WOIO Cleveland Picture Horrible!

molo316

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
I need a little help here. Anyone with this channel let me know if it looks horrible to you. It is almost unwatchable. I wrote an email and got no response(WOIO). I do not believe this is a dish network problem, but woio problem.
The channel looks out of focus in the backround. The sports looks real bad. Little blocks in the backround. Let me know what I should do!

Our CW and MyTV channels in the Greensboro market (not provided in HD like they are on Cable) look bad too. I don't even watch them anymore. Their sports looks especially bad...about like ESPN-U. But that's another day.

Please call!!

I called dish, the csr wrote a report. So everyone that has WOIO please call and tell them the picture is horrible!! Thanks!

I've noticed this too - also on WJW, the Fox affiliate allegedly covering Cleveland.

I've been wondering if Dish is getting WOIO via an off-air reception of some sort... while I didn't think it was common, it does exist and the blocking and glitching I've seen are VERY DTV-like glitching.

Anyway, this only matters because WOIO and WJW are almost impossible to receive anywhere over a couple of miles from the Parma antenna farm. WOIO has been awful for years for reasons involving a Canadian station that aren't the point here, and won't get better until Raycom decides to spend some $, which is going to be roughly never... WJW moved their signal to Ch. 8 on the DTV transition - this is VHF, yes, but their power just isn't working. There are some small small rumors they'd like to move back to UHF, but we'll see what happens with that. The power bill savings of VHF are said to be pretty addictive to corporate parents, so you know how that goes...

Anyway, I would suspect (unless I'm totally wrong here) that Dish's setup is having issues and possibly also needs to be relocated. I'm guessing a direct feed from the broadcasters isn't involved because of the glitching I've seen on *both* WJW and WOIO, and *never* on WEWS or WKYC or either of the PBS stations, all of which get excellent reception throughout and permeating the Northeast Ohio area. Those signals will compensate for some equipment or line going wonky, for example - but WOIO and WJW would definitely be the most sensitive to stuff like that, even if the pickup point IS within a couple of miles of the towers. There just isn't enough power (non-nulled, anyway) behind those two to have a footprint actually including Cleveland, much less suburbs other than near Parma...

I noticed watching Dollhouse on Fox 8 last night that it jumped from OAR to "shoe box" format with bars on the top and bottom. Then it went back. When it happened it seemed as though there was a glitch in the matrix. I am close to parma so I get the OTA fine for fox 8, but with WOIO there was always a struggle to get it to do anything.

I watch Letterman every night on Cleveland 19 WOIO and the picture is crystal clear.

where you on hd? my hd tv, channel 19 is grainy, and is not focused. TWC at my parents house woio looks great. I asked the csr how long, she said 7-10 days, depending on calls! Please call dish!!

I've noticed this too - also on WJW, the Fox affiliate allegedly covering Cleveland.

I've been wondering if Dish is getting WOIO via an off-air reception of some sort... while I didn't think it was common, it does exist and the blocking and glitching I've seen are VERY DTV-like glitching.

Anyway, this only matters because WOIO and WJW are almost impossible to receive anywhere over a couple of miles from the Parma antenna farm. WOIO has been awful for years for reasons involving a Canadian station that aren't the point here, and won't get better until Raycom decides to spend some $, which is going to be roughly never... WJW moved their signal to Ch. 8 on the DTV transition - this is VHF, yes, but their power just isn't working. There are some small small rumors they'd like to move back to UHF, but we'll see what happens with that. The power bill savings of VHF are said to be pretty addictive to corporate parents, so you know how that goes...

Anyway, I would suspect (unless I'm totally wrong here) that Dish's setup is having issues and possibly also needs to be relocated. I'm guessing a direct feed from the broadcasters isn't involved because of the glitching I've seen on *both* WJW and WOIO, and *never* on WEWS or WKYC or either of the PBS stations, all of which get excellent reception throughout and permeating the Northeast Ohio area. Those signals will compensate for some equipment or line going wonky, for example - but WOIO and WJW would definitely be the most sensitive to stuff like that, even if the pickup point IS within a couple of miles of the towers. There just isn't enough power (non-nulled, anyway) behind those two to have a footprint actually including Cleveland, much less suburbs other than near Parma...

The thing i don't understand is I can get wjw with my roof mount uhf antenna, but never get woio. I never really watch wjw, but I'll check it out

The thing i don't understand is I can get wjw with my roof mount uhf antenna, but never get woio. I never really watch wjw, but I'll check it out

Yeah - WJW was disappointing at the switchover because they went from competing with WEWS for the area's BEST signal to being next-to-worst following the switch down to 8.

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that you get WJW with a roof-mount but not WOIO - yes, WOIO is on RF 10, which is marginally easier to get, but they have so little power behind them and such a sharp null to the north (which ends up being essentially "north of Parma = fail") that nobody has ever really had much luck.

Just anecdotally, this is kind of a funny thing here in Shaker Heights - I've worked with multiple people with multiple setups here, including Big Honking Rooftop setups, and WOIO doesn't come in - but SH is their city of license! It's always a bit funny hearing them say "WOIO - Shaker Heights" when they've had nothing to do with Shaker Heights in any way in so long, and you can't even get their signal there reliably...

Anyway, the Dish HD feed has been a lifesaver for WOIO and WJW, but now that it seems to be glitching... ugh!

I noticed watching Dollhouse on Fox 8 last night that it jumped from OAR to "shoe box" format with bars on the top and bottom. Then it went back. When it happened it seemed as though there was a glitch in the matrix. I am close to parma so I get the OTA fine for fox 8, but with WOIO there was always a struggle to get it to do anything.

I THINK THINK THINK this is because they haven't upgraded the equipment to add graphics or scrolls or weather maps on top of the signal yet. At least, I remember being told that pre-transition - no idea if that's still the case. I distinctly remember watching Sarah Connor Chronicles last season OTA and being annoyed because of the constant switching as a storm system came through. It's also possible they were adding a bug or something equally trivial - it may not have been very noticeable.

Apparently the "HD overlay" equipment, or whatever it's called, is quite expensive... they'll have to bite the bullet at some point, though. Hell, I believe even WOIO has it now, and they're notorious for being stingy and cagey with money and information...

I pick them up just fine OTA here in Central Amish Hell with a $30 antenna. Only issues we have is when we turn on the 625 or a timer on it fires off and the signal dips into the toilet so bad the channel goes out. Keep this up with the bad recordings and I'll have to get them to replace this funky box.

Browns game looked fine to me today. That is about the only thing I watch on that channel.

Where you watching in HD?
Channel 19 is so bad, its unwatchable. Its grainy, and out of focus. The newscast are really bad.

I need a little help here. Anyone with this channel let me know if it looks horrible to you. It is almost unwatchable. I wrote an email and got no response(WOIO). I do not believe this is a dish network problem, but woio problem.
The channel looks out of focus in the backround. The sports looks real bad. Little blocks in the backround. Let me know what I should do!
Bumping this old thread because I've noticed the same thing. WOIO looks atrocious on Dish, but fine via OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts