would you change the OT system for the NFL?

would you change the OT system for the NFL?

• I'm fine with the current system

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • I would adapt the college system

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I would allow a 2nd OT

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Instead of sudden death I would allow an extra quarter of play

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
you could also use the pats/jets game here. if your team had the momentum but a coin toss would probably determine the winner,would you change it then?

After 2 teams play 60 minutes to a tie, there is a major unfair advantage given to one simply due to a toss of a coin. I feel that both teams are entitled to at least 1 offensive turn with the ball. So, if the winner of the toss scores, the other gets a kick off, and a chance to re-tie or go ahead. They should play under these rules for an entire quarter IMO.

After 2 teams play 60 minutes to a tie, there is a major unfair advantage given to one simply due to a toss of a coin. I feel that both teams are entitled to at least 1 offensive turn with the ball. So, if the winner of the toss scores, the other gets a kick off, and a chance to re-tie or go ahead. They should play under these rules for an entire quarter IMO.

I agree 100%. I can't believe the NFL still has sudden death and a coin toss. Its crazy.

I don't think they need an entire quarter, but they each need the same number of possession. I say adopt the college OT system.

I concur. :up

I have no problem with the coin toss,but I do think that both teams should get the ball once. If you win the toss and score, kick-off and defend your endzone. They don't score, you win. Nobody scores for the period it's a tie.

I would go with the NCAA system. The only change I would make is to have the teams start on the opponents 30 yd. line (going in), so early field goal attempts aren't a chip shot.

It's fair in that both teams get a chance, and this method has definitely produced some exciting finishes over the years...

in a playoff there can never be a tie so from what i understand you would keep on playing until someone scores.

Has this happened in the playoffs? What would they do if it did?

from the nfl web site:

If an NFL game is tied after four quarters, the teams play an additional period lasting up to 15 minutes. In an NFL overtime game, the first team that scores wins, even if the other team does not get a possession; this is referred to as sudden death. In a regular-season NFL game, if neither team scores in overtime, the game is a tie. In an NFL playoff game, additional overtime periods are played, as needed, to determine a winner.

from the nfl web site:

If an NFL game is tied after four quarters, the teams play an additional period lasting up to 15 minutes. In an NFL overtime game, the first team that scores wins, even if the other team does not get a possession; this is referred to as sudden death. In a regular-season NFL game, if neither team scores in overtime, the game is a tie. In an NFL playoff game, additional overtime periods are played, as needed, to determine a winner.

Thanks, Rey. Has this happened in the playoffs? I don't recall any game going past an additional quarter.

Thanks, Rey. Has this happened in the playoffs? I don't recall any game going past an additional quarter.
Yes, it's happened 5 times.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtime_%28sport[/ame])

In the regular season, if the overtime period is completed without either side scoring, the game ends in a tie. Because there cannot be a tie in the playoffs, the teams switch ends of the field and start an additional 15-minute overtime period. Five playoff games have gone into a second overtime,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)