WOW!! 15 yrs later...Me and Dish!!

'97DISH*user

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
I'm HERE!!!!
I signed up with Dish Network for their Top 40 package on Jan 27, 1997. Dish had WGN TV on that package and I had to have that as several cable companies were dropping WGN from their line up.

Still have my original reciever Model 3000(?) and use that on tv two in the bedroom these days.

I keep the signal on with the Welcome Pack and still enjoy the service.

I should be getting a slice of cake in the mail...soon!!

:)

I signed up with Dish Network for their Top 40 package on Jan 27, 1997. Dish had WGN TV on that package and I had to have that as several cable companies were dropping WGN from their line up.

Still have my original reciever Model 3000(?) and use that on tv two in the bedroom these days.

I have had dish network a long time too. I have a model 3000 still but I don't use it. I also have a 501 DVR that I don't use.

They can send me a slice of cake too. :)
When I got dish network I had to buy my receivers and pay to get it installed. :) Can't remember what package I had but it had all the super stations included in it.
Later,

john

Now your not sleeping with the DISH? are you?.:eek::eek::D

Been with Dish a long time too, switched from DirecTV when Dish launched their second bird. Just cleaned out my basement and sent to the re-cycle place: two JVC branded Dish receivers bought at Sears, a Dish 1000, a Dish 4000, a Dish 5000 with Dolby adapter, two Dish 501s, a Dish 508, a Dish 811, a Dish 2700, an Expressview 2800 and a Replay 2000 and a dozen different dishes plus LNBs. Soon hope to switch from two 622s to a Hopper & Joeys.

I got Dish in Sept. 1996. I also had Model 3000. I remember I had America's Top 40 I remember they just had KTLA and WGN I think they added KWGN and WWOR and WSBK in 97 I think. I remember having west coast feeds too. Before that I had Primestar leased through Cox in May of 1995 it was my graduate gift.

Chris

Over 15 for me too! Remember when they launched the second satellite -I stayed up half the night to try to see stations start showing up (don't remember if I saw them come on, but I was excited!). Dish put cable in my area to shame - between and aerial and Dish, I had everything I wanted to watch (including "NBC America ... via satellite").

Got you beat by a few days . I reached 15 years on the 18th of this month. Plan on staying another 15 , if all works out and the sports free packs ever see the light of day. That is the only way I can see DISH keeping the programming cost down.

I don't know exactly how long I've been on Dish, but it's been a LONG time (probably not quite 15 years though). I'm actually still USING one of my original 4900's in our guest bedroom (it's reliable, stable, and easy to use for the in-laws when they're visiting :) )

I still have the invoice and brochure from 6/2/97 when I contracted for service, so that's over 14 years ago. Inside the brochure it shows America's Top 40 package only $19.99 per month. Many of the posts here have been from people with problems. It's nice to see there are some really long term subscribers here.

I first got Dish in 1998. I believe I had a 3000. But, I also recall a model 2700?

I bought all the stuff, and did the install myself. IIRC, my original dish only pointed to 119. I believe I upgraded to a Dish 500 a little later. I also added a wing dish for 61.5, which IIRC was for HBO or some other special programming. I was lucky to have LOS from CA. I don't believe 148 was available yet.

I started in December of '98. I got both LA and New York locals! I loved being able to watch network shows beginning at 5PM, Pacific time. Now, with DVRs, all that doesn't matter....

We went to DISH about the same time, and for the same reason. Our daughter was going to go to Northwestern, and we wanted access to Chicago-area news/weather, so we needed WGN. Also started with the old 3000, a real workhorse. Was really happy when DISH came out with their DVR, had been using TiVo, what a clunky interface, having to use the IR blaster and black tape over the DISH receiver "eye" to prevent IR drift. Good times........

I'm not sure of the year, but it was very close to the beginning. I remember it being a package deal. Dish, receiver, and first year of programming included. Don't have the original receiver around, but I do have a 5000 in the attic that I had to modify to accept an IR remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)