Worst sports announcer - Sami on worldsport.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I watched the game and the play-by-play was actually good. I could understand the guy with no problems, despite his accent. I wish I could speak his language as he does with ours. As for the other one, I think he was worse than poor little Sami. To carry out a telecast in a foreign language, not even being helped, but hampered by the other announcer, is way more than decent.

I am actually very impressed with the level and quality of the basketball action so far; very exciting and highly entertaining. The announcers---while certainly not the best---don't annoy me to the point of changing the channel. Plus, it's just not economically feasible to have better announces at this time. Cheer up - it could be worse! Dick Vitale could actually be calling the game. :eek: It could be much, much worse. ;)

riffjim4069 said:
Plus, it's just not economically feasible to have better announces at this time.
I'm not suggesting they go out and steal the top announcers in the world. But how much more could it cost to get a couple guys who speak English well, and know the international game and players? I would think there are thousands of aspiring announcers who would kill for that job, and lots that would probably do it for food money and travel expenses just with the hopes of getting spotted by a bigger network. I literally think you could grab a couple high-school kids, spend 20 minutes telling them who the players are, and have better announcers than the current ones. I'd like to see them get good announcers -- but that may not be economically feasible. But if "better" is the standard, well that shouldn't be difficult at all!

riffjim, I nominate you for the job. Sure, I've never heard you speak -- but just from reading your last post I can tell you know the language better than the guys they have. So unless you have a thick accent that makes it impossible to understand you, you have my vote! Actually, even if you do have the accent you're still a better choice due to the whole knowing-English thing!

riffjim4069 said:
I am actually very impressed with the level and quality of the basketball action so far; very exciting and highly entertaining.
Agreed.

Weaver said:
I watched the game and the play-by-play was actually good. I could understand the guy with no problems, despite his accent. I wish I could speak his language as he does with ours. As for the other one, I think he was worse than poor little Sami. To carry out a telecast in a foreign language, not even being helped, but hampered by the other announcer, is way more than decent.
I long for the day I awake with standards this low.

As far as sympathy for "poor little" Sami goes, I have none. He's doing a job at which he is terrible, and for which he is unqualified. Poor little Sami sucks. But, he may actually be the best of the three announcers I've heard over the course of two games!

TheTimm said:
riffjim, I nominate you for the job.
Thanks! Although a sane and rational person by day, I tend to be something of a sports fanatic by night. I get the feeling Jimmy the Riff would open his yap just wide enough to place both the left and right foot. I would then be known as Jimmy the RIF'd :(

Response (Michelle) - 01/21/2005 12:17 PM

As a growing company, we certainly appreciate your feedback about our HD
Original Channels. I will share your suggestion to use announcers without heavy accents for the soccer games that air on WorldSport HD with our WorldSport team.
We will keep your message on file so we can use it when making future decisions about our program offerings.

Thank you again for choosing VOOM!
LOL LOL LOL LOL :haha .......... :river
This is the response I got to my e-mail about Sami and the boys. Apparently, all she got out of it is that I want announcers without heavy accents.
But I just love the opener -- "As a growing company..."!! Are you kidding me? Don't they get the news out there? "...when making future decisions about our program offerings." -- nevermind, Michelle, I'll ask someone at Dish. :what :river

With the sale of the satellite, things are not looking good for Sami. I cant imagine him announcing for anyone else.

vurbano said:
With the sale of the satellite, things are not looking good for Sami. I cant imagine him announcing for anyone else.
Welll, who knows? Maybe he has plenty of contracts in his native country (different language & culture) ;). One thing for sure, we won't see him at ESPN. LOL.

So Vurbano... You wanna be hired for the job? Where are you from? 'Cause you really have to be deaf if you didn´t notice Sami is actually American. Yeah, baby, from Boston. He´s 23, still learning this telecast stuff, and getting better. Ditto for Paul and Sid. Man, these guys have a +15 year career in journalism and broadcasting. It happens that they´re English, so crisping their accent seems ackward. Maybe you should clean your ears, dude. I wonder if you are half as good they are in whatever you do in life (although you seem to be pretty good at beating up people). Have a nice day!!

Campos said:
So Vurbano... You wanna be hired for the job? Where are you from? 'Cause you really have to be deaf if you didn´t notice Sami is actually American. Yeah, baby, from Boston. He´s 23, still learning this telecast stuff, and getting better. Ditto for Paul and Sid. Man, these guys have a +15 year career in journalism and broadcasting. It happens that they´re English, so crisping their accent seems ackward. Maybe you should clean your ears, dude. I wonder if you are half as good they are in whatever you do in life (although you seem to be pretty good at beating up people). Have a nice day!!
Sami's American!?! Oh my god, that makes it even worse! So if it's not a indecipherable foreign accent, is it a severe speech impediment? And of course he's getting better, how could he get worse?

By the way, welcome to the forums Sami--er, Campos! We need more people around here defending incompetence. :D

Hey TIMM, if you think I´m Sami, it´s your problem. The guy is no good, but not as bad as he sounded. Have you ever tried to say Adlalovic, Bogdanovic, bla, bla, bla. It ain´t easy, man. The fact that he´s from Boston, 23, and so on, I got it from WorldSport, I called them, and gave me the information. It´s better than hiding here in the Forum and rip people.

How are things going in Warren? Pretty good here around Pittsford. Thanks for welcoming me, though I´ve been reading the Forum since 2003...

Don't really think you're Sami, Campos -- just tryin' to make a funny :p !

And actually, I thought he was the best of the three basketball announcers I suffered through/enjoyed -- which isn't to say he doesn't suck. But you're right about at least one thing -- saying those names can't be easy. And I think that's Sami's biggest issue. I would recommend he studies more, or quits trying to say the name of everyone who touches the ball. By the time he's done figuring out who the guy is and how to say his name, the ball's at the other end of the court. If he can't recognize the players and can't pronounce their names when he finally checks the number against his program and figures out who it is, he should consider not trying so much to say each name on each touch and concentrate instead on simply describing the action. But I think the first thing he needs to do is study -- do his homework, learn who the players are, how to recognize them quickly and how to pronounce their names. Practice, practice, practice. Preparation, preparation, preparation. You know, treat it like he's a pro. He's coming across as an amateur in my opinion.

As far as "hiding here in the Forum ripping people" goes, that isn't exactly how I'd describe what I'm doing, but hey -- you say tomato, I say Sami sucks. I don't have WorldSports' phone number (maybe you could post it?), so the best I could do was to e-mail Voom with my recommendations. Didn't seem to interest them much. This is sorta why forums like this exist -- for folks with common interests to discuss such interests. I'm in a thread about whether or not Sami is the worst sports announcer, within a forum on Voom Current Programming. It seems like the appropriate place for such conversations, not necessarily a hiding spot.

Warren? She's mighty cold and snowy! But I just bought me a house here, so I'm still kinda diggin' it. I stepped up in dwelling (was renting a basement!), but down in neighborhood (it was in Royal Oak). The Voom rocks at both! At least for now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)