World Cup 2006 LIVE!

The England vs Paraguay match stunk...and the ABC production made it an even worse experience: creepy sportscasters, SD until halftime, soft PQ (of course, the sun and shadows didn't help), and those field cams are horrible.

Yes I was watching on ESPN2. I am watching the England vs Paraguay on ABC HD and the feed has been in HD all the tiem. The broadcasters are dull on the game (lack of enthusiasm). The PQ is much better on ABC but not as good as I remember on WorldSport HD (even with the HD LITE).

In fairness, these games have different commentators. I've flipped to ABC a few times and some of the guys there aren't monotones. Everyone on univision is still better, but whatever...

and yeah ABC PQ is real soft. I was doing some comparisons before halftime of the 2nd match today and on univision (SD i'm talking about) you can see the numbers are clearly made of white lines with spaces between them, whereas on ABC it's a solid gray number. Noticably blurrier, but my ABC is like this a lot, especially during football season...

I don't know if it's a local thing or a national camera feed thing, but it's only during sports...

Just finished watching Game 4. Really enjoyed it in spite of the final score! It looked much more exciting to me than the morning game!
Both games were in HD. There was a short moment when they switched the ABC feed to SD and displayed a local ad at the bottom of the screen. So, if you are getting SD feed instead of HD it's the fault of your local ABC station!

Your system is going to get confusing around game 11 or so...=)>

But the 3rd game is excellent so far. Since i'm up in the 800's watching univision I flipped over to lucha libre between matches and saw a new mexican tag team, wearing goat masks...Crazy stuff...

It may finally be time to call Dish and go metallic. ABC-HD is not available in our DMA unless you subscribe to Comcrapst. The local ABC broadcaster and Comcast are is bed together and it's a LP station, so they don't play be the same rules as the real TV stations. Even though I have EPSN, the first game there won't be until Thursday's match between Sweeden and Paraguay.

I have only been able to watch the ABC games in HD and have been watching the others in SD.

I think the standard def picture quality is awful, even by standard def standards. The 720p ABC picture isn't as good as I would expect either. I also notice that when you watch international games on Fox Soccer Channel in standard def that the games look terrible.

I believe I heard somewhere that the lack of quality in all these broadcasts comes from these games being filmed in Europe with the PAL system and then having them converted to NTSC for broadcast in the USA. Can anyone comment on this?

Can't be true, univision's feed, which is exactly the same, looks MUCH better. It's ABC that's doing it. All my sports on ABC look terrible...

Since Univision has been seconds ahead for every game but 1, I did quite a bit of "look at it on univision, flip to abc and look at the same picture" and it's night and day the difference. ABC is grainy and washed out. It's their own fault...

I don't know if you guys are watching Australia vs. Japan since it's monday and you have to work, but jesus these guys are aggressive. I'd have gotten a red card before halftime for these guys just running over each other trying to get the ball...

My DVR is watching it for me :(
Unfortunately I will have to miss the US game too. Will catch up in the evening, though.

Australia vs. Japan was awesome

Japan was up 1-0, but australia came out in the 2nd pissed off. More specifically, the japanese goaltender felt the need to be more aggressive against them since they were hording his box. Australia tied it up at the 41min mark in the half...then got the go ahead goal 3 minutes later...and tacked on another one 3 minutes later. One was a throw-in where the jpn goaltender ran out to knock it away and barely touched it, australia tapped it in. 3rd one australia just flat out beat the guy 1 on 1. Good finish, crowd loved it and the japanese deserved it the way they play kamikaze soccer. They just go for the ball regardless if someone else is around it, really poor sportsman they are.

USA in trouble EARLY!! That 6'7" monster right in front of the goal is NOT what they want...

OMG, 2nd goal was worse than the first, guy was 40+ ft away...US is in trouble...

Koller carried out on a stretcher just before halftime, got caught up with a US defender on a breakaway. can't understand the spanish to see what's wrong with him and i'm not flipping to espn2 until halftime. Good news for the US team but they need a kick in the ass...

Last edited:
What a disappointing performance from the US team! They will now need a miracle on Saturday...

Maybe it's better they not make it past the first round if this is the crap they're going to play. No need to squeak out a win and prolong the agony when another team could give a much more spirited performance. I'm all for USA but if they're not going to try, why'd you make the trip?

Just finished watching the Brazil-Croatia game this morning. :)

One thing I don't like about ESPN is that score-ticker at the bottom of the screen.
What it means is that I have to watch all recorded games in their chronological order. Otherwise I would know the game score before watching it.
And I am not sure what I am going to do next week when ESPN and ESPN2 will start showing games in parallel. I am afraid no matter which game I watch first, ESPN will reveal the result of the other one...

Ilya said:
Just finished watching the Brazil-Croatia game this morning. :)

One thing I don't like about ESPN is that score-ticker at the bottom of the screen.
What it means is that I have to watch all recorded games in their chronological order. Otherwise I would know the game score before watching it.
And I am not sure what I am going to do next week when ESPN and ESPN2 will start showing games in parallel. I am afraid no matter which game I watch first, ESPN will reveal the result of the other one...
I did complain to ESPN about that. Not only the score/news ticker at the bottom, the top banner too is annoying. Too bad the spanish channels don't broadcast the games in HD, their broadcast is much better than ESPN/ABC. If you'd like you can go on espn.com and complain about it....:devil:

I wish E* would release the external storage feature faster, I forgot to delete some of the crappier WC games and I lost the good ones due to no space left. Both my 622 are full.

Spain's game was great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)