Wow, E* just made Comcast very competative

Comcast's monthly prices for me would be ~$40 or so more each month since I have 4 Dish DVRs. That and the fact they don't have UHF remotes. I have a couple centrally located in the house.

I got a comcast deal which was supposedly for the sat dish owners. (even though flyer said I was supposed turn over the dish equipment, technician did not ask any)

With the deal, I get HBO+HD DVR+expanded basic for around $50 (first 12 months). In comparision, I had to go through so many begging emails with ceo@dish and nothing happend (mind you for getting a 942 dvr with 250 upfront and $5 monthly charges). Also, a similar package with dish would cost $70 + 250$ upfront cost, Ohh I forgot you'll get this only if the gods at ceo@dish wants to keep you otherwise add another $400 to get the 942 from local retailers (who dont care if you are an existing customer).

I am not a heavy tv watcher, all I wanted was to record HD programs to watch in my liesure on my newly purchased HD tv. Moto box 6412 has some glitches, I definitely dont like the user interface of their box or the system. But, hey it just works for me so far. I do miss some of the south asian channels that does not come on comcast, but I will probably keep dish just for that if required (I have disconnected for now, will reconnect when I feel the need).
Analog channels dont have good quality, but that's ok, I dont watch most of them.
I was pretty pissed off with the comcast installation service as whoever came for installation did not seemed like was really caring that much (putting the non dvr remote with dvr box and vice versa, remotes were not clean, not providing me with the manual to put in the proper TV codes or other equipment codes etc).
In the overall sense, I would still love to get a 942, but given the fact that it is going to be obsolete + upfront cost + exclusiveness in getting one makes it not worth when compared to what I get from comcast.

Overall -ve of Comcast (so far observed)
- Less HD channels ( TNT HD and ESPN2 is what matters, I think western region dont have TNT HD yet), At the end of the day you want to watch prime time serials in HD and HD sports that's it.
- Remote is not all that great and general UI of remote+box sucks(of hiding the unsubscribed channels)
- Service is lot to be desired.
- HD DVR has glitches and small hard drive (but for my reqirement it is enough)
- Local franchise fee + tax
- Quality of some of the channels
- Closed caption (yes, it is an adventure to make it work when you use the STB)
- Less number of international channels, no international sports (cricket)

Positives:
+ No upfront cost
+ no contract
+ Free On Demand movies (only 1 or 2 is watchable)
+ HD locals through the same box
+ If required, can hook up one more tv to just get the analog channels (not worthy of mentioning!!)

Last edited:
chipvideo said:
It is too bad. I would rather stay with dish as I have always liked dish, but dish is going the route of the more channels is better theory. I want quality programming at a quality picture rate, so comcast is the leader in my area. I can't wait til the other technology comes around. FIBER in iptv is going to really be good for us who love the quality. I still won't give up on dish just yet. Since I have it installed I can always go back and forth whoever is offering the better service. That is the best thing about all of it. You have a choice.

In my area E* is far ahead of Comcast in HD. They only have the equivalent of the basic $10 HD pack with INHD instead of HDNET. I get the Atlanta locals OTA and will be able to receive them from E* next month. With E* adding STARZ HD, the only premium HD channel that Comcast has over E* is Cinemax HD. E* will shortly have ESPN2 HD, Universal HD, HGTV HD, FOOD HD, and 15 VOOM HD channels. There is a $15.95 monthly rental fee in my area for the 6412 which has only 12 hours of HD storage and does not match up with the 622. I had a good offer to move to Comcast, but decided that their HD offering in my area does not match up and might never match up.

dont24 said:
Don't forget the DVR fees, if you have one. Comast charges $9.95 no matter what package you have. Dish is $5, unless you have the AEP package. AEP package = no DVR fees.

You are assuming that E* is going to give you a "HDDVR" for just a $5 Fee. Did you forget that you will have to pay $$$ for the privilege of using a HDDVR.:rolleyes:

The $9.95 is for HD and the HDDVR. Let compare apples to apples:)

Harry said:
I think HD will severely hurt the satellite carriers. With the E* HD Packages, Comcast is now very competative and they do not down rez their HD content and the locals are in HD already.
Comcast: Added $5 for HD
Digital Platinum $97.40
Digital Gold $87.85
Digital Silver $77.25
Digital Plus $64.76
Digital Classic $59.76
Digital Sports Package $5.00
E*:
DishHD Platinum $104.99
DishHD Gold $74.99
DishHD Silver $64.99
DishHD Bronze $54.99
Since locals are already included in Comcast, you have to compare the w/local prices for E*. Last time I spoke with Comcast, they will buy back my E* equipment so it is now time to decide for me whether to stay w/ E* or not.
** Forgot to add that Comcast will cost an additional $5 for HD **

I will throw this in here, I also put in in the time warner forum, I think I maybe giving the sat. companies a break to figure out what they are doing! for 99 dollars a month, I get Digital cable, HBo, HBO on demand, one hd dvr, one standard box (I upgraded for 4 dollars a month extra to a second dvr) HD tier (an extra 6 dollars a month) Roadrunner plus aol (5 down speed, 2.5 up) also Digital phone (unlimited in the USA and canada) all that for around 109, plus tax, so about 115, I will have tv, internet and phone, where as with dishnetwork I was shelling out 85 bucks a month just for tv, plus 45 a month for roadrunner, and I didnt have a home phone, because we have cell phones!

Now this is a special price because I have dishnetwork, and its part of their sat buy back program, but this price is good for 18 months, then it can only increase by 2 dollars a year! enjoy!
also HD channels on twc(northeast ohio)
HBOHD
HDnet
HDNETmovies
INHD1
INhd2
TNTHD
DISCOVERYHd
EspnHD
ABC
CBS
FOX
NBC
WB
PBS
RUmored very soon ESPN2hd
rumored even sooner National Geographic
UniversalHD (should already be on)
and HD movies on demand!

Last edited:
JohnC said:
In my area E* is far ahead of Comcast in HD. They only have the equivalent of the basic $10 HD pack with INHD instead of HDNET. I get the Atlanta locals OTA and will be able to receive them from E* next month. With E* adding STARZ HD, the only premium HD channel that Comcast has over E* is Cinemax HD. E* will shortly have ESPN2 HD, Universal HD, HGTV HD, FOOD HD, and 15 VOOM HD channels. There is a $15.95 monthly rental fee in my area for the 6412 which has only 12 hours of HD storage and does not match up with the 622. I had a good offer to move to Comcast, but decided that their HD offering in my area does not match up and might never match up.
Where do you guys find time to watch all those channels :) It is so hard for me to find time to watch the recorded Jay leno monologues the next day:(
Just kidding... I guess it is the phase one goes through once in a while. Probably after few more years, I will have enough time to relax in front of TV :)

stuart628 said:
I will throw this in here, I also put in in the time warner forum, I think I maybe giving the sat. companies a break to figure out what they are doing! for 99 dollars a month, I get Digital cable, HBo, HBO on demand, one hd dvr, one standard box (I upgraded for 4 dollars a month extra to a second dvr) HD tier (an extra 6 dollars a month) Roadrunner plus aol (5 down speed, 2.5 up) also Digital phone (unlimited in the USA and canada) all that for around 109, plus tax, so about 115, I will have tv, internet and phone, where as with dishnetwork I was shelling out 85 bucks a month just for tv, plus 45 a month for roadrunner, and I didnt have a home phone, because we have cell phones!
Now this is a special price because I have dishnetwork, and its part of their sat buy back program, but this price is good for 18 months, then it can only increase by 2 dollars a year! enjoy!
also HD channels on twc(northeast ohio)
HBOHD
HDnet
HDNETmovies
INHD1
INhd2
TNTHD
DISCOVERYHd
EspnHD
ABC
CBS
FOX
NBC
WB
PBS
RUmored very soon ESPN2hd
rumored even sooner National Geographic
UniversalHD (should already be on)
and HD movies on demand!

We also have with Comcast:

Starz HD
Cinemax HD
PBS-Kids HD

The networks in HD (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX) for the same price is hard to beat:)

Last edited:
Bulldog said:
You are assuming that E* is going to give you a "HDDVR" for just a $5 Fee. Did you forget that you will have to pay $$$ for the privilege of using a HDDVR.:rolleyes:
The $9.95 is for HD and the HDDVR. Let compare apples to apples:)

True. The $250 up front fee I paid to lease the 942 is ~25 months worth of Comcast DVR fees :( Doesn't include the $99 I'll have to pay to upgrade to the 622.

That's the big problem with E* it seems, you get nickled and dimed anymore. They change something so you have to pay $250+ to get service. Add Voom, some have to buy another dish, $100. They upgrade to Mpeg4, you have to pay $250+ to get new equipment. Price increases, I've seen more in the last two years than the first 4 that I've had E*.

HD is driving this as the Sat's do not have the bandwith to carry the stuff. Result being HD split up on different satellites, Pic Q down-rezed, blah, blah, blah...

And then there is still the buggy receivers. Will the new ones be better? Don't hold your breath. Even after multiple S/W fixes, I have to reboot my 811 at a minimum of once per week, sometimes 3 to 4.

The writing on the wall indicates that cable and phone companies will prevail since they can go to fiber or use existiing coax. I don't see how the Sat's can keep up with them given their limitations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts