Wiring question for HD-DVR + International programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsramirez

Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Hi all,

I'm having some wiring and data cabling done to my house i'm moving into, and in anticipation of the DirecTV installl, I'm considering putting in wiring for the DTV install.

I'm planning on getting HD w/ DVR and some international channels (the little woman has to have her TFC), so I'm wondering what kind of setup will I need for each room that's going to have an HD w/ DVR setup. While that actually may be overkill (may not have DVRs in each room), I figure since they'll be punching holes and the drywall and patching them that I should have each room setup to be "future-proof".

I assume w/ a new install I'd be getting the new 5LNB dish + plus the international dish, yes?

Sorry if it's such a n00b question.

Thanks!
-R

If you have the chance now put at least 3 coax per room. 2 for DVR and 1 for OTA. Think about if you would ever want to view the receiver in another room then consider running additional wires to allow pumping the video. I use CAT5 lines that use balun converters on each end. Let me know if you want to know more about multiroom viewing. Personally I would put in 3 or 5 CAT 5e or 6 lines in every room along with at least 3 RF coax lines.

Hi all,

I'm having some wiring and data cabling done to my house i'm moving into, and in anticipation of the DirecTV installl, I'm considering putting in wiring for the DTV install.

I'm planning on getting HD w/ DVR and some international channels (the little woman has to have her TFC), so I'm wondering what kind of setup will I need for each room that's going to have an HD w/ DVR setup. While that actually may be overkill (may not have DVRs in each room), I figure since they'll be punching holes and the drywall and patching them that I should have each room setup to be "future-proof".

I assume w/ a new install I'd be getting the new 5LNB dish + plus the international dish, yes?

Sorry if it's such a n00b question.

Thanks!
-R

Nothing special for the 2 dishes really, but at least 2 Dual cable runs per outlet in your home.

Don't forget about GMA

If you have the chance now put at least 3 coax per room. 2 for DVR and 1 for OTA.
Nothing special for the 2 dishes really, but at least 2 Dual cable runs per outlet in your home.
So based on the 2 above responses, I'm not sure if just 3 coax are enough (2 for DVR, 1 for OTA) or 4 coax (2 dual cable runs) would be necessary. Can someone clarify?

Again, my plan is HD-DVR (presumably HR20 dual tuner) AND the international dish (TFC/GMA).

Think about if you would ever want to view the receiver in another room then consider running additional wires to allow pumping the video. I use CAT5 lines that use balun converters on each end.
I am planning on running CAT5. If they go to a central hub/panel, can they still be used for video distribution w/o the need or purchasing some special video hub? Can I just use a coupler?

Lets put it this way. More is better. Copper is relatively cheap so if you are planning from scractch, put more. You need at least 3 coax lines if you want a dual tuner DVR with over the air antenna. If you are going to get service from an additional provider, then add that to the mix. So put 6 coax to the primary watching rooms. 3 for Directv and 3 for your international.

As for CAT5, its the same basic setup as networking your house. No additional equipment except the balun converters. So have the 3 or 4 CAT5 lines come to your hub clearly marked. By having all come to the hub, you can then join one room to another to send video through it. Leave one for networking of course. The HR20 can be networking and allow music and picture viewing from a PC or server. Video on Demand is coming (hopefully).

Thanks for all the detail. This will really help when I meet w/ the electrician this Friday for an estimate.

Regards
-r

You should have all the cables go to a central point (basement or attic, etc.). With the international dish (or if you have more than 4 tuners) Directv will supply a multiswitch. Cables go from the dishes to the multiswitch and from there to each room.

Personaly i would do a total of 4 RG6 CATV runs. Enshure what the use is swept tested to AT LEAST 2200 if not 3 Ghz, 2200 is the min requirement for satellite and 3 will give u room if whatever provider u may change to starts using higher. 2 of those feeds will be for the dvr, one for OTA (over the air) and one if you ever get a cable modem (hey, ya never know) I would then do 4 CAT 5e if not CAT 6 (since that is the new standard, might as well put it in now) Make 2 of those feeds be a telephone line (you can convert them back to a network outlet very easy) for your reciever and if you ever get DSL. and the outher 2, one for the HR20, as it has features for showing pics and muisic and such on the hr20 from ur pc, and for broadband VOD, and the outher one if u ever put a xbox or playstation (if/when u have kids) which would provide better speeds than going wireless.

The important part here is to make shure they are using the best you can afford. Also ask about getting a structured wiring pannel for all these cable runs. Leviton and Pass & Seymore/Legrand/Greyfox Home Systems (all the same company, just called diff things untill they get all their products under the same brand, they just reciently merged with one another) I've used both brands and would sugest the Legrand over Leviton. You'll find *some* parts for Leviton at Home Depot, and *some* parts for Legrand at Lowes. The best place to get parts for them are at Smarthome (Smarthome - Home Automation, X10, Remote Control, Lighting, Wireless Security).

Hope this helps!

Another thing to consider if you run all of your cables to a media panel in the basement or attic. From the panel, you need to run 6 cables to the outside of the house where the dish is going to be mounted (4 for the normal sat, one for the international, and one spare)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts