Worst Nicknames in Sports

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Okay, here are a few of my worst nicknames (male) in sports and my rationale. Obviously, it's a personal choice so please feel free to disagree and/or add your favorites...er, least favorites.

Chick - come on...why and heck you would call a dude Chick?...especially an ugly dude! :D
Babe - unless you're Babe Ruth please give this nickname back (see Chick)!
Bubba - applies to anyone who doesn't actually look like a Bubba, such as Bubba Watson
Chipper - great nickname if you're singing on the show Glee...otherwise change it to Shredder
Whitey - well, I guess Cracker and Sambo are more racially offensive.

Great thread idea!! :)

Off the top of my head, the one that always bothered me in Boston was Robert "Chief" Parish. Don't get me wrong, Parish was a great player that helped the Celtics win 3 titles. But Bruins great John Bucyk was "Chief" in Boston first, so...........

There's many more. I'll have a more thorough list later.

the only sports related figure that I can ever refer to as Chick is Chick Hearn.
'Big Baby' isn't a complimenting nickname, but it fits Glen Davis so well that I'm not sure if its bad or not...

Great thread idea!! :)

Off the top of my head, the one that always bothered me in Boston was Robert "Chief" Parish. Don't get me wrong, Parish was a great player that helped the Celtics win 3 titles. But Bruins great John Bucyk was "Chief" in Boston first, so...........

There's many more. I'll have a more thorough list later.
Per wikipedia:
His nickname was "The Chief", after the fictitious Chief Bromden, a silent, giant Native American character in the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. According to Parish, former Celtics forward Cedric Maxwell gave Parish this nickname because of his stoic nature.
chiefbromden.jpg

Attachments

• OneFlewChief.jpg
    OneFlewChief.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 126

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)