Wow is Google TV a joke

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
We had a few Google TV units in our office we were told we needed to buy (@~250 each) by our rep that said they would be so popular. Needless to say they all sat on a shelf. Now we can't get more than $100 each for them on eBay. The boss gave me the last one, he is supposed to get paid more than $100 for activation by Dish and we both win (or so I thought). I figured, ya I'll help you out, it is only $4/month. Well after hooking it up at home, WHAT A WASTE OF $4/MONTH! Everything is blocked, even "Dishonline". Basically the only thing it does is YouTube and Netflix. I already use my PS3 for Netflix, and like that better. So basically it allows me to watch YouTube on my TV... big deal.

As soon as I have been with it long enough for my boss to get paid I am cancelling it.

Brad

I don't know anything about Google TV boxes. But I just set my sister up with a new LG bluray player that has WiFi connectivity. It does both Netflix (the $8 thing) & free You Tube video right out of the box. It was $128 at Wally World.

I wonder what the $4 a month is supposed to get you?

Cheers

I don't know anything about Google TV boxes. But I just set my sister up with a new LG bluray player that has WiFi connectivity. It does both Netflix (the $8 thing) & free You Tube video right out of the box. It was $128 at Wally World.

I wonder what the $4 a month is supposed to get you?

Cheers
That is for the DISH Exclusive Integrated Search (requires Enhanced DVR Integration fee on account) . It will allow you to search for content on your DVR and the internet in the same search.

In my opinion its a waste of money, you can search through the GoogleTV device and pay $4 extra a month to do it.. or you can grab your DISH remote and get the same results from your satellite receiver for free...

Wait until the Honeycomb update in September and then see if that changes your opinion. The box will become radically different overnight and apps will give you more stuff to do on the device. Otherwise, I use mine to watch HBOGo, CNET TV, Revision3, and Twit on the big screen. I'm a geek and I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Well that dish network app. better work!!!!!! Seeing they dont support the browser!!!! Hear me dish????

I sold mine back before they went too far down in price (over $200)... I was very disappointed with it .. Roku really did as much as what i needed and now that I have 2 Samsung Smart TV's, i really have no use for it.. I think the deciding factor for me was the $6 a month fee dish tried to get and when I did not want to use it to integrate my DVR, some obnoxious message scrolled across my screen telling me that the DVR was not connected... so glad its gone and don't miss it one bit.

We had a few Google TV units in our office we were told we needed to buy (@~250 each) by our rep that said they would be so popular. Needless to say they all sat on a shelf. Now we can't get more than $100 each for them on eBay. The boss gave me the last one, he is supposed to get paid more than $100 for activation by Dish and we both win (or so I thought). I figured, ya I'll help you out, it is only $4/month. Well after hooking it up at home, WHAT A WASTE OF $4/MONTH! Everything is blocked, even "Dishonline". Basically the only thing it does is YouTube and Netflix. I already use my PS3 for Netflix, and like that better. So basically it allows me to watch YouTube on my TV... big deal.

As soon as I have been with it long enough for my boss to get paid I am cancelling it.

Brad

never jumped on this, as there is really no point to it. watching tv on your computer is one thing- computing on your tv is another. besides, most people have a tv, bluray player, or game console that already accomplishes most of the popular tasks (netflix, YouTube, twitter, fb, etc...) AND/OR a tablet or netbook that accompanies them on the couch or bed.

new tech is not always good tech.

I wish they would improve the media player so I can play my DVD and Bluray collection which I have ripped in ISO and MKV format.

That can be done with a PS3. To make things easier, we plug the external hdd w/ ripped movies into the front USB port of our Sony BDP-S380 palyer and play all iso, avi, and mkv files flawlessly. granted, iso and avi extensions need to be changed to mkv with current firmware, but it does not hinder playback.

Last edited:
Wait until the Honeycomb update in September and then see if that changes your opinion. The box will become radically different overnight and apps will give you more stuff to do on the device. Otherwise, I use mine to watch HBOGo, CNET TV, Revision3, and Twit on the big screen. I'm a geek and I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'm a geek too. (Albeit, a better-looking and cooler one than typical) And, I think GTV has been a huge disappointment. It barely does more than Roku or most SmartTV-enabled TV/BDP's.

OTOH, at the current $99 for the Logitech Revue, it does have some value as a general "WebTV" type of device. The 3/4 keyboard makes for much easier YouTube viewing and web browsing than Roku or SmartTV devices. (It's also way superior to the more expensive Sony device with its ridiculously tiny keyboard remote thing with the horrible optical thumb mouse disaster.)

And, in a couple of weeks, when they release the SW update to Honeycomb, it will easily be worth the current $99 price, and probably twice that. (Although, it will NEVER be worth the original $299 price the crack-smoking product marketing team at Logitech came up with.)

I just bought two Revue's when they lowered the price, in anticipation of the update. (My Sony GTV with BD is up for sale, if anyone's interested. You'll love the innovative handheld remote with built-in keyboard and cutting-edge optical touch mouse, btw!)

With V2 of the software its somewhat useless. When honeycomb hits it will have the ability to use apps, stream more media, etc.

I must say I also never saw the reason to have one either. I love gadgets, love my Roku. The best I can say is the Google device tried to do things I already had or really, who needs? The Roku is full of programming beyond what I already get, and the picture for most channels is very good, even great. For me the Roku approach is the one needed, they don't really try to "Integrate" your other sources, an idea that I feel is overrated. Instead it provides a great picture of a huge range of programming, much of it live. I would not use it as a main source of TV, but as an addition it really fills a void.

I would say because it was introduced here as being able to be integrated with Dish specifically, and for an extra cost. The general consensus seems to be not worth it integrated or not....

The fact that it still does Netflix, when Dish owns a simmilar service through Blockbuster is sad.

That like having a DISH Network receiver that is capable of offering offering Directv Cinema.

But I agree, I have google TV at my office and its a joke. Im just going to take a loss on the 2 I still have in stock :(

I agree that Google tv should at least do Blockbuster streaming and I would like to see it do DISH online as well. Then you could turn any HD tv in your home into a second HD tv for tv 2 using dish online /remote access. Then it wouldn't matter if we ever saw the sling extender or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)