Would you aim a BUD in St Louis MO for $150 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've contacted a very experienced friend in the area.
We'll see what the customer wants.
There's gotta be a reason the advert is still running.
- maybe the BUD needs to be installed from scratch?
- maybe the customer wants full 4DTV functionality?
- maybe there are new buildings or trees killing LOS?
- or is unwilling to buy parts to make it work?
i'm sure the final answer will be an amusing one. ;) :up
?And hopefully we'll get pictures.

$150 crazy low money for even a simple C-band service call. The infamous Can of Worms job - "should only take a few minutes"..... Kinda reminds me of the auto mechanics shop sign.

Labor Rate:
$85 per hour - Technician diagnose and repair
$125 per hour - Customer diagnosed and attempted repair

LOL!!! :)

Maybe so, but some people here do these things out of kindness or other motivations and would wave the fee entirely under the right circumstances. We don't know the situation.

Maybe so, but some people here do these things out of kindness or other motivations and would wave the fee entirely under the right circumstances. We don't know the situation.

Have to agree with you. Money hungry installers are just like car mechanics ripping off folks.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Since the input on the ad has been pure speculation, I just added my two cents as a skilled technician with overhead costs. Since this ad was on Craigslist and offering $$$, one would assume that they are looking to pay someone to complete a job ....in other words, a contractor. Not all technicians are money hungry rip-offs!

I agree that many of us volunteer many hours of labor for the love of the hobby. Running the development and sales end of the business for the past 12+ years, I have donated several hundred hours of free satellite assistance rather than charge $$$ and contract. Personally, I would rather waive the $150 to help someone in need or to teach a new hobbyist some new tricks and skills than to put in three - five hours with potential of warranty and future support... :D

Instead of bringing you a salmon, I will teach you to fish! Just hand me a soda, maybe some gas money for the gas hungry F-350 and the handful of compression fittings! :D

Last edited:
people who want something for nothing are just stupid, guess they work for for free. remember to give your check back to your boss tell him thanks but no thanks i work for free .....:rolleyes:

I asked my local hobby satellite shop one time if he or anybody he knew installed C-band systems for a fee. He said everybody he knew in the area stopped because end users would no longer pay a reasonable fee for the job. Much of the public has been trained to expect almost free installations as a result of subscription TV promotions (either free or $50 token payments per job). In this area where many still live in situations that would allow BUDs, apart from lack of knowledge that BUDs can even be used anymore, this installation aspect is a show-stopper. And I've been told subscription TV shops are contractually prohibited by subscription TV companies from installing FTA systems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts