Would this be considered a clear LOS?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabrielkim0216

Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United States
I live in Los Angeles and the DirecTV installation person is coming in tomorrow. I'm getting the slimline dish Choice Extra package. I think it uses the 99, 101, and 103 satellites. The problem is I live on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor condo complex with my balcony facing north (HOA won't let me put a dish anywhere else.) However, I live in a unit that is right next to an open hallway and can view a part of the Southeast sky (see crappy blueprint below...). My plan was to get an 8 footpole (pretty much going all the way up to the bottom of the 4th floor) in a cement bucket or basket and attach the satellite to the end of the pole. I was wondering two things:
1. If i did a set up like pictures below (that's the best drawing i can do), would that be sufficient enough to get a solid signal? Using dishpointer.com, I was able to locate the satellites and took some measurements and after some simple trig, i was able to determine that I would BARELLLLY make it over the top (we're talking somewhere between inches to a foot or two over the building for the 99.2 bird) of the building to get a clear LOS to all three satellites

2. Would the dish installation person even try to install a dish given that the opening is so small...? Does he even have the proper tools to do something like this?
blueprint1.jpgblueprint2.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!
Until the installer gets there, there's no way of knowing if the install can be done with such a small window for los. Good luck though, and let us know how it turns out!

They're not going to install it on an 8 foot pole in a bucket. That's way too tall to have any type of stability. Max height for a bucket pole is like 2 feet. An 8 foot pole needs to go at least 3 feet into the ground with at least 160lbs of concrete.

I've got a 12 ft pole into the ground 3.5 ft. It's got 80 lbs of concrete and has been there five years with no issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)