Would you switch to Fios ?

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
Just got the note on my door that fios is live here. Right now i have Dish with a 722/211 And Comcast for HSI

How many of you would switch to Fios ?

I would switch from my current DSL 8mbps net to their net of 15mbps or higher, but I would stay with my DBS service (DirecTV)

We are switching to FiOS TV when we move. We will hate to rid of our 622s, but they offer the best video service, quality and pricing of the major providers. Of course, we'll have to get a couple Series 3/Tivo HD DVS since I can't stand Verizon's Motorola receivers. Additionally, it will be a job to finally get off of Adelphia/Comcast's horrible broadband service.

If they were in the neighborhood...

Just got the note on my door that fios is live here. Right now i have Dish with a 722/211 And Comcast for HSI

How many of you would switch to Fios ?

I very likely would, but they need to get their HD house in order. For a service that is reputed to have nearly unlimited bandwidth, they have not been quick to add new channels.

FiOS should be available on my street right about the time my 18 month Dish'n It Up promo commitment ends in October of next year. As of now I would be more likely to lease another HD box from Dish than to go with FiOS. Don't really need all that data bandwidth and I am happy with the value and channel lineup from Dish. The only way I would switch to FiOS TV is if I could get a really good deal on some TiVo Series 3 HD boxes. Not interested in the Motorola STBs that Verizon offers.

Internet - YES
TV - NO

Had the TV, and there are a few issues with it. Sounds like satellite is the way to go for HD right now. Plus their DVR is horrible, but the service will work with Tivo HD.

As for the internet, I have 15/2 and no problems at all. Lately their news server has been having a lot of incompletes, and that is my only complaint.

Oh, and billing is a nightmare as well. I returned 3 TV boxes, but they still have me has only returning 1.

-John

I'll chime in with the others.

Given the option, I'd shift to Fios for broadband and voice. I wouldn't even consider their video service until they have a DVR at least as good as the ViP622 I now have. And yes, with two tuners minimum. I don't consider the HD Tivo as equivalent.

The billing has been a bit hard to sort out but, I've been very pleased with the service. I have tv, phone, internet (5/2) through FiOS. I have had no problems with the DVR, but from what I read, I'm not supposed to be pleased with the FiOS DVR. It works fine for me.....but I'm too busy to watch most of what I DVR anyway, so maybe mine isn't the best opinion. Picture quality is peerless....at least on SD channels. I can't say that HD PQ is any better or worse than what I had with comcastsucks....it's brilliant overall.

I like that I get my hd locals, which, with D* we won't have in Richmond, VA anytime soon.....at least not until the TV fad wears off. Have fun choosing.

TV - NO
Internet - YES

TV
Im sticking it out with their TV but am not happy at all. The set top box and guide is horrible and I thank god I never got the DVR.
-NO RF remote (and this IR remote must point almost directly at the box)
-NO Favorites guide (that works since they broke it with the software upgrd)
-NO HD PPV
-NO HD VOD
-NO clear QAM HD (come on gimme locals in HD, I dont want another STB)
-NO user controls to DIM or turn off ugly amber clock/chnl display
-NO interest from VZ in making their STB acceptable for any theater environment
-NOT keeping up with HD offerings from DirecTV or Dish.

Internet
-I only pay for the minimal FiOS internet and its good. I wish I had the $$$ to step it up to the next faster speed to see if that helps some gaming issues I have.

CUST SERVICE-
the worst telephone automated operator ever! all they need is Press 1 for FiOS TV/INT/TELE support Press 2 for FiOS TV/INT/TELE billing, Press 3 to start, stop or add FiOS TV/INT/TELE service, Press 0 for operator. I hope somebody recorded some of my phone calls to VZ while I tried to get the automated operator to do get me to the right dept.

TV- No, I have Sunday Ticket+ Superfan, plus the best sports channels out there, no way I would switch to FiOS unless they get all of the channels DirecTV has.

FiOS Internet- God yes, please.

I have Telephone thru charter, I think they are decent so I will stay with them 14.99$ a month for unlimited long distance nationwide calls + callerID+ CallWaiting and VoiceMail for 12 months, great savings.

TV? Not right now due to the lack of channels that both D* & E* carry.
Phone? No, because I primarily use cell for voice and Vonage for $15.00/month.
Internet? Yes, if it were as rock solid dependable as my Cox 12/1 service (which I've seen it "powerboost" up to about 23Mb down).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts