WorldSport-HD: Around the World Sports 6:30pm EST

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I do not know if this is going to be on tonight. The PG has been quite messed up but it is a new program on WorldSports. If anyone sees this in the day time, please post what it is all about since it is going to be one showing tonight at 6:30pm

Around the World Sports

Totally awesome. I caught a Sepak Takraw match. @@%#@$^!!! those guys are out of control. I couldn't take my eyes of the screen. I had never heard of takraw before this. If you haven't either, google image search on 'takraw'. What a wild sport. Looks like it may be part of the olympics soon. PQ was awesome. :D

Well, I did the search on google and came up with a lot of links. Here's one:

You may read the rest by clicking this link

Do you know Sepak Takraw?

Background and History
Sepal Takraw was created by the royal family of Malaysia about 500 years ago. The name itself comes from two languages. Sepak is "kick" in Malay, and Takraw is the "ball" in Thai. When it is born, It looked like Japanese "Kemari", and some became a circle, and a pole was kicked, and the number of times was being competed in.
It looks very similar to the Japanese traditional game, "kemari" where the players form a loose circle and the number of times the ball is kicked before it touches the ground is counted. In 1965 the game was unified into the present volleyball style with the addition of a net and the adoption of international rules.

myphoto2.gif

Game:
The court and the net height and size are identical to those used in badminton and each team has three players. The rules are very similar to those in volleyball, with the following five important exceptions.
The use of hands is not permitted.
Each player may touch the ball only once before it is kicked over the net.
There is no rotation in the defense position.
It becomes a score (net in) even if the ball touches the net before falling into the companion court.
Most people don't know very much about the game!

The PQ of the match is blurry at best. If I tell you what I think of this as a sporting event Ill just get criticized for being negative. But the PQ of the match doesnt look much better than SD.

vurbano said:
The PQ of the match is blurry at best. If I tell you what I think of this as a sporting event Ill just get criticized for being negative. But the PQ of the match doesnt look much better than SD.

The matches inside do. It looks like poor lightingh. There were a few shots of outside views and it was quite excellent. Don't know who show these, NHK?

vurbano said:
I watched part of the first match inside and it looked almost sd like.

I would not go that far. I would say that they suffer from poor lighting and colors. It looks like the match took place in a gym with very poor lighting.

Sean Mota said:
I would not go that far. I would say that they suffer from poor lighting and colors. It looks like the match took place in a gym with very poor lighting.
I wasnt saying it wasnt HD. Ive seen the same effect when there is too much sunlight on some things on Rush or discoveryhd. It gives the product an SD quality, blurry, not sharp. I think it is an experience factor that the producers dont have yet. I think HDnet has mastered these types of things.

Regardless, takraw rocks. Nice to see something other than soccer for a change, although I enjoy soccer too.

owlbox said:
Regardless, takraw rocks. Nice to see something other than soccer for a change, although I enjoy soccer too.
You think that rocks? Each to his own I guess. They got some kick boxing down the street in Vietnam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)