Wireless LAN Solution For VIP 622

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
i tried searching for an answer in the existing threads but i got a sea of threads and posts dealing with similar topics that don't quite answer the question. So i thought I would ask directly.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good way to connect a VIP 622 to a Wireless LAN?

I don't know RandallA. Someone will have to try it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they only supported an internet connection via the ethernet port. That may or may not be written into the software.

I don't know RandallA. Someone will have to try it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they only supported an internet connection via the ethernet port. That may or may not be written into the software.

You're right. The USB adapters work because of the drivers interface with the Operating System. I don't think E* would add support for Wireless USB in their receivers.

Last edited:
You should try DD-WRT for your linksys wrt54g.

by using 2 linksys wrt54gs, you can have wireless bridge mode enabled. Make sure to flash it's eeprom with DD-WRT firmware, so this might void your original warranty. Have fun. :)

I plan on using a Linksys WGA54G gaming adapter that I bought a while back. I am scheduled to have Dish installed on Aug 18th and will report back on how that worked.

FYI, I have 2 unopened Linksys WGA54G gaming adapters I'd be willing to sell, send PM for more info.

A USB wireless NIC will NOT work.
If ever it will be a DISH branded with a fool proof on screen setup for security settings that even a CSR could help with.
There is NO way that DISH would code in driver support for every usb wireless NIC that a sub could plug in to their receiver. Sorry.

Ok, I am confused. Do I need a Wireless Game Adapter or a Wireless Bridge; or are they the same thing?

Linksys lists a bridge for $82 and a game adapter for the same price. Not sure what one to buy.

Ok, I am confused. Do I need a Wireless Game Adapter or a Wireless Bridge; or are they the same thing?

Linksys lists a bridge for $82 and a game adapter for the same price. Not sure what one to buy.
They are essentially the same thing. The game adapter can be configured thru the xbox menu. The bridge is exactly what you want as you can hook up a ethernet printer for example to a wireless network.
And to be clear you can probably configure the game adapter thru the pc too.

they are not the same thing. i would guess that any "bridge" that can receive the wireless signal and has an ethernet port would work. I am less certain about gaming adapters. I have heard anecdotally that people have problems using anything other than the listed devices.

So i guess it comes down to whether people will be kind to share their experience in this regard. i ahve been told that other threads have this inof but it was difficult to find them.

They are essentially the same thing. The game adapter can be configured thru the xbox menu. The bridge is exactly what you want as you can hook up a ethernet printer for example to a wireless network.
And to be clear you can probably configure the game adapter thru the pc too.

That's what I thought, but wanted confirmation. Thanks.

with linksys you can usually configure through a web-based admin; I am guessing its the same with their bridge/adapters.

My memory has been jarred. :eureka
I used to have a dlink wireless gaming adapter for the xbox that worked fine for a pc for a stretch. I may have configured it thru the xbox and then later hooked the pc to it, but it worked fine. Like I said before they are essentially the same thing (they take a wireless connection and turn it into a wired connection).
I would definitely go with a wireless bridge for the universal applications. You can use a wireless bridge to hook up a xbox\ps3 to a wireless network too.

The only reason to go with a gaming adapter is if you already have one or you could pick one up from a friend for 10 bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts