Would it be feasible for Dish to covert all content to 1080p 24 fps?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Would it be feasible for Dish to covert all HD content to 1080p 24 fps?

Would it be feasible for Dish, to covert all HD content to 1080p 24 fps... even the 1080i 30 fps feeds, as bandwidth savings alone, would seem to justify such consideration...

I ask, because I wonder what impact it would have on the quality of video feeds, such as sports... throwing away 6 fps... would/could it soften clarity... create a potential for lag and trailing/blur, or even choppiness (dropped frames)?

Are we at a point we can morph such imagery, in realtime?

Is the 1080p 24 fps concept only applicable to film, since its already at 24 fps?

Curious...

Would this have to be an industry wide standard to maintain continuity?

I ask all this because, it appears the down conversion from standard PAL to NTSC, creates, at present, on the fly, poor results (i.e., BBC America, BBC World News, Sport, etc.). BBC programming viewed on PBS and HDNet, shot in HD, doesn't appear to share such anomalies... and assume they were originally shot in raw digital (no broadcast standard) or on film.

Last edited:
Speaking from logic, not specific knowlege, it would seem that fcom911's answer would be yes, it's feasible in the sense that it can be done, especially with digital. But if the question is should it, the answer is probably no. If I recall correctly, the PAL system is 576i/50i due to the electrical system in Europe. Converting that to 1080i or 1080p at the 60i or 60p rate means you end up with either dropped, interpolated, line-doubled or whatever else material. The same occurs also, of course, when 24p material is downconverted to 1080i or 480i or whatever, perhaps with the critical difference being that the original document (film) is of much greater resolution that the downconverted product.

Fitzie

The 24 fps is a film issue. Watch any movie on DVD and step through the frames. They go 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 to move it from 24 fps to 30. I don't see any reason to reduce framerates for broadcast.

Keep in mind that one of the main reasons ESPN is in 720p is so they can have 60 frames per second to get sports right. It would really suck to go from 60 to 24, even at 1080.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)