would you like local channels by satellite on Voom?

I understand alot of people not wanting to use the bandwidth for locals and all, but I feel that the HD on local ch's is some of the best programming out there. I mean look at cbs...and ABC...now Fox with the football. There are tons of HD on the local ch's...actually there is more HD on the locals thats worth watching than a majority of the ALL HD ch's that we have with VOOM right now. So is it really a waste?

vinnyv07 said:
I understand alot of people not wanting to use the bandwidth for locals and all, but I feel that the HD on local ch's is some of the best programming out there. I mean look at cbs...and ABC...now Fox with the football. There are tons of HD on the local ch's...actually there is more HD on the locals thats worth watching than a majority of the ALL HD ch's that we have with VOOM right now. So is it really a waste?
I think if just the NY and LA network feeds were carried, that'd be fine. That would only be 8 HD channels, and with wm9/mpeg4 that's OK. It would give locals to people in LA, NY, white areas, and all the O & Os.

If all of us could get distant feeds, I'd be happy. But a majority of customers would not be allowed to get these feeds. And it's impractical to try to do LIL with all the HD channels in the country. It's hard to get people to say "sure Voom, use a scarce (bandwidth: if it isn't now, someday it will be) commodity on a bunch of channels I couldn't watch even if I wanted to."

As I mentioned before, I'd love a UPN-HD feed. Many more people qualify for Superstations than for distant networks, so I think it's practical. I live in an area where our UPN and WB are so low power you can barely receive the analog signal, and there isn't a digital tower. If you want them, you have to get cable.

cyuhnke said:
I'd love a UPN-HD feed. Many more people qualify for Superstations than for distant networks, so I think it's practical. I live in an area where our UPN and WB are so low power you can barely receive the analog signal, and there isn't a digital tower. If you want them, you have to get cable.
Yep...thats me. Im getting UPN, but not the UPN-HD.....and forget about the WB. So low power that I cant get it. No digital tower in NY but we are due to get a combiner which would combine all of our local ch's at higher power...so all of us could get a sig on them. But the bad news is that it has been delayed and will be delayed again. Who knows when it will be completed.

thanks to the mod that put up the poll for me!!!! (Sean Mota?)
If you have not voted yet-PLEASE VOTE NOW!
thanks to everyone who has already voted!

109 votes out of 22,000+ subscribers is not very representative. I don't know how useful this poll will be to VOOM. But it will be very useful to me as long as they do what I voted for! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you start out with LIL you can't quit until every little Podunk's station is up, I think. That's why the little-dish companies can't get any HDTV up: their spare bandwidth is being eaten up by the LIL requirements.

LOL, most of the people voting that network locals are a waste of space are mostly likely the same people that are getting them OTA. A LOT of people in the mountain areas can not get locals.

Adding the most popular national east/west feeds is the answer, and is NOT a waste of space. I qualify for distant locals today, and only having CBS-HD on there is ridiculous when LA and NY are broadcasting all networks in HD and are not available on sat....yet.

Add east/west feeds please...

WE NEED YOUR VOTE! I want this poll to be as acturate as possible. we need more votes! please vote now!

mini1 said:
WE NEED YOUR VOTE! I want this poll to be as acturate as possible. we need more votes! please vote now!

Translated=I need your votes to prop up DirecTV and slam Voom as I usually do!

Voom, now and the future, Rupert TV- Hosted by Fox aka the Republican News Network (we have bagged the FCC, it's how they approved the merger).

I agree Seawaves. That could be the only reason for this. OTA is an integral part of Voom's business plan. I went went voom in large part because they were not going to waste bandwidth with locals. My question to Mr Mini is, just where do you think capacity exists for thousands of locals?

It would make all the SD have a completely static picture (like a placeholder) and the HD channels have a one frame update every five minutes, even if it were mathematically possible. FCC prevents carriage of a single (generally available) network feed per network. Local into Local killed the other DBS systems, don't let it kill Voom.

vurbano said:
I agree Seawaves. That could be the only reason for this. OTA is an integral part of Voom's business plan. I went went voom in large part because they were not going to waste bandwidth with locals. My question to Mr Mini is, just where do you think capacity exists for thousands of locals?

Vurb-

My hope is the networks will invest in more antennas and amps and that will only help Voom with locals. If Mini would pull his head out of his DTV blindness he'd read the polling (by real pollsters) that show network viewership has died and folks like us are watching the "other" channels, HD, SD but far more than ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. Those days have died!

Mini- If your boy Rupert wants to waste his money on locals for every square inch of the US- great!

The rest of us, will be watching Voom!

rudolpht said:
FCC prevents carriage of a single (generally available) network feed per network. Local into Local killed the other DBS systems, don't let it kill Voom.

This is what I always understood to be the problem, as well.

Polls like this only lead to more misinformation -- because they give people the mistaken notion that it's even POSSIBLE to provide HD network feeds via satellite.

The cable companies and local stations banded together to make sure that wouldn't happen.

I don't think Voom, Dish Network and DirecTV *combined* would have the bandwidth for HD LIL (although I could be wrong on that). No matter what, LIL is a stuuuuuupid idea that punishes consumers.

Satellites should always be allowed to carry a national network feed. If the locals don't like it, maybe they could actually try and *broadcast* for a change. Most local stations haven't bothered doing anything to improve their signal for thirty years -- because cable has removed the necessity of doing so.

shadow_keeper said:
LOL, most of the people voting that network locals are a waste of space are mostly likely the same people that are getting them OTA. A LOT of people in the mountain areas can not get locals.

I don't get ABC because it is too weak (not because it is temporarily at low-power, it is at it's licensed power which was too low and now we are waiting on them to upgrade). I also don't get UPN because the station hasn't been built yet (still waiting on FCC aproval).

I receive CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, & WB. I don't want to see locals uplinked on VOOM either and I'm missing a few nets!!

So people are missing some nets, it's no big deal. It's not the end of the world. Does anyone think people with only OTA go around complaining because they are missing a network? No, they don't, they really don't care, and watch what they get.

Just because a network is "National" doesn't mean me or anyone else is entitled to it. Telemundo, Univision, and PAX are national networks too. I've never heard anyone complain because they can't get them. Personally it would be nice if I could receive a PAX station (nearest is 90 miles away), but I'm not going to moan and complain like a spoiled little brat because I don't have PAX.

Perhaps it is only people like myself that has always had OTA that don't care if they have a full slate of the 10 broadcast networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)