Wooden post for 120 cm Ariza dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I found out Friday August 7th at 19:49:02 EDT another good reason for not having a dish on a wooden post. My big "P" was on a 4 X 6 treated post that had only been in the ground four years and two months. Checking my security cameras recordings that is when the rotted post snapped off at the ground line and the dish went down. It did not do any damage but sure made a lot of work getting a nice 2-1/2" pipe setup and in the ground today. Post must have been a reject from one of the big box stores because it shoud not rotted out that quick. About Thursday, I will put the dish back and start the attempt to get it back on sats and all will be well. It will stay in place this time!!!

Reactions: polgyver
Some update...
After 3 years, we visited our friends' rural property again (4 hour drive North of Toronto).
The owner did not know whether the post was cedar, or pressure treated wood.
But the post keeps its shape really well. But it is exception rather, than the rule...
The steel pipe for Internet was $150.
Pictures, some annotated, follow:
IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1595.JPG

Cedar is probably the best choice if you do use a wooden post, especially in terms of warping and bugs stay away from cedar too. My 9' has been mounted on a cedar stump for years and it hasn't moved a fraction of a inch and the stump is as hard as a rock. This summer though, the 9' will hopefully finally make its way into cement and a small Ku dish will take its place on the cedar stump!

Reactions: polgyver
Cedar is probably the best choice if you do use a wooden post, especially in terms of warping and bugs stay away from cedar too. My 9' has been mounted on a cedar stump for years and it hasn't moved a fraction of a inch and the stump is as hard as a rock. This summer though, the 9' will hopefully finally make its way into cement and a small Ku dish will take its place on the cedar stump!
Sounds like it may be from the petrified forest.
I just replaced three cedar posts to my sister's split rail fence. They had been in the ground for 18 years. Cedar does hold up, but steel will last a lifetime.
My big "P" is up and working GREAT on the new steel pipe. NBC on SES3=Q85! Best yet.

Reactions: . Raine
I have a 36cm dish mounted to an evergreen tree stump from one of the trees I cut down last spring. Did some scupturing with the chain saw after I realized (Hey, I can use that!). I expect it will rot out in a year or two. The cedars we have are in good spots so I'll not cut them down to mount a dish though. Suppose an oak tree would work ok for a dish support too...I actually have a small oak growing behind the 120cm dish, as long as it's behind the dish I think I'll keep it. :) It's about 5 ft high and already has acorns growing on it...

I had two big cedar trees that I didn't really want to cut down, but my apple trees were getting cedar-apple rust, so it was a choice of either bad apples or cut the cedar trees. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts