Wireless joey with orbi mesh router

KaptainRandom

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
mesa az
My brother is one of those dish subscribers with wireless joey issues.
There is no rg6 at the WJ location.
An idea occurred to me and I would like to present for input from some of the more knowledgable here.
I have minimal experience with WJ, WAP, HIC.

The H3, WJ, and orbi mesh router(1xMain,1xsat).
The H3 and hic/wap are in room A connected to orbi via wifi.
The orbi-main router is in room B.
The WJ and orbi-sat are in room C.

If he connects the WJ to orbi-sat with lan cable will the H3 see the WJ?
Again, the H3 is wifi (not lan) to the orbi-main.

Might this yeild a more reliable connection between the H3 and WJ?

Thanx guys...

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I don’t think it would do anything for the Wireless Joey, as the WJ and WAP create their own network. Now a Joey 3 connected to the Orbi May do the trick, if they are on the same network. That was an unsupported work around when the Hopper and Joeys first came out. They would use the WiFi adapter on the Joey to establish its “MOCA” network.

The H3, WJ, and orbi mesh router(1xMain,1xsat).
The H3 and hic/wap are in room A connected to orbi via wifi.
The orbi-main router is in room B.
The WJ and orbi-sat are in room C.

If he connects the WJ to orbi-sat with lan cable will the H3 see the WJ?
Again, the H3 is wifi (not lan) to the orbi-main.

Might this yeild a more reliable connection between the H3 and WJ?

I admire your innovative thinking. But you are giving me a headache!

If your brother wires the WJ to his Orbi satellite, then there is no need for the WJ's WAP. And as Chad said, a J3 would be better. I have a J3 hardwired to my routers and switches, and it works like a champ without MoCA. But my H3 is also hardwired to my routers (and switches).

I am also wondering what good the HIC is doing. If the H3 has a good wireless connection to his Orbi, then it's not doing anything unless there are more Joeys you didn't mention.

Thanx TheKrell,

He tells me today,
The WJ seems to only have issues when he installs or moves any wireless type equipment.
Once the RF systems/networks 'settles',
The WJ also becomes stable.

I passed this info along to him as a next-try, maybe work around.
Over the course of 18 months, multiple tech visits replacing/adjusting various/each/all components of system.

I am visiting him this weekend,
Yesterday,
Added a Firestick 4k an outside projector,
Moved a BT speaker from WJ to Firestick 4k.
WJ was not happy.
Today WJ seems ok (settled).
I admire your innovative thinking. But you are giving me a headache!

If your brother wires the WJ to his Orbi satellite, then there is no need for the WJ's WAP. And as Chad said, a J3 would be better. I have a J3 hardwired to my routers and switches, and it works like a champ without MoCA. But my H3 is also hardwired to my routers (and switches).

I am also wondering what good the HIC is doing. If the H3 has a good wireless connection to his Orbi, then it's not doing anything unless there are more Joeys you didn't mention.

UPDATE

Today for no particular reason
I decided to test this.

Hopper-3, Joey-2, Orbi mesh router
I do not have a HIC or WAP

My regular setup.
H3 connected rg6 to 'hub'
H3 connected cat5 to orbi mesh primary
J2 connected to MoCA via rg6

Testing setup
J2 disconnect MoCA rg6
J2 connect cat5 to orbi mesh satellite
Reset H3
Reset J2
This setup works.

2nd testing setup
H3 disconnect cat5 to orbi mesh primary
H3 connect WIFI to orbi mesh primary
J2 connected cat5 to orbi mesh satellite
Reset H3
Reset J2
This setup works.

Various pics follow
A) H3 connected cat5 to orbi main
B) J2 connected cat5 to orbi sat, no MoCA (rg6)
C) 2nd trial, H3 WIFI to orbi main, no cat5
20200727_115908.jpeg
20200727_120042.jpeg
20200727_121125.jpeg

That’s a lot of extra work. A WiFi adapter on the Joey will do the same for you. It’s just not reliable enough for Dish to support. I know people that have had that setup(Hopper connected to internet through various means and Joey connected with WiFi adapter). It’s still working for them. As long as the two are on the same network. That’s the catch. Try it with a WiFi Joey and see if it still works.

I dont have a wireless joey to try...

My brother has a WJ and has had a history of sporadic connectivity issue, similar to many people posting on these forums.
He is not overly tech savvy..
But can reason things out as needed...
He is 150ish miles away from me

I believe the WJ has a lan port and will work these scenarios, allowing him to not need the HIC and or WAP. and get him a mire stable system.
That’s a lot of extra work. A WiFi adapter on the Joey will do the same for you. It’s just not reliable enough for Dish to support. I know people that have had that setup(Hopper connected to internet through various means and Joey connected with WiFi adapter). It’s still working for them. As long as the two are on the same network. That’s the catch. Try it with a WiFi Joey and see if it still works.

As long as the WJ has a wired Ethernet connection it should work, just like you have been able to do with your regular system at home. Orbi (and most) mesh systems use a separate channel (and possibly even frequency) for the ‘signal’ side of the WiFi to minimize overhead, and allow the WiFi to be a link to end user devices.

I have used an Airport Express to connect my 4K Joey just for kicks and it works fine to join to my H2 which is connected via WiFi. I normally use the MoCo coax in the room where the Joey is, but it is nice to be able to locate the Joey where I don’t have coax in the future.

Reactions: TheKrell