal strength increased to 65. Go figure.
That's somewhere in the Middle. Over 70 is good, over 80, Great! Under 50, I'd be nervous. There have been techs complaining of WAP's disappearing for the Whole Home Screen (Home x3, 4 - Whole Home) thanks to another software issue that's been around for some time but that's mostly on Hopper 3's

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's somewhere in the Middle. Over 70 is good, over 80, Great! Under 50, I'd be nervous. There have been techs complaining of WAP's disappearing for the Whole Home Screen (Home x3, 4 - Whole Home) thanks to another software issue that's been around for some time but that's mostly on Hopper 3's
That's what I needed to know. Thanks HipKat.

BTW, I checked last night and the signal strength went up to 69. It seems to fluctuate. I don't think replacing the wireless Joey is going to accomplish anything.

BTW, I checked last night and the signal strength went up to 69. It seems to fluctuate. I don't think replacing the wireless Joey is going to accomplish anything.
I agree and I have seen that fluctuation, also

Sixty-nine? That's great. Mom's new installation since we split, her wireless Joeys get anywhere from 32-49 no matter where I put them or the WAP. In fact, my WAP/Joey registers 50 which the installer said was fine.

Bottom line: None of us having any issues (fingers crossed)

I agree and I have seen that fluctuation, also
I think I'm not inclined to experiment with the wireless Joey they're sending me, when I get it I'll just return it. I'll simply consider this one time unable to connect issue an anomaly. Unless it happens again.

I just checked and the WAP signal strength is 65, so I think as long as the signal strength remains somewhere in the mid 60's I shouldn't have any issues.

Reactions: HipKat
It is funny, I had a WJ in our master bedroom upstairs that consistently had signal strength anywhere from low 50's to mid 60's and it would consistently disconnect and require a whole system reset. Screwed with that for about 2 years trying to fix it myself with tweaks, it would get a little better but always had problems. I finally said uncle and called dish, told them the wife was demanding I cancel Dish service if it wasn't fixed, she was serious. They sent a GREAT tech who actually climbed into the attic to run a coax from the entry point to the house to the master bedroom. They then swapped out a Joey 3 for the WJ and it has been great ever since. Still have WJ's in the stepson's room and the spare bedroom but they are closer to the AP and I don't hear any complaints about those.

• Wow
Reactions: TheKrell
Resurrecting this issue, I've discovered that the problem doesn't seem to be with the wireless Joey. What's happening is that for some reason the HWS no longer detects the AP and no amount of rebooting disconnecting/reconnecting both AP and HWS resolves this.

Yet, also for some reason the AP will return all on its own usually the next day then everything is fine. When working properly the signal strength to the wireless joes is around 70.

Any ideas as to why the HWS would not detect the AP? Would the issue be with the HWS or the AP? It is the older AP.

Resurrecting this issue, I've discovered that the problem doesn't seem to be with the wireless Joey. What's happening is that for some reason the HWS no longer detects the AP and no amount of rebooting disconnecting/reconnecting both AP and HWS resolves this.

Yet, also for some reason the AP will return all on its own usually the next day then everything is fine. When working properly the signal strength to the wireless joes is around 70.

Any ideas as to why the HWS would not detect the AP? Would the issue be with the HWS or the AP? It is the older AP.
This has been an issue with mostly Hopper 3's and the AP's. I've fixed it by swapping out the WAP with good success

I hate them both, TBH, BUT the Original does seem to connect easier than the WAP 2 and have a better signal strength in comparisons
Thanks again Kat. You know, playing around with this it seems the wireless Joey and the AP see each other, it's the AP and HWS that don't see each other even though it's a wired connection. I hope the problem isn't in the HWS. Is that possible?

Thanks again Kat. You know, playing around with this it seems the wireless Joey and the AP see each other, it's the AP and HWS that don't see each other even though it's a wired connection. I hope the problem isn't in the HWS. Is that possible?
It is possible, for sure. I would try the WAP and see what happens, or if you feel bold, do a complete reset on the WAP. There's a reset button on the back. I'm not sure how long you hold it in, heck try 60 seconds just to be safe, let it re-download the software, and try going through the connection process again.

My recent issue is that even though WAP shows red connection light, WJ says they are not connected. I have to go to guide and select a station to get back to business.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)