Wireless Joey - Purchasing Outright?

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
If I purchase a Wireless Joey and Wireless Access Point outright from Ebay, does anyone know if I would still have to pay the $7/month fee?

Thanks!
Jay

Ok thanks. I see on ebay they have Wireless Joeys for $70 & WAPs for $60. So $130 vs $50 for the WAP direct from Dish. I have no idea why anyone would purchase them outright if it is less then half the cost from Dish. Weird.

Ok thanks. I see on ebay they have Wireless Joeys for $70 & WAPs for $60. So $130 vs $50 for the WAP direct from Dish. I have no idea why anyone would purchase them outright if it is less then half the cost from Dish. Weird.
Because they don't like 24 month commitments...

Reactions: bobvick
really weird - glad you did my homework for me as I am interested in changing to wireless Joeys myself for my install tomorrow

really weird - glad you did my homework for me as I am interested in changing to wireless Joeys myself for my install tomorrow
In my bedroom if I watch something it's usually just use my Roku to watch Netflix/Amazon, etc. It would be cool to be able to watch actual TV in the bedroom and not having to run wires there would be a big plus.

In my bedroom if I watch something it's usually just use my Roku to watch Netflix/Amazon, etc. It would be cool to be able to watch actual TV in the bedroom and not having to run wires there would be a big plus.
yeah, same here - i don 't do crawlspaces!

Because they don't like 24 month commitments...
I forgot about that - that is probably the only reason I can think of to buy them outright but how many people go to all the trouble of buying and installing new equipment and then won't be around for another 2 years? And the monthly fees are still the same one way or another.

I forgot about that - that is probably the only reason I can think of to buy them outright but how many people go to all the trouble of buying and installing new equipment and then won't be around for another 2 years? And the monthly fees are still the same one way or another.
I'd say the most common reason would be because they have a location that isn't used very often, like a guest room that is only used 3 months out of the year. Owned equipment would be able to be disabled and enabled at will without having to disconnect it and send it back when not in use.

I'd say the most common reason would be because they have a location that isn't used very often, like a guest room that is only used 3 out of the year. Owned equipment would be able to be disabled and enabled at will without having to disconnect it and send it back when not in use.
I guess that's true too but what a pain! Also I wonder if Dish would actually let you constantly turn-on-and-off a piece of equipment?

I guess that's true too but what a pain! Also I wonder if Dish would actually let you constantly turn-on-and-off a piece of equipment?

If it's leased you are not allowed to deactivate it and activate it as you please. As soon as you ask to have it deactivate it Dish will send you an empty box to have it shipped back to them.

If you own the equipment you can do whatever you want. You can activate just for the weekend if you want to. I have a purchased 211 receiver that I activate for football season and deactivate for the rest of the year.

If you own the equipment you can do whatever you want. You can activate just for the weekend if you want to. I have a purchased 211 receiver that I activate for football season and deactivate for the rest of the year.
that's good to know - I keep forgetting that it never hurts to ask :confused:.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)