Worst company ever...

The migration is considered a upgrade .As such there might be a 2 yr commitment to sign .If so ,and if you have mixed receivers ,mpeg 2 and mpeg 4 .,Upgrade to mpeg 4 receivers .If your gonna commit for 2 more yrs might as well go all the way because 1 month after you have your dish upgraded and you want a receiver upgrade you are going to have to pay for it.

whatchel1 said:
Why do you think they had to upgrade the "nodes" just to provide HD?

Don't care why (yes I know why) but the point is I didn't have to pay a dime on my end to be upgraded to receive any new content that I would already be paying for.

I know I missed most of the fun stuff but, Xterra, I agree with you! Technology keeps changing, Dish Network and DirecTV can’t hang on to existing set ups forever, so they have to make changes, that’s fine I get that. But why should you, the consumer have to pay for their inability to use their current technology? I know we all pay for that as part of our monthly service, no matter what provider we choose, but why should we have to pay more on top of that? $20 is nothing, but it’s the principle of the thing. One of many things I don’t miss about satellite, when Time Warner went to switched digital video here, it cost me nothing to be able to receive the loads and loads of new HD channels. I am sure it cost them a pretty penny to upgrade all the nodes.
What makes you think you are entitled to receive MORE for no out of pocket expense?

I read through this thread and feel the same. I don't know why everyone is poking fun at the $20 because it's so low, when it's Dish that made changes that would require the OP to have a different satellite lineup to get what he/she is already paying for. It's not the $20, it's the principle.

Dish is IMPROVING the services offered to their customers. Customers are getting better service. Should that go uncompensated? These additional services cost money. Dish has to recover soem of the expense from the end user. However, it seems that all who are complaining here are actually saying, "let the next guy worry about it".

This can be compared to the "divot" anaology. Golfers that refuse ot fix their pitchmarks on the putting surfaces and repair divots in the fairways like to say "they have people to take care of that" (let someone else worry about it)..Really?..Well that repair work involves paying employes to do the extra work and thus costs more money. That drives up the cost of golf to the consumers. Of course the people who play are upset because the course raised the artes. They ask "why should I pay more just because the course management decided to give the course workers more work hours?".
As with golf, pay tv is a luxury. A choice. OIf we as consumers do not like the proce of the service, we are free to find other sources for tv. That's what is known as the "marketplace". Consumers can control prices by using or NOT using a product.
Lower demand equals lower prices. So if enough people decide to cancel their Dish service, the company will lower prices to meet lower demand.

Many of us got the dish upgrade for free. Probably they sensed your attitude. ;)

But I agree that some consistency would go a long way. All of us mixed-arc customers should have gotten a letter offering us a free upgrade. But as it is, some got the letter, some did not, some were offered a $15 install since they were on the DHPP, and others were charged $95.

Hate to revive this thread but can someone help me out here?
I have never been able to get AMC (and a bunch of other channels) in HD, even though their channel lineup card says they are in HD.

Some people here mention that they got migrated, others say they got a letter. The OP says he was told he needed to change equipment. None of the above apply to me. Why is that?
I have talked to CSR twice about i and they just plain lied to me and said they are not broadcast in HD (i asked about ch. 149 - Fox Soccer channel). After i read a few posts here i went to the chat, and i have talked to CSR and tech rep for the last 1.5 hours and they cant come up with a straight answer. first he wanted to replace my receivers (VIP622), now they want to send someone over to see whats wrong.

For the record, i am a big Dish fan, i really like their equipment, and their software (for the most part or compared to D*). But this is just ridiculous.

I really dont care about the cost (though i shouldnt have to pay for anything, since i have paid monthly dues for many many months and i have not received the service i paid for).

Anyway, my question really is. Do i have to point to sat 72.2 to get these channels?
if thats the case why cant they just say it?

Im currently pointing to 119, 100, and 61.5 using 2 dish 500, with dp34. I still dont know what all that means, but its on the screen.
Any help so that i can have all the information i need when i contact CSR again would be appreciated.

Yes, you need 72.7. A lot of the new HD channels that launched in the last 4 months are on 72.7 now.

Josh

Hate to revive this thread but can someone help me out here?
I have never been able to get AMC (and a bunch of other channels) in HD, even though their channel lineup card says they are in HD.

Some people here mention that they got migrated, others say they got a letter. The OP says he was told he needed to change equipment. None of the above apply to me. Why is that?
I have talked to CSR twice about i and they just plain lied to me and said they are not broadcast in HD (i asked about ch. 149 - Fox Soccer channel). After i read a few posts here i went to the chat, and i have talked to CSR and tech rep for the last 1.5 hours and they cant come up with a straight answer. first he wanted to replace my receivers (VIP622), now they want to send someone over to see whats wrong.

For the record, i am a big Dish fan, i really like their equipment, and their software (for the most part or compared to D*). But this is just ridiculous.

I really dont care about the cost (though i shouldnt have to pay for anything, since i have paid monthly dues for many many months and i have not received the service i paid for).

Anyway, my question really is. Do i have to point to sat 72.2 to get these channels?
if thats the case why cant they just say it?

Im currently pointing to 119, 100, and 61.5 using 2 dish 500, with dp34. I still dont know what all that means, but its on the screen.
Any help so that i can have all the information i need when i contact CSR again would be appreciated.

Yes, you need 72.7. A lot of the new HD channels that launched in the last 4 months are on 72.7 now.

Josh

wouldnt tech support know this already?
why are they wasting my time? it is clear that i am not getting all my channels because im pointing to the wrong sat. Wish i knew more about this so i could really press on this.

Look around this site, you'll find plenty of posts about this.

CSRs tend to have limited knowledge. Turnover is high, training is constant and seemingly under budgeted. I'd gladly see my bill go up $2/month if they'd give a significant raise to their CSRs and reduce turnover. Of course, it's a hard job at any pay scale, dealing with often angry customers.

i understand the CSRs may have high turnover, but the tech support too?

im trying to explain to them what i need but im having a hard time with them saying the receivers are bad...

20 bucks just to switch sats? You must work for them. Attitude. She couldn't even tell me what package I had. I pay 80 bucks a month and they can't even switch it for free?? Retards..
I have to agree with all of the previous comments? 20 bucks?? Thats a deal. But like a lot of people you are being called to the "the grass is greener on the other side" Sigh, I guess you will have to learn it for yourself.
Take the offer!!

I just got this done, they transferred me to the loyalty dept.

they waived the $15 fee, and signed me up for the support plan, but waived $5 off (for the tv2 connection). so in all im out $1/mo. and in 6 months i can cancel that, so it will cost me a total of $6.

In principal theys hould be paying for it, $6 is not going to kill me. I'll buy 1 less happy meal this year....

I'm not asking to recieve more, I'm asking to receive what I'd already be paying for on a monthly basis with no additional hardware costs on my end. If there is a channel that is included in my programming package that I'm already paying for, I should get any and all hardware needed to receive that channel at no additional cost.

Just like satellite and charging extra for HD. If my programming package includes History Channel, why the hell should I have to pay a $10 HD Fee to get access to History HD, its the EXACT SAME content, but in HD. I'm already paying for it once.

All these companies are all the same, Dish is no different. Everything is to their advantage, just fully read any contract whether it's a pay TV company, cellphone company, etc and you'll see how lop-sided the scale tips to their end. And then there's the "You are one of million's of customers" attitude. Fact is, we are one of millions but we as consumers only have a few choices of providers or no choice at all. I have been screwed by Comcast, DirecTv, Tmobile, Verizon (regular phone), Clearwire, and a few others and yes even Dish. I still have Dish though because frankly, I am out of options. Same thing with AT&T Wireless. Screwed by them as well but left with no other options. Even so, other options do not give damn as well. Funny thing is, they seem to only care once you already leave. Moral of the story is dish is not the worst company ever, they are in fact the same shady kind of company that all of the rest are and they do not care about you or what is right and you are only one of millions to them. Very unfortunate but such is life.

If you have seriously been screwed over by that many companies, it sounds like you're doing something wrong on your end too

All these companies are all the same, Dish is no different. Everything is to their advantage, just fully read any contract whether it's a pay TV company, cellphone company, etc and you'll see how lop-sided the scale tips to their end. And then there's the "You are one of million's of customers" attitude. Fact is, we are one of millions but we as consumers only have a few choices of providers or no choice at all. I have been screwed by Comcast, DirecTv, Tmobile, Verizon (regular phone), Clearwire, and a few others and yes even Dish. I still have Dish though because frankly, I am out of options. Same thing with AT&T Wireless. Screwed by them as well but left with no other options. Even so, other options do not give damn as well. Funny thing is, they seem to only care once you already leave. Moral of the story is dish is not the worst company ever, they are in fact the same shady kind of company that all of the rest are and they do not care about you or what is right and you are only one of millions to them. Very unfortunate but such is life.
can you give just a couple of examples of how you were "screwed"?

I'm not asking to recieve more, I'm asking to receive what I'd already be paying for on a monthly basis with no additional hardware costs on my end. If there is a channel that is included in my programming package that I'm already paying for, I should get any and all hardware needed to receive that channel at no additional cost.

Just like satellite and charging extra for HD. If my programming package includes History Channel, why the hell should I have to pay a $10 HD Fee to get access to History HD, its the EXACT SAME content, but in HD. I'm already paying for it once.

You're paying for the programming. The hardware they give you in lieu of a 24 mth commitment. Upgrades, which in a technical sense this is, do cost money.
If $20 is too much, you have options.

But it shouldn't be up to me to pay for additional or upgraded hardware to enable me to view channels I pay for but am not able to get due to technological advances. $20 is not too much, it’s the principle and I have exercised my options. I left Dish Network in February of 2004, and two years later called it quits on DBS altogether when I went back to cable. That kind of attitude satellite holds was one of the many turn offs. Funny how when I replaced my DVR this past summer with the new model I didn't need to commit to anything with Time Warner. Just walked into the office and told them I wanted to exchange the old model for the new one and they did it free of charge, no questions asked.

But it shouldn't be up to me to pay for additional or upgraded hardware to enable me to view channels I pay for but am not able to get due to technological advances. $20 is not too much, it’s the principle and I have exercised my options. I left Dish Network in February of 2004, and two years later called it quits on DBS altogether when I went back to cable. That kind of attitude satellite holds was one of the many turn offs. Funny how when I replaced my DVR this past summer with the new model I didn't need to commit to anything with Time Warner. Just walked into the office and told them I wanted to exchange the old model for the new one and they did it free of charge, no questions asked.
TW's stuff is recycled and company owned equipment.
If you think that's a better deal, I say take it.
That new hardware Dish places on your premises has to be paid for one way or another. If you think it's ok for soemone else to cover the nut, you're mistaken. One way or another the company will get their money.