would you change the OT system for the NFL?

would you change the OT system for the NFL?

• I'm fine with the current system

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • I would adapt the college system

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I would allow a 2nd OT

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Instead of sudden death I would allow an extra quarter of play

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting though that there is OVERWHELMING support to change the OT rules to at least allow BOTH teams at least one shot at scoring.

I wonder if the NFL has ever taken a similar survey.

You really wanted to see more play of that caliber? I think they should have called it after three quarters and brought out two high school teams.

you could tell on their faces that even they wanted to get the hell out of there.

do it like the CFL does

-each team gets a possession from the 35 yd line
-if tied after one "round" they do a 2nd "round"
-if after 2 "mini-games" score is tied then its a tie

I hate that "after 2 rounds then you have to go for 2" thing that college does

Screw it up like soccer and hockey. Each team's kicker kicks a field goal from the 20. If only one kicker gets it, his team wins. If they both make it, add 5 years. If they both miss it, do it from the same spot. Keep repeating until someone wins.

I wonder if the NFL has ever taken a similar survey.
I don't think they care. They want to keep the game as short as possible, which sudden death does.
I heard once of a study that shows the team that wins the toss wins about half the time. So since it's only half, the NFL probably thinks it's fair.

Ok, well your stats differ from mine in that the ones I found had over 60% of the teams that won the toss win the game, but that isn't the point. The point is the inherent inbalance in having a system that allows the possibility of a team losing without touching the ball.

Ok, well your stats differ from mine in that the ones I found had over 60% of the teams that won the toss win the game, but that isn't the point. The point is the inherent inbalance in having a system that allows the possibility of a team losing without touching the ball.
I agree, that's why I voted for the college system.

Like Baseball it should go untill someone wins. Eagles Played like sh*t yesterday. Time for a change.

What the heck kind of a post is that? So the Eagles played a bad game, and that's the reason why we need extra overtime? :confused:

It's funny how everyone says the Eagles played like crap. Maybe the other team played a good game.

I would say the Eagles would have done a whole lot better if the other team didn't show up at all. :rolleyes:

I would go with the NCAA system. The only change I would make is to have the teams start on the opponents 30 yd. line (going in), so early field goal attempts aren't a chip shot.

It's fair in that both teams get a chance, and this method has definitely produced some exciting finishes over the years...

No, that would still be a "chip shot" for NFL kickers. Jason Hansen of the LIONS has 6 FG's over 50 yds. this season. 6 for 6, on top of that. And he's old. If were going that route, we might as well have a "kick out" like the NHL's "shoot out". Give each side at least one touch, that's all I'm asking.

I think it should stay the way it is. These guys are suppose to be professionals. I think they could play with a little more urgency during the first 4 quarters and avoid OT. Just my 2 cents.

I found it interesting (funny) that Donovan McNabb didn't know there wasn't a second OT.

I found it interesting (funny) that Donovan McNabb didn't know there wasn't a second OT.

Funny you bring this up again Paul. I was listening to the "Sirius Blitz" on my lunch break and they had on LB, Danny Clark from the NY Giants. They asked him whether he knew if an NFL game could end in a tie. His response: "No, I honestly didn't know that." He then went onto say that he believes that aproximately 90% of the league didn't realize this could happen either!!!! :eek:

WTF! Needless to say, the Sirius broadcasters were absolutely stunned and so am I!

And he's been in the NFL for how long?:rolleyes::eek:

honestly i would've kept that kind of thing to myself if i was McNabb. do you see him there after the season is done or do you think this was another nail in the coffin for donovan?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)