Worst times EVER to be a fan of your favorite team?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Sometimes, as fans of certain teams, we have a really terrible period where our team is really bad and it seems as if things won't get any better.

What were those times when your favorite team/teams went through a REALLY bad period?

Examples:

In 2002-03, my Sabres were thisclose to declaring bankruptcy and possibly move/fold. That is the closest I ever came to severing my Sabre ties.

Bill lived through the 1990 Patriots season, whom he, and many, consider as the worst team in football history (on the field was bad; off the field was another story); oh, and the 1992 season also was pretty bad. The fact that he did not sever his Patriot ties despite those awful years is amazing.

I'm sure Jimbo remembers the 'Darkness with Harkness' years the Red Wings had.

Sandra survived Rich Kotite's time with the Jets and the New York Ranger$ era from 1997-2004, when they had tons of money and big names, but equaled little on-ice success.

HD MM lived through the Indians' pre-Hargrove days when they lost a lot, as well as the pre-LeBron Cavs.

Feel free to reminisce about these tough times as a fan.

Last edited:
I don't remember too much about the Mets of the mid-90s but the yrs. from 2002-2004, the Mets stunk. I know it's ONLY 3 yrs. but it was tough. Nothing's worse then when your team is out of the playoff race by mid June. It becomes a long summer. Not only that, since there isn't any sports besides baseball in the summer, it makes it really hard to watch your team go down the drain.

Sabres,

great thread idea! :up

Here's my nominees :

Patriots of 1990- I challenge anyone to beat this one. I went to three Pats games in '90, sat in hours of traffic on Route 1 and froze my butt off sitting on steal benches with no back rests, in an erector set dump of a stadium.........and those were the good points. :eek: That Patriots team was, by far, the most inept offensive team that I've seen in my 32 years following the NFL.

Red Sox of the early 90's- the Butch Hobson era......eeek! These teams had no charisma, personality and were devoid of a lot of talent, which pretty much led to my apathetic feeling of these teams.

Celtics of 1977-1979- These two years of Celtics ineptitude were the "bridge years" from John Havlicek to Larry Bird. The Celtics had malcontents like Marvin Barnes, Curtis Rowe, and Sidney Wicks "lead" the team in these forgettable seasons.

Bruins- pretty much the whole 2000's, but it looks like things are turning around........slowly but surely.

Last edited:
Not only that, since there isn't any sports besides baseball in the summer, it makes it really hard to watch your team go down the drain.

Unfortunately, it's not really hard to watch your MLB team go down the drain. National Streetball League ends their season in late June, NFL starts their preseason in early August, so MLB only has the spotlight for one month. If your team is doing horrible, you only have to watch them suffer 1/6th of their season.

NFL and streetball should start in November (and last until opening day of the MLB season) so MLB becomes the true sport of summer and not just an afterthought on national sports talk radio for 10 months of the year (all but July and October).

That Patriots team was, by far, the most inept offensive team that I've seen in my 32 years following the NFL.

I checked the numbers; yes, their 181 points were awful, but there was a worse offensive team than even that.

A year later, in 1991, the 1-15 Colts scored 143 points. That is the record for fewest points by a team since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978.

I checked the numbers; yes, their 181 points were awful, but there was a worse offensive team than even that.

A year later, in 1991, the 1-15 Colts scored 143 points. That is the record for fewest points by a team since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978.

I admit I may have went overboard with "by far", but who would you have rather had as your skill players:

Team "A"- Marc Wilson, John Stephens, Irving Fryar, Hart Lee Dykes, Zeke "The Pervert" Mowatt

Team "B" - Jeff George, Eric Dickerson, Billy Brooks, Jessie Hester, Ken Clark

Granted the '91 Colts scored fewer points than the '90 Pats, but the talent on the field wasn't close.

I admit I may have went overboard with "by far", but who would you have rather had as your skill players:

Team "A"- Marc Wilson, John Stephens, Irving Fryar, Hart Lee Dykes, Zeke "The Pervert" Mowatt

Team "B" - Jeff George, Eric Dickerson, Billy Brooks, Jessie Hester, Ken Clark

Granted the '91 Colts scored fewer points than the '90 Pats, but the talent on the field wasn't close.

Good point.

BTW, I won't even bring up the Lisa Olson incident, but I'll bet that story was as bad as Spygate, if not worse.

The Matt Doherty era was as bad as it gets for me.

As for the Panthers they actually went 1-15 in 2001, but ironically they were surprisingly competitive in most of those games. Last season with David Carr was gut wrenching. They couldn't even get past the 50 yard line. Maybe somebody can check the stats on this, but I've NEVER seen a QB as ineffective as Carr. His QB rating must have been in negative #'s.

This is a great thread idea.

For me, it's as follows:

Sabres is right about the Rangers' run of missing the playoffs, but I think it was worse when we actually had hope two years ago, when things were looking brighter and we were destroyed in four games by the Devils. Henrik having a marvelous season and then being hurt come playoff time, Jagr embarassingly trying to punch someone and separating his shoulder in the process, Ozolinsh scoring on his own team because he decided the Devils needed another one...it was just terrible.

I'm also getting the feeling 2008/2009 may be added to the list. Losing Jagr, Shanahan, Tyutin, and especially Marty Straka, and replacing them with the unpredictable Nikolai Zherdev, as well as Naslund, Fritsche, Voros Rissmiller, and two schlubs on defense, Kalinin and Redden...I fear dark days are once again upon us. Please save us, Henrik (and please give me a call while you're at it). Glen Sather, you are once again approaching ineptitude territory.

For the Knicks it's never been as bad as it's been the last five or so years. Professional sports just doesn't get much worse than this...Jerk-Lander fans are laughing at us.

For the Yankees, the period when I first started watching them, from around 1985-1995. Not fun.

For the Jets, yes, the Rich Kotite era was terrible, but I think it was more painful watching Herm Edwards make sideline mistakes when he had a very good team that could have done some good things.

For St. John's...right now.

That's three out of five of my teams who are possibly going through the worst era of their existence (well, their worst era of existence while I was paying attention anyway) as we speak...ugh.

Sandra

This is a great thread idea.

For me, it's as follows:

Sabres is right about the Rangers' run of missing the playoffs, but I think it was worse when we actually had hope two years ago, when things were looking brighter and we were destroyed in four games by the Devils. Henrik having a marvelous season and then being hurt come playoff time, Jagr embarassingly trying to punch someone and separating his shoulder in the process, Ozolinsh scoring on his own team because he decided the Devils needed another one...it was just terrible.

I'm also getting the feeling 2008/2009 may be added to the list. Losing Jagr, Shanahan, Tyutin, and especially Marty Straka, and replacing them with the unpredictable Nikolai Zherdev, as well as Naslund, Fritsche, Voros Rissmiller, and two schlubs on defense, Kalinin and Redden...I fear dark days are once again upon us. Please save us, Henrik (and please give me a call while you're at it). Glen Sather, you are once again approaching ineptitude territory.

For the Knicks it's never been as bad as it's been the last five or so years. Professional sports just doesn't get much worse than this...Jerk-Lander fans are laughing at us.

For the Yankees, the period when I first started watching them, from around 1985-1995. Not fun.

For the Jets, yes, the Rich Kotite era was terrible, but I think it was more painful watching Herm Edwards make sideline mistakes when he had a very good team that could have done some good things.

For St. John's...right now.

That's three out of five of my teams who are possibly going through the worst era of their existence (well, their worst era of existence while I was paying attention anyway) as we speak...ugh.

Sandra

Haven't seen you in a while. Lot of stuff to catch up on.

Not only are there some great threads that could use your insight (Random thoughts, high-scoring games, College football), but other things as well.

Yanks lost a catcher and gained a catcher, and have played some decent baseball.

Preseason football starts (if you care).... and that's pretty much.

BTW, what does the C in SandraC stand for?

Well, I think this season is going to be rough to be a Mich football fan.

For as long as I can remember it's been rough to be a lions fan, but even worse lately.

Bruins- pretty much the whole 2000's, but it looks like things are turning around........slowly but surely.

2005 and 2006 were pretty dismal, management miscalculation getting out of the lockout, gutting the roster that finished 2nd in the east and let people like Mike Knuble, Brian Rolston, Michael Nylander, Sergei Gonchar go. Alexei Zhamnov signed, then Joe Thornton gets traded, Sergei Samsonov traded

Before the lockout they had a pretty good track record at least during the regular season, finishing 1st overall in the east in 2001-02 and 2nd in 2003-'04, only to blow a 3-1 lead to those #$%@# habs. I think both times cracking the 100 point.

I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan, enough said. :D

Although, I things are finally on the right track.

Washington Redskins: 1993 - 1998 & then 2000 - 2003. Even though Joe Gibbs had a losing record in his first year back as Redskins head coach in 2004, I knew he was going to turn it around.

Yep, growing up during the Ned Harkness era of the '70s was an experience I don't wish to relive any time soon. Thank goodness for Mickey Redmond and a few other straws to grasp because it was paiful to hear my Dad and other old-timers talk about the glory teams with Abel, Howe, Lindsey, etc.

Currently, this years Michigan Wolverine team has me on pins 'n needles going into the season kickoff. I haven't been this worried about the team since Gary Moeller took over for Bo...never mind, I am actuall quite concerned this could be our worst team and first losing season since the 60s.

Right now if you are a Reds fan like me. They just got swept by a AAA team called the Washington Nationals. Actually it's been like this for nearly 10 years with very little hope of getting better.

UConn and "LaptopGate"

Mets and the most of the 1990s :)

It's fun watching the Knicks (and thus, the antichrist that is MSG) circle the bowl right about now. :)

SandraC - St John's? Uh oh. :)

Well for me its very easy and I am sure that by looking at my avatar most would know.

The 2007 for my Irish. That was living hell to go through. Sad thing is we could sit there and watch it and see what was wrong it was just a very difficult thing to fix with the schedule we had in the first half of the season.

On the bright side because of experience we should be a bit better (can't get much worse). Hopefully we can close that gap on winning percentage on Michigan but that is a tall order. (no disrespect to Michigan Fans )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)