Would you like the sports pack with HD standalone??

What you guys are missing is that sports is most of the programming cost on cable and satellite .

Notice that most of the movies are on subscription packages, and most of the weekly TV programs are on the broadcast networks that make their revenue from advertising.

All of the rest is mostly sports.

And the sports charge the TV channels and providers more and more, and require more and more restrictions.

Ever tried to understand the Blackout Rules ? Even Einstein could not make sense of it.

The RSNs are paid for by the cable and satellite providers, not advertising. This is the main reason why YES is not on Dish Network - they just want too much money.

In order to include the RSNs in HD standalone:

- E* would have to charge way more than $5
- E* would have to renegotiate all their RSN contracts all over again (because it currently states that subscribers must have AT100).
- E* would end up with a net price increase for everyone because the new prices would be even more than the existing contracts.

Furthermore, the point of the HD-Only package is for people who only watch HD.

Channels that are not in HD are not included.

The RSNs are not in HD, so conceptually they are not included.

If Dish included your SD RSN, then they would be giving you an SD-only channel .

Yes, there are HD RSN channels, but they are not really the same channels as the SD RSN channels - they only carry selected programming, and not all SD RSNs have an equivalent HD channel.

And before anyone says "But I get SD Locals that don't have an HD equivalent", note that that is required by Federal Law ("must carry" laws).

I agree with the rest of you. The only SD channels I watch is Fox Soccer Channel and Setanta. Once in a while I watch GolTV. I did like the Spanish Premiera on World Sport HD until Charlie decided to add great HD channels like WFN.

Basically it has gotten to a point where the general programming that I watch is now in HD. My main sport is English soccer, so if I could scrap the AT 250 and keep Fox Soccer Channel as an ala cart channel, like Setanta, and keep all of the HD channels, I would in a heart beat.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of way to do this? If I spoke to the right person in the correct cubicle and tell them I will switch to *D and get their HD line-up plus Sports, would they make an exception for me? Is it possible to let some subs do such a thing, or are they restircting by software? Or does anyone know when FSC and Setanta will be going HD?

What you guys are missing is that sports is most of the programming cost on cable and satellite .

Notice that most of the movies are on subscription packages, and most of the weekly TV programs are on the broadcast networks that make their revenue from advertising.

And the sports charge the TV channels and providers more and more, and require more and more restrictions.

Ever tried to understand the Blackout Rules ? Even Einstein could not make sense of it.

The RSNs are paid for by the cable and satellite providers, not advertising. This is the main reason why YES is not on Dish Network - they just want too much money.

- E* would have to renegotiate all their RSN contracts all over again (because it currently states that subscribers must have AT100).
- E* would end up with a net price increase for everyone because the new prices would be even more than the existing contracts.

If Dish included your SD RSN, then they would be giving you an SD-only channel .

Yes, there are HD RSN channels, but they are not really the same channels as the SD RSN channels - they only carry selected programming, and not all SD RSNs have an equivalent HD channel.

And before anyone says "But I get SD Locals that don't have an HD equivalent", note that that is required by Federal Law ("must carry" laws).

:up You made an excellent presentation on the situation......as frustrating as it may be. I can live without my RSN, but I would like the sports package to get the Big Ten Network(Which also has extensive HD sports programming) I just wish they would have not treated the channel as another regional sports channel.

Setanta has quote no plans for HD of any kind unquote.

FSC has quote plans for HD in the near future unquote.

No one knows what that means - best guess is PPV HD matches.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of way to do this? If I spoke to the right person in the correct cubicle and tell them I will switch to *D and get their HD line-up plus Sports, would they make an exception for me? Is it possible to let some subs do such a thing, or are they restircting by software? Or does anyone know when FSC and Setanta will be going HD?

There is no inexpensive option for FSC.

E* requires AT250 which is $55 monthly

My cable company requires the plus package which is (drumroll) $55 (but no Setanta option so not as good).

D* requires Sports Pack which is $12 and minimum package is $30 = $42 (but that's far smaller package than AT250 with no local RSN - equivalent to AT250 is Xtra for $58 + $12 Sports Pack = $70 versus AT250+DishMultiSports+Locals = $66)

All require $10 monthly for HD and $6+ for DVR monthly.

Setanta is $15 from either if you have a basic package. Globestar has Setanta a la carte for $15 but no equipment deals - so upfront cost of ~$200 and no DVR (you'll have to program a VCR).

If you are on a budget, you need to watch US teams. :D

PS Are you actually a call screener ?

Thanks for the info, this saves me a lot of work. It looks like I will stick with *E and hope that FSC switches to an HD feed and that *E adds it to it's HD package. Then I can drop the AT-250 and keep Setanta.

No, I am not a call screener. Is there a joke that I missed?

Thanks for the info, this saves me a lot of work. It looks like I will stick with *E and hope that FSC switches to an HD feed and that *E adds it to it's HD package. Then I can drop the AT-250 and keep Setanta.

No, I am not a call screener. Is there a joke that I missed?

I was interested in the same issues and decided to investigate the details.

In the meanwhile, we will get Manchester United vs. Chelsea in Full High Def on ESPN2-HD on Wednesday. Pre-Game at 2:00pm EDT.

Not a joke... there is a famous call screener :

James Golden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have good news on this issue(RSN's) and on Cinemax for $.01. Do not believe for a second that RSN's are embedded for cost or contract purposes or that you can't get Cinemax for $.01 and get all HD that is available. I have been a customer with Dish for over 10 years and as I reported in earlier posts in this thread I would call them personally regardless of the e-mail to the CEO @ Echostar. The reason I stuck with them is customer service. W/o going into details let me say I spoke to their higher level customer service and have achieved what I wanted for the price I wanted. These folks work with you and for that reason they will continue to have me as a customer as long as they are in business.

I have good news on this issue(RSN's) and on Cinemax for $.01. Do not believe for a second that RSN's are embedded for cost or contract purposes or that you can't get Cinemax for $.01 and get all HD that is available. I have been a customer with Dish for over 10 years and as I reported in earlier posts in this thread I would call them personally regardless of the e-mail to the CEO @ Echostar. The reason I stuck with them is customer service. W/o going into details let me say I spoke to their higher level customer service and have achieved what I wanted for the price I wanted. These folks work with you and for that reason they will continue to have me as a customer as long as they are in business.

Can you elaborate? What did you ask for(and got) and what did it cost? Do have a contact name of somebody who has been helpful to you?

Can you elaborate? What did you ask for(and got) and what did it cost? Do have a contact name of somebody who has been helpful to you?

Send me a PM with some info(programming), length of committment(like 2yrs.,etc) and tenure on your account...I don't need specifics like your name and amount you pay, but I can offer an approach.

I was interested in the same issues and decided to investigate the details.

In the meanwhile, we will get Manchester United vs. Chelsea in Full High Def on ESPN2-HD on Wednesday. Pre-Game at 2:00pm EDT.

Not a joke... there is a famous call screener :

James Golden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am very excited for the CL Final in HD. I am sorry, I should have been quicker, I normally am. I was thinking you meant a call screener for Dish for some reason. While Bo Snerdley is one of my heroes, I am not him, although I am named after him. And to think I am a Rush 24/7 subscriber and I still didn't get your joke!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)