Would the 942 be better with duel HD tuners?

purvis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 24, 2004
It seems that it would be a better idea to have duel HD tuners were one can hook up two HD sets to the box. Perhaps a idea for the Mpeg4 HDVR later in the fall??? :)

I thinking that dueling HD tuners would be entertaining, if you are into that. I liked some of the dueling scenes in Gladiator.

My 942 has 3 HD tuners in it, 2 for cable and 1 for Off The Air. Unfortunately, in the output stage, I can only direct HD video to TV1 via the DVI output.

I would prefer it to have 4, adding another for OTA would be great. I also wish, since it is a 2-room box that it could supply signal to 2 HD televisions. It is a real waste to force TV2 to be a SD device.

It has 2 HD outputs but they both are on TV1, you could run the component connection to another TV but dunno if they're are some guidlines or limitations to go about doing that

tdillon said:
I thinking that dueling HD tuners would be entertaining, if you are into that. I liked some of the dueling scenes in Gladiator.
Personally speaking, a dueling tenor feature would have been an even better addition to the 942; drop Jose Carreras and let Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti have at it. E* really dropped the ball on this one. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do find the single OTA tuner to be an annoyance at times. I have two antennas...it would have been nice to integrate both antennas into the 942 and not mess with A/B switches or the built in OTA tuner on the HDTV.

Yet again, the total confusion between tuners and outputs. :(

Oh - and the 942 has ZERO repeat ZERO "cable" tuners. It DOES have 2 satellite tuners.

TO finish, the 942 has ONE HD output section (with multiple ways to connect it) and ONE SD output section.

Get it now, folks? ;)

The biggest problem with having 1 receiver outputting HD/ATSC to 2 different TVs on 2 differnt outputs is the cost factor involved and the routing of the select type of cable(say HDMI/DVI/Component) to 2 different rooms. These cables are very expensive at long distaces, and the PQ drops after a certain point. Unless you had 2 HD TVs on opposite sides of a wall, this wouldn't be a good setup. Also, keep in mind that the majority of HD TV owners still only have 1 HD TV, the how would it benefit most subs? Yes, only having 1 OTA is a drawback, but E* is more interested in promoting their HD content that they charge for over what you can get for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)