Would a Grey Hoverman build be worth building?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
At the moment I'm in a basement apartment.

Our zip is 65203

Antennaweb says we should be able to get

KMIZ-DT 17 ABC
KOMU-DT 8 NBC
KMOS-DT 6 PBS
KQFX-LD 22 FOX
KNLJ-DT 20 REL

TVfool says we should be able to get
8 komu
17 abc
20 (25) knlj
15 (6) kmos
12 (13.1) cbs
28 klmc-lp

Right now we are using an indoor amplified antenna I got from Radio Shack that is surrounded by a bunch of pie tins, baking pans, and a wall of aluminum foil all acting like reflectors for it to pull in some channels.... Without the aluminum we get 8 and that's about it...

We get 17 when rain or clouds are not in the way. The wall of aluminum foil pulls in 17, but on a rainy day, forget about it because it's not gonna happen.

We get 8 all of the time since the signal source is very close.

We get 6 very well due to a strategically placed baking pan.

We get 25 (which is really 20) about the same amount of time as 17... but it's religious channel so I could care less for it.

We never get 22. I really miss the days when 22 was broadcast as a subchannel on one of the others right after the digital tv transition a few years ago...

I've never heard of 28, so have no idea what the heck that is.

I really want to start getting fox and cbs since it's getting old having to use the internet to watch cbs stuff the day after it airs. (I really miss the days the Beumont Tx Fox was on FTA)

so... I'm thinking about building a grey hoverman with plans listed over at

http://www.diytvantennas.com/sbgh.php

However, I'm not sure if it'll do a better job than the amplified thing I've got set up now. I'd hate to tear down the wall of aluminum if the hoverman won't be better... Would hoverman work better than amplfied in a basement like this?

I read somewhere that 13 is nearly impossible to pick up in basements no matter what antenna you have because of something to do with the frequency and being underground cancelling out the frequency... but I only read that on one forum one time a couple of years ago... so not sure there's much to that?

If I do try the hoverman would there be any way to combine the signal from it and the amplified antenna too, or would that be a mistake? I used to have an fta setup at our old place. Would the diseqc switch from fta setup or a simple splitter set up in reverse work as a combiner?

If it's impossible to combine, would the hoverman with a reflector on back work well enough to pull in the low channels?

Also, as far as the hoverman goes... I ripped the shielding off of an rg6 coax cable to use as the wire for it this afternoon (got a little bit of a blister from doing that, lol) - will that be strong enough to pull in a signal. I was thinking since it's copper it'll have to work. (had the rg6 from back when I had the fta setup - the ends were already cut off of it so I figure this is a good way to reuse it without having to trash it since copper ain't cheap...)

Last edited:
running a tvfool at 1 foot it doesnt look good
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=c08da1b1d8036b

28 doesnt really exist right now....according to rabbitears there is nothing on it
NBC and CBS are on VHF (8 & 12) so you might have to monkey with the rods on the antenna
22 (FOX) is low powered so indoor antennas usually dont get them (unless you're real close to it)

also you have directional issues. 8 is E whereas most others are SW (CBS is SE)..have you tried moving the antenna around?

Thanks. I'll probably just leave it as is... just frustrating on days like today when it's been raining all day.

I haven't tried moving it too much because we usually watch 8 and 17 and they come in sorta ok usually when weather cooperates.

On 6 the signal is strong even when weather is bad because of the pie pan. I wonder if there's some way to get 13 with another piepan? Kinda impossible to do that though since I've kinda filled the space around the antenna with enough aluminum to recreate the tin man in wizard of oz.

Is there any way you can get the antenna outside on the southwest side of the building? Or if you can't get outside is there a window facing southwest above ground level?

Watching TV with an antenna in the basement is like watching a baseball game while lying on the floor of the dugout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts