wireless joey........not many threads

I have two "unofficial" Wireless Joeys hooked up with the wireless adapter. One to a Zyxel/CenturyLink wireless DSL modem/router and one to an Apple AirPort Extreme. I get 90% on both. They DO NOT make either router hotter. That is ridiculous. Data is data, the router doesn't care what kind or the amount if it works it works. The answer as to why this is "unofficial" and unsupported is simple. Dish doesn't want to have to troubleshoot umpteen different home LAN configurations with umpteen different brands and types of routers, wireless access points, etc... I can't believe that they even told a story like that as their rationale for no official support.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Marshall Henry
We'll this sucks. Called to order Joey. CSR tells me $50.00 for wap $7.00 monthly for Joey. Puts me on hold phone is disconnected. Call back another csr says the Joey will cost me $99.00. I cancelled the order.

I should have known better than to call dish. Contacted Zach with DIRT. He says" You would not need to purchase the Joey. It appears they accidentally hit purchased instead of leased. You would just need to pay for the WAP." My blood pressure is back to normal now.

We'll this sucks. Called to order Joey. CSR tells me $50.00 for wap $7.00 monthly for Joey. Puts me on hold phone is disconnected. Call back another csr says the Joey will cost me $99.00. I cancelled the order.

The WAP must be purchased and is $50. If you want to purchase the Wireless Joey then it will cost you $99. You can save some money by leasing it but that requires doing a Dish'N It Up promotion and renewing a 24 month commitment.

I never said that I wanted to purchase one. Nor did they ask. I assumed that they knew I wanted to lease. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed. Anyway Zach hooked me up.

I never said that I wanted to purchase one. Nor did they ask. I assumed that they knew I wanted to lease. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed. Anyway Zach hooked me up.

I guessing they assumed you wanted to purchase because you told them you wanted to self install. Looks like DIRT saves the day again.

Interesting, did Zach tell you it was available for self-install? I've contacted several reps lately & been told it has to be installed by a tech at this time. Did something just change?

We never got to the installation part. The first call was disconnected. And when I was told by the 2nd csr that I would have to pay for the Joey the conversation ended.

If you got the tech visit waived then you got a good deal. Then all you're doing is just renewing a 24 month commitment. When you do have to pay the $95 tech visit fee it's almost worth it to just purchase the equipment because you're spending about the same amount of money. I see a Wireless Joey on ebay for $90 right now and you have to purchase the WAP regardless, so it's a wash.

Update: I just looked on Dish Depot and you can buy the WAP and Wireless Joey for $169. To me this is worth avoiding a 24 month commitment. This is the better alternative to paying the $95 tech visit fee.

I'm fine with the 24 month commitment . Been a customer since Sept. 96. We'll almost... I switched to DTV for 8 months during the Fox dispute.

I'm wanting to get one so I can watch Football on my back patio while firing up the pit and having some adult beverages. If a tech visit is not needed, are they fairly simple to install?

I got one for the same reason. Easy install. Just beware the activation number in the manual is not correct. I just called the dish number from the website to activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk