Would VOOM channels be better as VOD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

agregjones

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
The more I think about this, the more I like it. VOOM channels repeat their content pretty frequently. Offering it as VOD would allow the content to be available without repeating it 30 times a month. It could take up zero transponder space and still be available.

What do others think?

They are starting the Dish on demand online service maybe they could have them all on there.

VOD would be a good option for D* and a good way for voom to sell their stuff. The problem will be bandwith, either D* or voom would have to house all that HD and have a huge uploading capability.

It just seemed like a good compromise between getting the content and spending all of the transponder space.

The principle argument against VOOM channels is repetitive content and their relative worth versus other content for the same transponder space. The principle argument for VOOM channels was that some of the content was compelling enough to be seen. This would put the onus on people that want the content (and have the bandwidth to get it) but would give DIRECTV the benefit of making it available.

I have a 5 Mbps connection at home and have really gotten a lot out of the current VOD SD content. Yes, HD VOD would be slower, I know. But think of it this way: VOOM has 5 shows you'd watch per month. You could queue them up and watch them whenever you wanted. The download times won't be fast, but it is faster than not having the content at all.

The other viable option would be a DVR-friendly channel with single runs of all the month's content across all channels. Imagine a channel with blocks of content from all VOOM channels looped. It only takes the space of one channel but is geared specifically for timeshifted viewing. Each piece of content is shown once a month on the combined channel. Perhaps new content is shown once a week.

Last edited:
100% agree as well. Or make a seperate Voom option for $4.99 per month. Since thats all they are worth.

I'd be happy with that. Just make them a premium HD, like HBO or whatever.

I'd pay an extra five bucks a month for them. I know everybody bashes the heck out of them, but I'd really like to have them.

If putting up all the existing VOOM channels meant cutting into bandwidth that could be used for something else I wouldn't be for it. If it was just one or two channels that consolidated programing I'd be for it. EVERYTHING ON VOOM IS HD. If they repeat the same show over and over again it takes just as much bandwidth to show the 10th repeat as it did the first.

If putting up all the existing VOOM channels meant cutting into bandwidth that could be used for something else I wouldn't be for it. If it was just one or two channels that consolidated programing I'd be for it. EVERYTHING ON VOOM IS HD. If they repeat the same show over and over again it takes just as much bandwidth to show the 10th repeat as it did the first.

That is my point. As a VOD channel (or several) it would take no satellite bandwidth. As one consolidated channel, it would not take as much. The point is to show the content at most once per month. This solves the bandwidth concerns and makes the content available.

Shouldn't this be in the Dish forum?

I wasn't aware that DirecTV offered Voom and it is in the DirecTV Forum.

To answer your question, I think a better solution would be to consolidate Voom into 3 channels.

Shouldn't this be in the Dish forum?

I wasn't aware that DirecTV offered Voom and it is in the DirecTV Forum.

To answer your question, I think a better solution would be to consolidate Voom into 3 channels.

They have been listed speculatively for months as possible additions to DIRECTV's lineup. They are not DISH exclusives.

They have been listed speculatively for months as possible additions to DIRECTV's lineup. They are not DISH exclusives.

I know they aren't Dish exclusives but DirecTV currently does not carry any of the Voom channels. Trust me, they don't want them. I used to love Monsters HD... the channels have really gotten rotten.

I know they aren't Dish exclusives but DirecTV currently does not carry any of the Voom channels. Trust me, they don't want them. I used to love Monsters HD... the channels have really gotten rotten.

I actually had VOOM while it was available. I agree that they make lousy traditional channels. But VOD would make the few watchable pieces of content available. The point is that these obviously haven't been picked up by anyone else in the high-repeat configuration now offered.

If D* carried Voom it would come with the Family pack, at no additional charge. I can remember when we all said "wow" Voom comes with that HD pack" Now we all say "I hope Voom doesn't come with that package"

DirecTV should add VOOM as a $4.95 package.

Those that like this kind of HD content can then sign up.

Dish does own a small part of VOOM, , but the part of Dish that OWNS the Voom patail share is the Echostar part of the company not the Dishnetwork part.

Remember they want to spin off Dishnetwork to an other company with its own stock symbol. EchoStar (or Dish Corp) could them make the profit on DirecTV selling the Voom Package.

I think Voom could be added to DirecTV this week if they could all just agree on it. Voom is already uplinked in space. DirecTV would just need to pull in DishNetworks Voom signal and then re uplink it on there sats.

DirecTV claims it has all this bandwidth for 100 HD national channels. But they dont have 100 HD channels because they claim the content is not out there. Voom has 14 HD channels why dont they carry the VOOM package TODAY?

About a Year ago Dishnetwork offered the VOOM package for $5.00 so I know this can be done.

DirecTV . . . . Talk to Voom and Echostar and Sign the contract. Give us the 100 National HD channels today please.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)