WOW silver sensor OTA antenna!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think I'm going to go for the Silver Sensor this weekend. But i think I'll head to sears so that I can get rid of the Terk55 junk I've been using since february... they should make the switch for me, no where on their return policies list a limit.

Acording to the HD Primer the Square Shooter and the Silver Sensor have about the same net gain, so that's why I'm going to try the sensor first, since it's $20 vs the SS's $80

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

The Silver Sensor lets you place the antenna either vertically or horizontally. I got better reception when I put it horizontally.

OH MY GOD!

I just received my Silver Sensor yesterday (Thank you Value Electronics) and what a difference!

I can now pick up my ABC and NBC HD with an average of 80% when before with my Terk it would only get around 50% and there would be no picture. My CBS station was around 80% before now its at 90%.

The stat that really blows me away is, i am able to pick up the PAX digital channels which the tower is located about 40 miles northwest of me in the opposite direction of all the other network stations. I can average 80% signal for the PAX networks. :shocked

I have it setup vertically, but will test it horizontally this weekend.

This antenna is amazing!

I tried the antenna horizontally and it had less reception. I still received all the OTA networks but the signal was about 10 to 15 % less. I switched it back to a vertical position and my CBS bumped back up to 90%

Paul

Is this ONLY an indoor antenna?

OR

Can it be mounted outdoors?

I'm in a low lying area about 25mi south of Pittsburgh and I'm having bad reception problems with my current old outdoor antenna that happens to be missing a few elements from it.

I can reliably tune to my local CBS-HD with about a 75%, but get no picture from ABC-HD and NBC-HD as the signal bounces back and forth between 0% and 40% and will not lock on.

I just wanna make certain that the SS isn't a waste of cash.

Hmmm,

anybody would know if this antenna would work for HD reception in black holes location like where I live? I live up in the mountains but to get to my place first I go up, then down about 0.3 miles, surrounded by trees; the stations according to antennaweb, are about 55 miles away. I can get 3 of my local VHF channels with snowny pic with an outdoor antenna; I also "got" 2 digital channels, meaning, the signal would peak between 40-50% but no lock (I have the dish 811).

Thanks!

F

probably not. This channel is for closer (less then 50 mi) inner city antenna. If the big outdoor antenna isn't working, don't expect better results with the sensor.

bolco said:
Is this ONLY an indoor antenna?

OR

Can it be mounted outdoors?

I'm in a low lying area about 25mi south of Pittsburgh and I'm having bad reception problems with my current old outdoor antenna that happens to be missing a few elements from it.

I can reliably tune to my local CBS-HD with about a 75%, but get no picture from ABC-HD and NBC-HD as the signal bounces back and forth between 0% and 40% and will not lock on.

I just wanna make certain that the SS isn't a waste of cash.

That sounds almost like my situation (I posted a reply already). Let me know how it works for you!

F

BFG said:
probably not. This channel is for closer (less then 50 mi) inner city antenna. If the big outdoor antenna isn't working, don't expect better results with the sensor.

So, not even worth a shot using an amplifier??

Well I guess there's always a first try for everything if you physically want to see if it will work. Do you have a sears near by? Cause you can get one there and return it easily if it doesn't work...

BFG said:
Well I guess there's always a first try for everything if you physically want to see if it will work. Do you have a sears near by? Cause you can get one there and return it easily if it doesn't work...

Yes, I do have a sears nearby. I just want to try a cheap way to get my local HD back, but I guess living where I live right now that won't be possible!

Thanks!

F

I am in Atlanta off Freedom Parkway ... Currently using a Terk HDTVi antenna inside on top of a second story entertainment "wall". I can pick up NBC, CBS, ABC and TBN only. The outside omnidirectional CM SMARTenna supplied at installation would only pick up TBN (who watches that!).

I am tempted to try the Zenith Silver Sensor ... will it pick up VHF as NBC is broadcasted on ch 10. If not what is my best way to get this one VHF station. How does it differ from the Terk which looks the same but adds rabbit ears for VHF.

The terk is an expensive cheap ripoff, that has VHF dipholes. The silver sensor is only designed to recevier UHF channels, but myself and others have been able to receive VHF channels on it.

Do you mount this antenna in your attic, or does it just sit on top of your TV/entertainment unit?

It's a small antenna that stands on it's own. You can place it where you choose. But the ihger the better, so sitting it in the attic would be the better choice.

Can someone give a proper set up description using the Silver Sensor in the attic feeding two 811 Receivers? I am just not sure what kind of splitters, amplifiers...etc would be needed. I am only 17 miles from all of my local broadcast towers and generally have a pretty strong signal on most of them with just a set top antenna.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott.

Sorry this doesn't pertain to HDTV, but I've been desperately looking for an antenna that will work in my apartment. I tried a Radioshack amplified antenna, but my plain rabbit ears work better. Does the Silver Sensor work for non-HDTV? Thanks a lot.

aktick said:
Sorry this doesn't pertain to HDTV, but I've been desperately looking for an antenna that will work in my apartment. I tried a Radioshack amplified antenna, but my plain rabbit ears work better. Does the Silver Sensor work for non-HDTV? Thanks a lot.
The Silver Sensor should work for any digital UHF stations. Most digital TV is UHF now, but there are some VHF, and the Silver Sensor is not good for those. I suppose it would also be a good antenna for analog UHF stations.

Thanks a lot...I'll give it a try I guess, can always return it. I see Sears has them for $40, any B&M stores with them cheaper?

I recently purchased one and it is a good antenna, however it is very directional so I have to move to pick up a few of the stations, I was recently using the RS double bow-tie (looks like a BBQ grill) which is an excellent antenna also, but for me the Silver sensor is a little better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)