Would Clear Channels coming with Road Runner ??

chrisntx_76549@yahoo.com

Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Cemntral Texas
I am thinking on just going OTA and online content, I only watch about 7 or 8 channels and the cable bill it is getting very expensive, does anyone knows if I keep Road Runner Internet and VOIP from TWC, I would still get the clear channels over same cable in the house?

If you keep a basic tv package (without a converter), yes. If you downgrade to a online service only, no. They will trap out the video portion.

Well the traps only take out channels from 50mhz up to their Roadrunner channel. (In our system its channels 88 and 89) So the trap does not block out channels above 89. So in a sense you should be able to pick up any digital channel unencrypted on those freqs. (Figure Ch88 is 609mhz, so from 609 to beyond 750 are the channels you will get. You will also probably get a few channels before their RoadRunner downstream channel because the traps are not perfect. They are as cheap as possible.

In Cincinnati the Lifeline Tier (below "basic") goes for $10.45/mo and includes local channels both SD and HD including most of the digital sub channels if you have a QAM tuner in your TV, Local access channels (the reason I still have cable), C-SPAN, HLN (Headline News), Weather Radar, TBN*, EWYN*, E!, GAC, ION and WGN America.

The lifeline tier here is the legally mandated basic package for larger cable systems. You should have something similar in TX. The other thing to consider is that in some areas Road Runner is $50/mo without cable service and $40 or $45/mo if you have cable service.

BTW, here all the digital channels except the locals and access channels are encrypted.

See ya
Tony

* provided by the local access/ 8am-4pm school days it's PBS for schools. This programming is not directly provided by TWC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)