WRC In DC Adds Digital Subchannel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I am not sure this belongs here since the idea of dropping the HD in the title was rejected but I see no other forum for this info and not everyone watches HD OTA. If there is another forum feel free to move it.

WRC In DC has added a digital subchannel 4.3. It is 4.3 Universal Sports. I understand that they had audio synch problems at first but they assure me they are corrected.

So if you live in the area and are interested do a rescan or manually add it. The actual frequency for the WRC digital signal is 48.

Enjoy the channel I just hope it does not adversely affect the main HD channel.

Universal Sports

Whats with the Yuck? Now if they would only get rid of 4-2 (the weather subchannel) everything would be ok.

The PQ on 4-1 was never great to start with, so I doubt that you will notice much difference. Just switch on over to 11-1 if you're worried about it. :) I did last night for the game, and it looked ok. (Still painful to watch such a poor Redskins performance.)

Either way, this seems like a good use of a subchannel. Ranks right up there with TheTube (now extinct) and RTN. I'm sure they will add more content eventually. Heck, they don't even have a broadcast schedule up yet.

-John

BTW, still no audio on this channel for me. UPDATE: Works fine after an auto scan, strange I had to do that with my CECB boxes.

Last edited:
nbc is apparently adding this for the new season. Channel 5 in Dallas has also added this as CH 5.3. Now if NBC had some sports worth watching

It's my understanding that about a third of us follow sports closely, a third casually, and the top third (;)) could not care less and would prefer to not have a sports (or any) subchannel detracting from the main HD channel's PQ. ;) ;)

Ah, I C. :) I was watching some German bike race live today. Kinda nice, but you could tell nothing else was on. heh. Just being OTA only, I like having more choices. I suspect they will have some good content on this channel eventually (and live as well).

The PQ on 4-1 was never great to start with, so I doubt that you will notice much difference. Just switch on over to 11-1 if you're worried about it. :) I did last night for the game, and it looked ok. (Still painful to watch such a poor Redskins performance.)
Did you notice any difference between WRC, & WBAL? On my SD set they both looked the same. Both seemed to suffer from the same amount of mosquito noise. I can see a noticable difference between WMAR & WJLA on network feeds.(WMAR looks much better!!)

I have both 51" and 52" 1080i CRT rear projector HDTVs so I can't tell any difference between WRC and WBAL. Heck, I can't really tell any difference between WMAR and WJLA either, tho. I'll have to check again since both WJLA and WRC have changed their subchannels recently. (I think WJLA is giving more bandwith to 7-3 RTN then they used to, as I watch that a lot and have noticed a lot less black crush on Night Gallery recently.)

I have both 51" and 52" 1080i CRT rear projector HDTVs so I can't tell any difference between WRC and WBAL. Heck, I can't really tell any difference between WMAR and WJLA either, tho. I'll have to check again since both WJLA and WRC have changed their subchannels recently. (I think WJLA is giving more bandwith to 7-3 RTN then they used to, as I watch that a lot and have noticed a lot less black crush on Night Gallery recently.)
The picture on WJLA is softer; lacking the detail and color saturation of WMAR. The CBS, Fox, CW, and MY TV affiliates of DC/Balt are very close in PQ. WUSA seems to have just a smidge more color saturation than WJZ though. What is most surprising is how good CBS & Fox look on WBOC-Salisbury. I'm surprised how good they look since there are 2 HD feeds coming off of a single channel. (Virtual channels 16.1 & 21.2 are both on UHF 21)

WRC-1 DC (4.1) video gone missing

Hi Geronimo,
this isn't exactly related to your original post...but thought i'd try since you sound knowledgeable.

I have a Philips HDTV (model 42PFL5332D/37) with a built-in tuner that i've been using with rabbit ears to pick up OTA network channels...for a year now no problem. Then, this past thursday 9/4, an hour before the Giants/Redskins game the video on channel 4.1 (WRC-1 DC area) disappeared!
Since then, i've had no video reception for this channel...only audio. All other channels and stations are working fine.

At 1st I thought it was the NBC station having technical issues...but i bought another LCD to test out the station and i was able to pick up 4.1 channel. I used the same rabbit ears that i had been using with the Philips tv.

I've reset my tv and reprogrammed it a dozen times already and still same issue...NBC 4.1 just won't show video!

do you know any fixes or suggestions?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)