Wireless USB Sitcks

There seem to be a lot of questions about wireless and Hopper. But I have to ask why people are even doing this and why Dish seems to be encouraging it. This is precisely why the HIC exists, and it's a much better solution.

I had the 3 sticks already, and this means I don't have to run coax across my gameroom floor. With 5Ghz N in the house this works well.

I had the 3 sticks already, and this means I don't have to run coax across my gameroom floor. With 5Ghz N in the house this works well.

LER, so if I have a Joeys with a wireless stick then that Joey dont need to be connected through coax to the Hopper?

so if I have a Joeys with a wireless stick then that Joey dont need to be connected through coax to the Hopper?

USB stick is only for internet access, and should be on the Hopper. It has nothing to do with access/control of the Hopper. Coax is a must.

LER, so if I have a Joeys with a wireless stick then that Joey dont need to be connected through coax to the Hopper?
A USB wireless adapter to the Joey is only needed for DLNA on that specific TV. (even that may be a workaround for a bug with DLNA)

Everything else including the actual video is done through the coax cable.

What Wireless USB sticks work with Hopper? I tried a Belkin F7D1101 v1 last night on a rear USB port. It didn't work.

I recommend avoiding WiFi, for the moment, until they fix the software problem that prevents reconnecting, after the Hopper restarts after its nightly update.

Use a hardwired connection for now (via the Hopper Internet Connector) until Dish fixes this reconnect bug that I, and others, have mentioned:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/281038-wifi-bug.html
and here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-...-bugs-usability-issues-do-19.html#post2820389

The problem occurs when the main Hopper loses WiFi connectivity with my encrypted, password-protected network (I'm using WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]).

LER, if you're not having this problem, are you on an open network, or perhaps a network that allows no-password connectivity based on your USB stick's previously-whitelisted Mac Address?

Could you try the following, and let me know if you still have connectivity at the end?
1) In your main Hopper, go to Menu > Settings > Network Setup > Broadband.
2) Make note of the IP Address.
3) Unplug your router, and wait 60 seconds.
4) Confirm that your Broadband screen shows it as disconnected.
5) Make note of the IP Address (it should be different now).
6) Re-plug in your router, and wait a couple minutes, so your router can re-establish the network (i.e., until all the router's LEDs are green again).
7) Confirm that your Hopper's Broadband screen shows that it's re-established its connection.

WPA/WPA2/PSK/AES.

It's on my 5Ghz network.

I'll try(!) to remember to do the above test when I'm back at the house this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)