Would you like the sports pack with HD standalone??

csmk6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Who out there would like the avalibility to add the $5.99 sports pack with your HD standalone package? I know that I sure would. I mean if I am willing to pay for it why can't I have it? My RSN is broadcast in HD so why can't I have it since I pay for the HD standalone programming? It is frustrating that this is not possible. What are your thoughts? I am curious.

42 inch Samsung Plasma
Yamaha HTR 5460
Klipsch sub
Bose surround

It is a conscious business decision by dish. If they did that they realize they would lose a large portion of their HD people subscribed to their AT packages. By doing this they keep people at $60 a month instead of $30.

I'd pay the $6/month for it if I could. But I'm not gonna pay $40/month more to get it back with the AT-250 package.

So once again we have to pay for stuff we don't watch? I guess all tv outlets are the same. I hope there comes a time when we can choose the channels we really want to watch instead of being forced to have channels we will never watch.

So once again we have to pay for stuff we don't watch? I guess all tv outlets are the same. I hope there comes a time when we can choose the channels we really want to watch instead of being forced to have channels we will never watch.

I think most of us would love a-la-carte programming... but 3/4 of the stations would not have enough viewers and would be out of business in no time.

I would like the multisport with the HD standalone. This question would make for a good poll.

I kinda doubt it would be much of a poll.....would be like 99% vs the other 1% who wouldn't want it.

Let me put it like this. I just paid 110 bucks to mlb.tv for a crappy looking baseball game.

I would happily pay the 5.99/mo instead for HD stuff OR if they had the MLB package on dish I would do that.

Who out there would like the avalibility to add the $5.99 sports pack with your HD standalone package? I know that I sure would. I mean if I am willing to pay for it why can't I have it? My RSN is broadcast in HD so why can't I have it since I pay for the HD standalone programming? It is frustrating that this is not possible. What are your thoughts? I am curious.

42 inch Samsung Plasma
Yamaha HTR 5460
Klipsch sub
Bose surround

Here's what I posted earlier today before this thread opened:

This may be of interest to some others as well. I just sent the following to CEO @ Echostar:

CEO:

I've been with y'all for close to ten years and I've reached a dilemma that just doesn't make any sense with regard to programming. First, let me say that I'm delighted you added the new HD programming and that I had a CSR last night that was wonderful and tried to assist me for a long time, but to no avail. Here is my current programming and charges with rounding:

Top 100+ @ $40
3 Premiums (HBO, Cinemax, and Starz) @ $30
HD Ultimate @ $20
Regional Sports Nationwide(multi) @ $6
1 DVR Fee @ $6
3 Additional Receivers @ $21
Total (w/o taxes and including rounding): $123/mo.

My problem with the current programming is that for example I get Bravo in SD and not in HD in spite of the fact that all other SD programming in the top 100+ is mirrored in HD through the HD Ultimate. In addition, I don't get Hallmark HD, NFL HD, NTGEO HD, TENNIS HD, TDIS HD, BIO HD, VS/GF HD, ANIML HD, AND SCIEN HD unless I upgrade to a 250 package with a whole bunch of SD programming I don't want!!!!!! So I went deep into the options and this is what I want that will accomodate me:

Dish HD Standalone @ $29.95 ($30 with rounding)
4 Premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, and the addition of Showtime) @ $40
Regional Sports Nationwide (multi) @ $6
2 DVR fee @ $12
3 Additional receiver fee @ $21
No locals as I have an outside antenna @ $0
Total: $109

In an effort to do this the CSR tried several times, but kept getting blocked when trying to add the $6 Regional Sports Nationwide (multi). That is a deal breaker for me. It makes no sense because you permit the premiums to be added to the standalone HD package which gives me them in HD (whatever content they are transmitting in HD), but doesn't allow the same for the regional sports which also has some content in HD. My loyalty is not getting rewarded! I have resisted switching to Directv when they offered more HD, but I'm getting tested again. I invested in three satellite antennae ( one aimed at 61.5, one aimed at 110/119, and one aimed at 129) so that I could get all regional sports both in SD and HD (when broadcast). Additionally, I have broadband connection on my two 722's. The other two receivers are 211's. The 722's have 750 GB storage devices attached to them.

I hereby authorize you to give me the package I want (noted above) if you can make it happen. Please let me know the outcome.

First of all, I don't think adding the sports package($5.99) will ever be possible without access to your local RSN. What they would need to do is something similar to the Top 100/Top 100+

DishHD 29.99 monthly
DishHD+ 34.99 monthly W/your local RSN

Also add $5.00 for locals where applicable. That would mean $10.99 a month for your local RSN and the sports package if you choose. That I would take in a heartbeat!

First of all, I don't think adding the sports package($5.99) will ever be possible without access to your local RSN. What they would need to do is something similar to the Top 100/Top 100+

DishHD 29.99 monthly
DishHD+ 34.99 monthly W/your local RSN

Also add $5.00 for locals where applicable. That would mean $10.99 a month for your local RSN and the sports package if you choose. That I would take in a heartbeat!

You would get your local RSN in the $5.99 fee to begin with, but I would be glad to make it at most a $9.99 fee similar to the addition of a premium channel which is allowed, but don't force me to buy an SD 100, 200, or 250 package. If you notice in my earlier post the net total I proposed for my programming in this concept is very close to what I'm forced to pay now for less HD programming. If you allow premiums that bring HD content then why not RSN's that do the same thing in an HD Standalone Package....the exceptions in their programming does not make sense!

Is there a technical reason that this can't happen? Or is it simply a business decision? I would love to drop to the HD Only pack if I could get the Multisport Pack and the BTN. I live in Iowa and can't live without the BTN for the Hawkeyes and FSN North to watch the Twins.

I've talked to Dish over and over about this. They say it is a contractual issue. I try almost weekly to add the multi-sport pack. I've even had some CSRs add it and tell me it is there. I'll go and check my programming and it is not there. I call back and they say it wasn't added and can't be added. The CSRs have no clue. Dish could make money on this yet they refuse to listen.

I've talked to Dish over and over about this. They say it is a contractual issue. I try almost weekly to add the multi-sport pack. I've even had some CSRs add it and tell me it is there. I'll go and check my programming and it is not there. I call back and they say it wasn't added and can't be added. The CSRs have no clue. Dish could make money on this yet they refuse to listen.

Good for you! Now you have a partner....I'll keep slamming them as well!

Yep, if i could get FSN North i would be switching the day they add SpikeHD, my wife will be very upset if i got rid of Spike during the Ultimate Fighter season... she may even test out some Jujitsu moves on me...

Its funny, she always wants me to spend LESS onthe TV/electronics stuff, but when i propose a way to do it, that effects what SHE watches.. she says that we can easily afford to pay what we are now.. lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can subscribe to the $5.99 sports package with the Family package or AT100 package. If you compare the AT100 and AT100+ you realize that you are paying an extra $5.00 for your regional sports network. Am I wrong?

According to Dishfolks the + in 100 is for locals and that silly package allows me to get the RSN's for $5.99. If I told them to drop it to just 100 I cannot get RSN's....ever hear of anything so ridiculous.....my counter to that in my discussions with them is to drop my 100+ and I'll be glad to pay $10 or so for the RSN's with HD Standalone and the premiums I choose...I have already told them I don't need locals because I have an outside antenna.

In essence you are paying $10 more for the 100+ over the 100 so they can collect money for the local tv stations and your regional RSN. Hence my rationale that I would be willing to pay $10 for multi, nationwide RSN's with the HD Standalone and I would not need locals....I think that would be fair.