Wonder if dish reads these posts?

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
I wonder if dish reads any of these posts? Are they aware of the amount of negative posts and customer issues or are they in neverland? I find it hard to believe they are so out of touch with customer experiences. Youd think they would have someone monitor these posts so they could improve themselves and to get a read on what people are saying or feeling. Its getting very discouraging for sure. Ive been with them so long, Im just a creature of habit but even I would switch if I had a better alternative.

Thats just sad....but life I guess.

The thing is that most of the people who post are the ones having problems or feel that they are getting screwed. The happy ones don't have a reason to post. So it's kind of a one sided thing on any of the boards.

Dave nye said:
The thing is that most of the people who post are the ones having problems or feel that they are getting screwed. The happy ones don't have a reason to post. So it's kind of a one sided thing on any of the boards.

For sure that is the nature of these forums. However, I was always taught that sometimes if you read them carefully you can see the frustration or expectation of the customer and work to correct that. D* and E* are too much like GM and not enough like a Japanese model that looks for critisism and tries ways to resolve. We Americans have to learn everything the hard way. I can only hope that VERIZON FIOS will one day wake these guys up to the real world.

In fairness you can't plan your business around your least satisfied customers. Look for easy things you can fix, yes, but if you spend all your time catering to the unhappy people you may screw up what is working for everyone else.

I imagine the issue is that by its very nature, this forum attracts the most opinionated people. Most Dish subscribers probably never even realize things like the OLN or Lifetime issues ocurred, or know that there is a new box coming out next month, or even realize there is a price change about to happen.

I don't think most Dish customers get too deeply invested in Dish on a personal level, and for Dish that is probably for the best.

And if you are looking for weaknesses in your operation, I would never rely on a forum like this one to find them. I would survey. You will get more statistically meaningful information that way since it will be a better cross sampling of the "average customer."

Beyond that, there is a fundamental difference between what people say they want and what people will pay for. Ask people what they want and the answer is always the same at its core: "I want more than I get now and I want to pay less for it." Clearly that would be no way to run a business.

I think these forums are great for information sharing amongst users. And they are a great place to go for news. But I would be deeply worried about any company that started catering to the enthusiast message board crowd. By definition, we are not typical.

Also if they truly wanted to get an opinion they could ask here and the positives and negatives can come out.
They dont have to take offense, they should guide and moderate the thread to get both sides, many people would contribute if they felt it would make any difference at all.

All in all It just seems like an opportunity missed, as gutter says.

I posted a lot of negatives as i went with my newbie install, and had you guys lead me thrugh it. This forum kept me trying through my winter install. Without you guys i would have just quit and sold everything back on ebay.

I am very happy with Dish now, the 942 is amazing.

I agree that there is a lot of bile flowing here, but this is the corner bar with the worn out counters and cheap hos where you can bitch about anything and punch a few and get back some more. I love the way Scott, Ice(Gold)berg and the rest moderate it.

just make a thread that says post ur positive stories, and another that says negative. then send the links the the CEO email. they can read both and look for quotes or commercials and also see what they need to work on. but of couse they wont do either.

When Dish is doing the right things, there are a lot of positive posts on this forum.

In general, this forum is very pro-Dish. Look at the current poll that shows the majority of subs planning to stay with Dish.

Some people are always negative. That shows up, but it isn't that many people.

But most of the negativity comes when Dish earns it. Like when they dropped the resolution on VOOM to 1280x1080. Or this MPEG4 921/942 transition which marginalizes a lot of very good customers.

This forum is very supportive of Dish moving to MPEG4, of launching Echostar-10, of adding more HD channels, of the D1000 dish, and several others announcements.

Even the long threads on the Lifetime debate had a lot of pro-Dish posts, I perceived that the majority of people who participated there were behind Charlie. Likewise the posts from people with 811 receivers on the MPEG4 transition have been largely positive.

I don't see this forum as being Dish bashers at all. While I've written some negative posts about the 9xx MPEG4 transition and HD-lite, the majority of my posts have been positive, probably at least 2:1 positive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts