Wow.. I can see DCII thru my DVB PCI from TSReader..?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kurtsat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Antelope, California
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let y'all know about TSReader.. I'm definitely surprised I am able to view Digicipher II ??? My PCI DVB card is Twinhan 102g.. I don't know how it happened..?! :eek: Still, it's awesome I can see it! :D Or is it possible bug from TSReader..? Anyone of ya's getting DCII from DVB PCI card??

Attachments

• dcii.JPG
    dcii.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 422
It would be amazing if true, but that's not Digicipher II you're receiving. The Twinhan card can't receive it. It's probably not a bug in TSReader either. The Network Type is probably not set up right in the signals encoder. Digicipher II only uses a few symbol rates and 6510 is not one of them.

The Network Type is probably not set up right in the signals encoder.

Yes and the reason it's not set up right might be because the network in question may use both DCII to distribute some of their signals and DVB to distribute others and on the receive end they probably use receivers which do both DCII and DVB. Anyway, it's not uncommon at all to see this but it doesn't mean this signal is DCII.

Last edited:
Well, I was about to post a thread asking if it is possible to use a Twinhan 102g, or other computer based card, to pick up free DCII signals. While I'm interested in any of them, one of my biggest interest is the Gospel Music Channel on G11 @ 4115 tp 21. Sure would be nice to do that than squeeze out the $ for a DSR-922 since I'm wanting to use that card to pick up 4:2:2 HD wild feeds.

dashaund said:
Well, I was about to post a thread asking if it is possible to use a Twinhan 102g, or other computer based card, to pick up free DCII signals. While I'm interested in any of them, one of my biggest interest is the Gospel Music Channel on G11 @ 4115 tp 21. Sure would be nice to do that than squeeze out the $ for a DSR-922 since I'm wanting to use that card to pick up 4:2:2 HD wild feeds.

The only cards that are currently readily available that can tune in DCII signals are the DVBtech and Genpix adapters. These are USB adapters that connect the 8psk upgrade tuner module for a dish 6000 receiver to your PC. This device was first designed by Rod Hewitt who is the authour of Tsreader and he built a small batch of them initially but then moved on to other things and allowed these others to copy his design. Anyway, the DVBTech design is pretty much the same as Rods initial design and uses the same driver and firmware and has had the ability to tune DCII from day one. The Genpix adapter used a slightly different driver and firmware (I think he developed it himself) and until just recently lacked the ability to tune DCII but just a couple weeks ago he realeased a beta that has DCII support. So, it seems now both of those adapters will tune DCII. Anyway, these units cost around $299 and in addition to these adpaters you need the dish 6000 8psk tuner module. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for under $100.

Now for the bad new. The bad news is that with DCII more is require than just being able to lock the signal. You see most DCII signals, even the ones that are "Free", are actually encrypted. The "free" signals are just encrypted with a fixed key that is known by DCII receivers that have at some time in the past been authorized and haven't had their authorization reset or expire and the signal must still go through the decryption engine to be decrypted with this fixed key. That means that even "free" DCII signals will be scrambled with one of these adapters because these adapters have no DCII decryption engine. The only exception to this is something called "zero key" signals. Zero key signals are totally unencrypted and if you could find any youd be able to get them with this adapter. The only problem is there are very very few DCII signals that are zero key as most all of the FTA DCII signals are actually fixed key. I don't know about the specific signal your asking about but it's 99.9% likely it's fixed key and you wouldn't be able to get it. There are probably less than a hand full of FTA DCII signals that are zero key.

Last edited:
Gospel Music Channel is not in zero key, so you will need that 4dtv (922, 920 or 905) to receive it.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Jeez, I thought just getting the equipment up and running was the most complicated part, but trying to understand all of these programming theories is a chore as well. But fun! Looks like I'll be saving up for a 922.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts