Wireless Joey

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
I am considering replacing a Joey with a wireless Joey. I have the current one set up as an unofficial wireless, but we get freeze ups and dropouts.

A few questions: what are the costs of doing so: monthly and initial? Does it require professional installation, or will they send me the stuff and let me do it? How many wireless joeys can I have?

The cost is the same per month. If you want use the upgrade promotion there may be a fee and you'll have to renew a contract with Dish. An upgrade also requires professional installation.

If you want to install yourself you'll have to purchase the wireless Joey. You'll have to purchase the wireless access point for $50 regardless.

You can have up to three wireless joeys for one access point.

It should be noted... If you purchase the WJ for self install, it would have to be done from a 3rd party. Going through Dish directly, will require a professional installation also. Otherwise, I agree with Schermann on everything.

I would try upgrading your current wireless configuration before going with a wireless joey. Perhaps get a mower powerful antenna at the Joey and/or router/access point and use wireless n/ac

Reactions: brad1138
I would try upgrading your current wireless configuration before going with a wireless joey. Perhaps get a mower powerful antenna at the Joey and/or router/access point and use wireless n/ac
How would I go about that? I have this router, and the wireless dongle from Dish attached to the Joey. My wireless router is downstairs, and the joey that would be wireless is upstairs.

The most annoying thing about the WJ is it's size, for some strange reason they decided to make the case bigger and it won't tuck as nicely behind a flat panel on a wall. I have seen the joey work wirelessly for years with just the usb wifi adapter, the only thing that failed was the adapter. Also the range isn't great on the WJ, I have seen it have trouble with distances as little as 20-30 feet. It all depends on what is in between. The wireless access point is designed to go right next to your hopper, if that is close you'll be fine, but if it is far, you can have trouble. I agree with Stargazer, if you can relocate you router closer to the joey, that might solve your problem.

prior to installing my wireless joey...........I was concerned about the range as well
To this point, (knock on wood)..........I have not had any problems, but I am only about 25' in distance

I am considering replacing a Joey with a wireless Joey. I have the current one set up as an unofficial wireless, but we get freeze ups and dropouts.

A few questions: what are the costs of doing so: monthly and initial? Does it require professional installation, or will they send me the stuff and let me do it? How many wireless joeys can I have?

I recently got a wireless Joey for our daughter. Dish wanted to renew our contract so I bought one off Ebay for $50 and set it up myself. It's $7 a month extra. One interesting thing, the wireless Joey works much faster and normally than a regular Joey with a wireless dongle. I took the dongle off ours and connected the cable back to it. It got rid of the slowness we've all been experiencing lately.

FWIW, the Hopper sits about 60 feet from the Joey. It's near the floor on one of those HDTV "tables" and the Joey sits on the floor behind our daughter's TV. I never had any connection issues ever, but I'm running an Asus RT-AC66U router for whatever difference that makes? Dual-band, dual-radio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts