Wish List of DVR Features - Next SW Upgrade

ditto for watching sports delayed-- even when you select Start Over -there's a wee bit of time where it shows live ! i've learned to mute and squint :rolleyes:

I would really love for the VIP series DVR's to be able to stream recordings via LAN from one box to another.

ie. Use the VIP DVR(connected to my home LAN) in my bedroom to play a recorded show from the VIP DVR(connected to my home LAN) in my living room.

Possible, but will probably be a long time in coming.

*edit* or looking at this another way, viewing another VIP DVR's recordings similar to EHD, but via the network instead of a USB cable.

My biggest complaint is that a timer is skipped due to priority and no warning is given. It would be nice to have a warning displayed on the list of upcoming events (regardless of whether the list is showing skipped events or not) so that you can make changes if needed.

Currently the only way to know if a pending timer event is going to be skipped due to priority is to show skipped items and scan the entire list. This is time consuming.

How about the ability to "clip" shows. I sometimes record an hour+ of HD for a 10 minute segment. It would be nice to say "delete everything before/after this point"
I vote for that one (and have suggested it before). My wife used to extend the end-time of "Cold Case" because it would frequently start late due to football, so we might have a 3-hour recording, of which 1-hour is "Cold Case". It would be nice to be able to FF to the start and say "Delete everything already played" and do similarly with the end.

I can do that too on my 622, but what I'm talking about is a "Start Late" setting along with the start early and end late boxes. An example would be when the show I am recording runs 1hr and 5mn long. There is no I know that you could start the next show recording at 5 minutes after the hour.

Ahh, yeah. Now I see what you mean. But, hey! That reminds me of one I forgot to include at first:

4. The ability to line up several playbacks in a row - Say that I have a 5 year old that wants to watch Dora and Blue's Clues, and I'm going to be outside cutting the grass for an hour or more. I have an episode of each recorded, but currently I can only set one at a time to play back. Then I have to drop what I'm doing and come back inside, grass clippings and all, and set up the next one to play. Bummer. I'd like to tell the DVR "play this, and then play that, and then play this other one." I could set up a string of several in a row to play. That would be nice. :)

Along the lines of starting late, I would like an "Allow to start late" option for shows that I really don't care if I miss the beginning of. For example, a sports game, newscast, debate, etc. If there's a priority conflict that would cause one of those programs not to be recorded at all just because there's a slight overlap, it'd be nice to say, just start recording it whenever you can so I can at least see most of it.

I know that this line of thought is bordering on trying to make the DVR much more intelligent, and that could get complicated quickly. But the "Allow to start late" option seems pretty basic.

This can be fixed. If you connect the FreeAgent drive to a PC with the Seagate software, and you can turn off the timeout. Worked fine for me, but if I remember correctly, this requires a reformat of the drive. My EHD is a 750GB FreeAgent, and once I did this, I have never had timeout issues.

That doesn't fix it, it just keeps the drive from shutting down.

I would really love for the VIP series DVR's to be able to stream recordings via LAN from one box to another.

ie. Use the VIP DVR(connected to my home LAN) in my bedroom to play a recorded show from the VIP DVR(connected to my home LAN) in my living room.

Possible, but will probably be a long time in coming.

*edit* or looking at this another way, viewing another VIP DVR's recordings similar to EHD, but via the network instead of a USB cable.

Agree 100% with this one. I had this capablity 4 or 5 years ago with ReplayTV (which DirectTV owns now, Dish should have picked em up). I have 2 722's and 1 622 and all are on my network to dial out. I would LOVE to have this feature!!!! On top of that, I would love to have another old ReplayTV feature: If you are currently recording 2 shows on your bedroom box then you select a 3rd show in that same time slot, have a message come up to record it on another box. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you're talking about what I think you're talking about then this can be done right now on the 722 and 622 at least. The default setting is to start one minute early and end three minutes late. But you can bump both of them in either direction. I have lots of shows recorded that are 1 hr and 4 minutes long.

I found this feature to be pretty smart. I have only had the box for a week but I have done some tests and it seems that you won't get the extra time if it would cause another recording to be canceled. Like if you had 2 recordings at 8pm and 1 coming on at 9pm. It won't record the extra 3 minutes of one of the 2 recordings because it would concel the 9 pm recording (the 2 tuners already recording 3 minutes in the 9pm slot). At least thats how it seemed to work. I haven't gotten any conflicts.

Agree 100% with this one. I had this capablity 4 or 5 years ago with ReplayTV (which DirectTV owns now, Dish should have picked em up). I have 2 722's and 1 622 and all are on my network to dial out. I would LOVE to have this feature!!!! On top of that, I would love to have another old ReplayTV feature: If you are currently recording 2 shows on your bedroom box then you select a 3rd show in that same time slot, have a message come up to record it on another box. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mediashare like the Directv boxes have... I can access my Replay mpegs(from HD Sources) on my pc's with my Directv dvr...

ditto for watching sports delayed-- even when you select Start Over -there's a wee bit of time where it shows live ! i've learned to mute and squint :rolleyes:

LOL..so its not just me! Yep, I've gotten to where I don't even notice I'm doing that. Something is definitely wrong with how this currently works.

Its bringing a tear to my eye how many ReplayTV users are on here. I gaze longingly at my 5040 with the ethernet & power cables wrapped around it. Poor thing is no longer the jewel of my entertainment center..if only they had added qam/atsc & HD....

On a feature-related thought: how about customizing how long 'live' tv can be paused?

I was watching a show the other day (live) and it got to a very exciting part..then work called in and I had to go to the other room..spent an hour on the phone and then I heard the tv start to play..I couldn't hang up..and I couldn't go to the other room and STOP the tv. When I did..I found it paused for 1 second, then started up again..enoxorably moving forward. I ended up having to miss the rest of the show because I was helpless to stop it from playing/erasing since I guess the buffer has a one-hour limit.

My drive is definitely not full..I have 31 hours left of HD programming to fill up..so this has to be a software setting.

Its bringing a tear to my eye how many ReplayTV users are on here. I gaze longingly at my 5040 with the ethernet & power cables wrapped around it. Poor thing is no longer the jewel of my entertainment center..if only they had added qam/atsc & HD....

On a feature-related thought: how about customizing how long 'live' tv can be paused?

I was watching a show the other day (live) and it got to a very exciting part..then work called in and I had to go to the other room..spent an hour on the phone and then I heard the tv start to play..I couldn't hang up..and I couldn't go to the other room and STOP the tv. When I did..I found it paused for 1 second, then started up again..enoxorably moving forward. I ended up having to miss the rest of the show because I was helpless to stop it from playing/erasing since I guess the buffer has a one-hour limit.

My drive is definitely not full..I have 31 hours left of HD programming to fill up..so this has to be a software setting.
Next time it might be a good idea to record the remainder of the show...

Next time it might be a good idea to record the remainder of the show...

Lesson learned!

Although when I went to answer the phone I had no idea it was going to turn into a tech support nightmare. I didn't realize it was work calling...