Would a Re-Alignment Be Beneficial?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

m4paws

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Hi,
I have the Slimline dish with 5 LNB, and the HR20-700 receiver. We have been getting some wet snow here and last night my signal went out completely, all signals read at zero. So I took a long pool brush I have & brushed the snow off the dish very carefully (the dish is on the roof). Picture came back. Then today when I got home from work, picture was badly pixelated, so brushed the snow off again, and picture came back. There was not a lot of snow at all, but a wet snow sticking to the dish, but only covering parts of the surface of the dish.

I talked to Directv & they told me that if I have a weak signal to begin with that any snow will cause problems. So I set up an appt for them to re-peak or re-align the dish for Saturday. But now I'm wondering if that would help or not.

I took 4 pics of all the satellite signals and wonder if anyone wouldn't mind looking at them to tell me if my signal is good as is, or could it be better with a dish realignment. Here's the link (you don't have to sign in or sign up to view the pics, just click on View Slideshow. There are 4 pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/2odkhp

I also wonder if spraying a silicon spray would help and if anyone knows of a brand, or what kind to get, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The signals reported on the receiver show readings that are not so bad for inclement weather. Depending on the storm that can cause the signal loss and problems your experiencing. If the dish is securely bolted and not moving it should be aligned correctly. Even if your dish is aligned or tweaked you can still experience signal loss during heavy downpours and snow storms. The goal of course is to have the highest signals possible on all transponders with each satellite to mitigate loss of signal.

If you have the protection plan, you should be fine for a new alignment but I doubt that is going to fix or prevent signal loss during inclement weather. It's your call, see what others feel about it.

Your dish alignment looks OK , the numbers for 103(b) are in the good range but could probably be fine tuned to the 90s.

Sorry the wet snow is causing problems, Here in east Tenn we only get that a couple times a year, I use a super soaker water gun or garden hose with nozzel to clean the snow and ice from the dish.

Matt

Thanks, JTN, I appreciate the reply. Sad thing is there wasn't a lot of snow at all and all the numbers went to zero. I didn't have the protection plan but took it so they would only charge me $14.95 instead of $70. I just hate for them to come out and tell me my signal looks fine and them not do anything.

Thanks for the reply, Matt. I wish I could use a hose to get ice and snow off but unfortunately here it gets too cold. My only option is a 15 foot pool brush. I think I"m going to stop off at the hardware store and get some silicon spray. Maybe that would keep the snow from sticking?

If those pics were taken after it was done snowing and the dish cleaned off, then they are a little weak. With a clear line of sight and a properly peaked dish they should mostly all be in the high 80’s to mid 90’s in fair weather. I’ve heard of heaters that attach to the dish to keep the snow off but never researched it.

If those pics were taken after it was done snowing and the dish cleaned off, then they are a little weak. With a clear line of sight and a properly peaked dish they should mostly all be in the high 80’s to mid 90’s in fair weather. I’ve heard of heaters that attach to the dish to keep the snow off but never researched it.

Agreed. I'd be worried about 60's and 70's if those readings were in good weather, and a realignment probably is in order.

If you got those readings when there was snow on the dish, I'd be curious to see what they were when the weather was better.

Wet snow will do it. Fluffy stuff doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've had success with both the reflector covers and the stretchy ones, not sure if they make any for the 5 LNB dish though.

Plastic trash bag!....Pull it tight.....little or no snow build up & the first sunny day the snow and ice melts............Remove it for the summer. Don't know which color is best but both work. I'd consider shrink wrap also.

Joe

While wet snow on a dish will wipe out the best signal, your alignment is way off. If D* is sending someone out, don't let them leave until you have at least a few 90's on each satellite except 99, but its really not that hard to do it yourself. With the good readings on 119 and 110 and the low readings on odd transponders on 101, this usually means your elevation is off. I'd adjust the elevation first to get the odd and even readings as close as possible on 101. Then adjust the tilt so that the readings on 101 and 119 are close to the same. The 103 should fall into line with at least some readings in the 90's. You may want to make minor adjustments to the azimuth at this point to target 103 for the best signal.

While wet snow on a dish will wipe out the best signal, your alignment is way off. If D* is sending someone out, don't let them leave until you have at least a few 90's on each satellite except 99, but its really not that hard to do it yourself. With the good readings on 119 and 110 and the low readings on odd transponders on 101, this usually means your elevation is off. I'd adjust the elevation first to get the odd and even readings as close as possible on 101. Then adjust the tilt so that the readings on 101 and 119 are close to the same. The 103 should fall into line with at least some readings in the 90's. You may want to make minor adjustments to the azimuth at this point to target 103 for the best signal.

Not to take this off topic but how the hell do you not let someone leave?

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. To answer, the readings I took were right after I brushed the snow off the dish. When the snow was on the dish, every transponder came up at 0, on every satellite. I got the 771 message, searching for signal. After about an hour of that, I decided to go outside and brush the snow off the dish. It was a wet snow, but not that much. I was just really surprised that all transponders went to 0.

Meanwhile, I went to a Home Depot and got some silicone spray and plan on spraying the dish tonight. Should I spray the LNB's too? If so, is there any part of them that I shouldn't spray?

Not to take this off topic but how the hell do you not let someone leave?

Seriously though, what if the guy says "your readings are fine." I've actually had them tell me this before even when the readings were low. Is there anything I can say in return?

Seriously though, what if the guy says "your readings are fine." I've actually had them tell me this before even when the readings were low. Is there anything I can say in return?

Well, you can't physically force the guy to stay, but you can refuse to sign the work order, which is just as good.

If he says your readings are good in the 60's, politely tell him he's full of it. :)

Meanwhile, I went to a Home Depot and got some silicone spray and plan on spraying the dish tonight. Should I spray the LNB's too? If so, is there any part of them that I shouldn't spray?

I wouldn’t spray the LNB. Silicone spray can potentially break down the plastic.

Thanks everyone. We sprayed the dish with silicon spray, and unfortunately we already sprayed the LNB. Any ideas on how to remove silicon spray? :(

Directv is supposed to be coming out tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Update

Well Directv just left and I am so glad they came out. It turns out I had a bad LNB which he replaced, as well as tweaking the dish. Now my signals are all reading in the 90's with most in the high 90's. So I hope at least with the stronger signal, I might have better luck with snow. I guess the test will be tomorrow when they're calling for snow and ice.

Thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate the help!

Well Directv just left and I am so glad they came out. It turns out I had a bad LNB which he replaced, as well as tweaking the dish. Now my signals are all reading in the 90's with most in the high 90's. So I hope at least with the stronger signal, I might have better luck with snow. I guess the test will be tomorrow when they're calling for snow and ice.

Thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate the help!

Your welcome, and I am very pleased it worked well for you, enjoy our DirecTV m4paws, you are very nice and appropriate, thank you.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)