Wireless Routers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrat69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Indiana
I know I read somewhere a list of Recommended Wireless Routers, I can't find it, and will be replacing my old one soon anyway so want to buy the right one that works best with Dish.

Certainly not an apple fanboy, but the Airport Extreme is an EXCELLENT router/access point.

The important thing is to get one capable of dual-band "N" protocol. Most modern wi-fi devices, such as laptops, TV's, BD players, smartphones, etc have this capability. You can configure your streaming devices to use the 5GHz band, where there is less interference. OTOH, 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz. (Science giveth, and science taketh away.)

Also, shoot for as high a data rate as you can afford. It's not as important as the first point above. But, 600-900mbps will provide some future-proofing, whereas 300mbps is enough for most people for now.

You can use the reviews at Newegg and Amazon to gauge quality and customer satisfaction.

I just purchased the ASUS RT-N66U http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/ a few weeks back. it's a bit pricey, but was really easy to setup and has great range. So far I am happy with it.

If you like the ASUS with the stock firmware try Merlin's custom firmware which takes care of some bugs in the factory firmware plus adds a few additional features.

It is easy to install as an upgrade of the factory firmware. In addition if you brick an ASUS there is a recovery application that will let you recover the router.

Range on the 2.4 Ghz excellent 5 Ghz OK.

See more details on the custom firmware at small network builders. Populated with lots of fans of the ASUS hardware amd Merlin's firmware.

I might add I have a old 2 story house, a lot of the walls and ceilings are plaster which seems to block some of the signal. So I need one with good range/power.

Plaster walls sometimes have a webbed metal lath, rather than wood slats. That would definitely cause some insulation against radio signals.

You might need to look into a getting a repeater (also called a "range booster") in addition to your new router. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122454

Netgear also makes a decent dual band router that would suit your needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-122-326

The one that I have been using, which works fine in my one story ranch is : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124459&Tpk=e4200

I don't know if any of these companies have any inventory at their HQ locations, other than for testing and employee stores. Some companies don't even give their employees discounts on their products.

Google, for instance, gives free stuff like phones, tablets, chromebooks, etc to their employees every Christmas, and other times. But, there is no discount program in place for Google Play purchases, including Nexus hardware. So, it's full price for a Nexus tablet or phone. They do get 20% on branded merch, though. (T-shirts, mugs, etc.)

Apple employees get a tiny discount on Macs and iStuff, which doesn't even cover the sales tax here in CA.

OTOH, they all get paid really well with excellent benefits. (Although, Yahoo recently enacted a no-work-from-home policy. Those barbarians!!!!)

I don't know if any of these companies have any inventory at their HQ locations, other than for testing and employee stores. Some companies don't even give their employees discounts on their products.

Google, for instance, gives free stuff like phones, tablets, chromebooks, etc to their employees every Christmas, and other times. But, there is no discount program in place for Google Play purchases, including Nexus hardware. So, it's full price for a Nexus tablet or phone. They do get 20% on branded merch, though. (T-shirts, mugs, etc.)

Apple employees get a tiny discount on Macs and iStuff, which doesn't even cover the sales tax here in CA.

OTOH, they all get paid really well with excellent benefits. (Although, Yahoo recently enacted a no-work-from-home policy. Those barbarians!!!!)

lmao! Yahoo better do something,not sure that's the answer but,it couldn't hurt.

We had an actual refurbish plant open in our area not too long ago.They supply Big Lot's and others,not sure if the employees get any discounts or not.Refurbished products are big business these days.I always make sure to check out newegg's refurbs for great deals.

lmao! Yahoo better do something,not sure that's the answer but,it couldn't hurt.

We had an actual refurbish plant open in our area not too long ago.They supply Big Lot's and others,not sure if the employees get any discounts or not.Refurbished products are big business these days.I always make sure to check out newegg's refurbs for great deals.
I used to be a big refurb fan. But, my last couple of refurb purchases turned me off to them. Now that most manufacturers outsource the process, I really dont think most stuff is being inspected, reconfigured, and certified properly anymore. It's just cleaned up and reboxed.

You know ... I would not throw a PowerLine adapter out of the mix. This is where from your router you plug the router into the PowerLine adapter and the adapter sends the signal then through your power lines. With the current set you get 100Mbit plus speeds with throughput faster than any wireless router could give you. Some PowerLine adapters would even give the new draft AC wireless routers a run for their money especially the farther away you get from the wireless router.

You can get 2 100Mbit adapters for $50 or 2 GigaBit adapters for $100. Depending on the wireless router, it could be pushing $200 and your Dish receiver may end up in a dead spot.

Something to consider ...

You know ... I would not throw a PowerLine adapter out of the mix. This is where from your router you plug the router into the PowerLine adapter and the adapter sends the signal then through your power lines. With the current set you get 100Mbit plus speeds with throughput faster than any wireless router could give you. Some PowerLine adapters would even give the new draft AC wireless routers a run for their money especially the farther away you get from the wireless router.

You can get 2 100Mbit adapters for $50 or 2 GigaBit adapters for $100. Depending on the wireless router, it could be pushing $200 and your Dish receiver may end up in a dead spot.

Something to consider ...

That is a good alternative.

Repeater/range extender/access point.

I use my Fios router and an Apple Extreme as an access point. Not happy with Apple prices but it does "just work." I chose it because it worked both bands simultaneously and THAT IS IMPORTANT. At the time there was only one other unit with similar capabilities and it was even more costly.

2 comments:

1. My home has 2 breaker boxes, the main in the basement and a smaller one, fed by a 100A breaker, on the first floor. I have problems with powerline adapters connected to circuits on different boxes.

2. I'm a big fan of dd-wrt firmware. I use it in my Linksys router and it has improved performance markedly over the original Cisco firmware.

I recently switched from DSL (with supplied DSL router/modem) to cable and tested quite a few routers. Thank you return policies. Below is what I found. I choose an ASUS router which has great reviews, but after 2.5 months the 2.4ghz radio began to die. Had to reset it daily then hourly at the end. It was fixed under the 2 year warranty, but had a two week turn around so I bought the Netgear at Costco as a stop gap. Decided to keep the Netgear as I can return it to Costco forever. Been solid for three months straight.

Router choices really depends on your situation. I suggest evaluating cost, reliability, and performance. For me N900 speed is a little excessive, but its reliable and no repeater required. As far as powerline adapter I used that with my 722, but it depends on your house breakers. My one 722 was on the same circuit and worked great, but my other was on the other side and never worked.

My router testing (about 25 feet from router to hopper / 35 feet to couch through bathroom. heater, and another bedroom):
Tried 4 routers over 6 months. Overall the Belkin N750 was the weakest. The Linksys EA3500 and ASUS rt-n56u were a little better (build quality and signal wise). Overall the 5ghz was pretty weak on all these. With 1 bar on the hopper, but worked OK on my laptop in the same room. 2.4 ghz was pretty similar for each. Descent signal, but inconsistent speeds after about 35 feet from router (using phone and speedtest.net). The N900 performance of the Netgear R4500 made a difference. Has great 5 ghz range (2 bars at hopper). 2.4 ghz has 2 to 3 bars on hopper, speed was very consistent. Costco had the Netgear on sale for $120 two days ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)