WNVC 56 and 57 In VA Off The Air

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
If you have not already noticed I will note that WNVC in Northern Virginia has ceased analog and digital broadcasting at channels 56 and 57 respectively while upgrades are made to the transmitter. WNVC is expected to return in Feb 2009.

Some of the programming is available on Ch 30 WNVT. Note that this is a digital station only. WNVT stopped analog broadcasts at Ch 53 some time ago.

http://www.mhznetworks.org/index.php?option=com_news&id=65

Two additional notes. First, when WNVC does return in February it is currently expected to broadcast on Ch 24. Second WNVC is still available by satellite and cable although the digital subchannels may not be available on all systems.

Last edited:
They're going off the air for 5 months to do an upgrade? I have never heard of a TV station doing that and I've been watching TV since 1948. Seems like poor planning.

Actually there is still discussion about whether WUTB will use 24. But the shutdown at this channel is not wholly dependent on that.

Actually there is still discussion about whether WUTB will use 24. But the shutdown at this channel is not wholly dependent on that.
Thanks; I thought 24 was the deciding factor. I guess they are eager to do the necessary antenna work while the weather is still warm.

It is encouraging to start seeing the strong analogs go dark. I am already noticing an improvement on a few digital channels.(Most of the improvement is on distant analogs though)

Geronimo,

Won't WNVC have to wait until they know exactly what channel they will be assigned before purchasing a new antenna? I thought that the broadcast antenna has to be designed for the "exact" channel that will be used.

Will WUSA-9, & WJLA-7 be able to use their existing analog antenna for digital since the frequency will be the same after the transition?

Good questions. And the same transmitters with the analog power levels?

Geronimo,

Won't WNVC have to wait until they know exactly what channel they will be assigned before purchasing a new antenna? I thought that the broadcast antenna has to be designed for the "exact" channel that will be used.

Will WUSA-9, & WJLA-7 be able to use their existing analog antenna for digital since the frequency will be the same after the transition?

According to the info at the FCC they will both use the existing antennas. The transmitters are only mentioned as, as needed to obtain required E.R.P.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)