Would they charge for a service call if someone tampered with my setup?

Visitor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Big Apple
I received a Complete Signal Loss error today (Signal Code 11-12-11) and upon inspection of my setup, I discovered that my dishes were tampered with. I have an eastern arc setup plus an additional dish connected for 118. I used only 2 of the 3 receiver ports but someone had connected a cable to the third port unbeknownst to me. I disconnected that unauthorized cable and unfortunately I now still have the same error. I suspect when someone tampered with it - it knocked the eastern arc dish out of alignment. When I do a check switch, it seems to now only see the external 118 dish and not 61.5, 72, or 77.

So, I'm thinking of calling a tech out here to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be charged for this service call? I am assuming yes.

The reason I ask is because I am likely going to cancel Dish soon and no later than the spring time when I move. I already have Directv and was keeping Dish around with a minimalist package until I move. I would call a tech to get it fixed if it didn't cost any money, but if it will then I would figure it not worth it. I liked having a backup source during the winter months but I need to weigh it against paying to get it fixed.

Thanks.

Why shouldn't they charge you for a service call? It is your dish. Do you have the protection plan? If not look into getting it a service call is only $15 but don't tell them any more than you've lost signal.

Well, I didn't say that they shouldn't - but was wondering if anyone else had experience with this and I guess I was wondering how much that would cost. $15 is very reasonable!

Reasonable question, I don't know there is a definitive answer. But as a guess if you have the protection plan and the fix is easy like aiming, it will be the minimal charge. Maybe no need to mention tampering?
Were they trying to get a signal somehow?

Can you get to the dish fairly easily? You can probably aim the dish yourself. You can get the azimuth/angle off the receiver. Be sure the mast is still plum/level. Set the skew and/or elevation on the dish if it was tampered, then adjust the azimuth ("left to right") to as close as you can remember and move it left/right until you get the signal peaked. Again, you can get the signal strength off the receiver--have somebody watching TV and talking to you via cell phone (etc.) (Sometimes I'll adjust elevation "up/down" again and see if the signal can get any higher.)

There's probably some how-to videos on youtube or something too I'm sure.

Thanks.. I agree I think I'll leave the tampering out should I call them. I don't have the protection plan but it seems like it's not very expensive for them to come out to realign. At least I'm hoping that's all it is. The external 118 seems to flow through. I can get to the dish, but every time I've tried in the past to try to aim something I can never get it right... Perhaps I can give it a try again. It always seem so easy in print! :)

LOL Yes I did.. I wasn't going to get into that part - but I tracked it back to a house an astounding 3 houses away! The houses aren't that far apart, so it's not like it's huge lots away but shoot, still... I disconnected it and saw that it was coupled with a female/female connector close to that home so I disconnected that end and took the cable and threw the cable back on their property after I broke off the connector. Still figuring out what other action if any since that's one of the reasons why I am moving.

Wow...three houses away, someone has some big ones! Think I would have kept the cable, if it was anything good! Who in their right mind would do that and think that it wouldn't be noticed?

Last edited:
Wow...three house away, someone has some big ones! Think I would have kept the cable, if it was anything good! Who in their right mind would do that and think that it wouldn't be noticed?

It's not like they were stealing service. They were using an existing dish. They still needed a receiver that was activated by Dish and paid for monthly...

It's not like they were stealing service. They were using an existing dish. They still needed a receiver that was activated by Dish and paid for monthly...

hate to say it but folks still steal Dish with free to air receivers....not as easily as it was "back in the day" but it still can be done.

Probably a neighbor with out a line of site.

Call dish and if they value your business they will send someone for free

Claude, so typical of you. There's no valid reason this person should not pay the normal rate for a tech visit. None. I know you have an ax to grind with Dish, but honestly, I see your posting as mostly trolling. You always encourage people to act like that to Dish, due to your own issues with Dish.

I take it your in NY NY?

Did you check to make sure your?
Dish Skew = 88.5
Elevation = 42.9

Did you unbolt the dish so you could move side to side and fix it yourself? The dish should not move when you take the lnbf off. Does your dish move?

But it's pretty darn easy to move left to right to see if signal comes back in. :)

SomeDishGuy said:
Claude, so typical of you. There's no valid reason this person should not pay the normal rate for a tech visit. None. I know you have an ax to grind with Dish, but honestly, I see your posting as mostly trolling. You always encourage people to act like that to Dish, due to your own issues with Dish.

I got a big axe to grind with Dish. But not right now.

You can use this same tactic with Directv or any other provider.

The only reason why I suggested that because there is no consistent policy with any provider when it comes to service calls.

Some customers they insist they collect the $99, others they put on the protection plan and collect $15 and others they charge nothing.

It really comes down with any provider how valuable to them you are as a subscriber.

Even my own customers I don't charge a service call to when we send out a technician. I don't care if the customer was just installed,has the service plan or had the service 5 years. We serviced them all for free regardless.

Only time we ever charged customers is for the ones that abuse our policy and have us constantly going out for issues they create on their own.

If this was my customer, we would have sent out someone to fix it for free.

Thats how much I value my customers business. .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts